Security of bikes...how nickable?

dave905947

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 5, 2012
Wow. My second post as you good people are so good at replying.
Anyway - pestilentially want to leave an electric bike (yet to be purchased ~ £2000) at a train station (Taunton).
With my hybrid bike now (old Dawes Discovery 501) I use two locks: a cable and D-lock. I also leave an unlocked pannier with shoes etc in it. Touch wood never had any trouble. But if if stick an expensive electric bike at the station...how safe do you think it would be? I would obviously be insured but thats not really the point. I want it to be there when I return.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks again in advance.

One of the other Dave's.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
FWIW I'd be more inclined to knock on a few doors of any likely-looking houses near the station and see if any old folk's up for letting you leave your bike with them for a quid a day or whatever

dave905947

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 5, 2012
Yes...that may be worth a try I think. Thanks.
So you wouldn't leave you bike there then!

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
All the advice is not to leave your bike in the same place all the time may be a problem at a station
I leave my bike inside at home and at work so I have not needed a lock but after my crash I
started to think about what if I had to lock it up for the night? a crash or a bad puncture or it just
broke,so I got myself a kryptonite new york lock and chain at 200 euro painfull but may work for a night.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
The security of your bike somewhere like a train station depends on two things - having a good lock and what you lock it to. If you have to leave it at the station get a good quality e.g kryptonite d lock and a chain to secure your wheels if they're quick release.
If your battery is easily removed you could be wise removing it and keeping it with you for the day as they can cost £500+

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
We've had threads about this before, you can get all sorts of chains and locks but bottom line is if they want it they will take it even if it means destroying part of your bike in the process. TBH I would not leave a £2K bike unattended at a train station....buy a really cheap second hand bike make sure its mechanically OK and fit a cheap kit to it taking the battery with you when you leave it.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
want to leave an electric bike (yet to be purchased ~ £2000) at a train station I want it to be there when I return.
Hi Dave.

As NRG has pointed out, it's really not a smart move to park a £2000 bike at a station. Unfortunately, the inherent danger with this kind of posting is that it tends to attract opinions about which lock is the most thief-resistant, also any other methods which might deter bike thieves.

You have expressed in your question that you'd like the bike to be there where you left it each time you return so you need to understand that parking a shiny, new expensive bike at such a location is tantamount to sticking up a notice next to the bike which reads, "Please steal me."

If you look round the bike parks at commuter stations, most of the machines parked there are junk, cheap bikes of little value but serviceable. Their owners would be annoyed to find their bike missing but their loss would be little in monetary terms. If they should be unlucky and have a cheap bike pinched, they'll just buy another cheap bike to replace it.

You could mitigate any potential loss you may incur by using an £800 bike instead. It will probably do nine tenths of what a £2000 bike will do, (maybe more!) but even then, you'd only be reducing the chance of it being nicked marginally. You could also consider an even cheaper new ebike with a warranty or a second-hand model in good working order.

I'll bet you wouldn't consider leaving a £5000 ebike at a station, even with a super-duper locking device so, unless you like a gamble, don't even think about leaving a £2000 bike unattended all day in thief-magnet territory.

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have to carry a chain and D lock around with me and they weigh 5kg. BUT! my bikes are still with me

You on the other hand can buy a HS motorbike chain and leave it secured at station, just carry the D lock and kryptonite cable for wheel with you. Obviously good insurance vital. and if you take the seat and battery with you that will help. as an e bike without keys/charger/battery/seat is hardly worth the bother of steeling..

yes there is more risk leaving bike in same spot all day every day. but if you do the above you should be OK...main problem will probably be scrot's nicking components

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Road sign poles might seem ok to lock your bike to , but a Motorcyclist came back to find that the pole had been uprooted out of the ground and his machine had gone . If they want it , they`ll have it .

D

Deleted member 4366

I have to carry a chain and D lock around with me and they weigh 5kg. BUT! my bikes are still with me
That's right, spend £2000 on a bike that's 5kg lighter than a £500 electric bike and then carry a 5kg lock with you in case it gets nicked. What!??

I say the same as NRG. Get a cheap bike like a Cyclamatic. If it gets nicked, buy another one and another one for a spare and you'll still be better off. A Cyclamatic will get you to the station just as quick as any ebike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Err....... No, not all the time? I access the risk and bring what I see fit depending of were I'm going. If just out for fun and exercise I take nothing

The chap is a road cyclist and obviously enjoys cycling and you want him to buy 2 cyclopathetics:confused:

what does it matter as long as its properly insured

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Err....... No, not all the time? I access the risk and bring what I see fit depending of were I'm going. If just out for fun and exercise I take nothing

The chap is a road cyclist and obviously enjoys cycling and you want him to buy 2 cyclopathetics:confused:

what does it matter as long as its properly insured
There's nothing wrong with a Cycopathamatic. If he bought wisely, he could get five of them for £2000 and still have money left over to celebrate his good fortune at owning them. Have you tried one yet?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Why would I.....Or are you going to try and get me banned because I dont like them

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have never ridden a cyclomatic . We all ride what we can afford , and what serves our purpose or gives us pleasure . As they say , half a loaf is better than no bread . To me , my ebike is the best one in the world , because it is mine . The fact that it really belongs in a vintage vehicle collection is neither here nor there . There was a time when I could have bought any ebike on the market , but those days are long gone . The secret is to be happy with what you have . The most feeble bike in the world still beats having to walk .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have never ridden a cyclomatic . We all ride what we can afford , and what serves our purpose or gives us pleasure . As they say , half a loaf is better than no bread . To me , my ebike is the best one in the world , because it is mine . The fact that it really belongs in a vintage vehicle collection is neither here nor there . There was a time when I could have bought any ebike on the market , but those days are long gone . The secret is to be happy with what you have . The most feeble bike in the world still beats having to walk .
You were doing so well with me nodding agreement line by line, and then you blew it!

I love walking, and there are many ways in which it beats cycling!

D

Deleted member 4366

I've enjoyed every ebike that I've ridden. To be honest, if you ignore the hype, there isn't that much between them. Some are better at some things than others, but they all have advantages and disadvantages that tend to cancel each other out.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
The most feeble bike in the world still beats having to walk .
I've got that bike!.....and you're right. I can't walk these days but I can ride a bike.

Indalo

ps I'll stick with my low-powered crank-drive thank you. It's like cycling for real, giving me just a little help when I get tired and it doesn't go anywhere unless I pedal.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Flecc , I am pleased that you enjoy walking . I used to walk miles as a younger man , and still walk a mere quarter mile every morning after breakfast . I guess what spoils it for me these days is knowing that for the same energy input , I can pedal 3 times as far as walking .

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Wow. My second post as you good people are so good at replying.
Anyway - pestilentially want to leave an electric bike (yet to be purchased ~ £2000) at a train station (Taunton).
With my hybrid bike now (old Dawes Discovery 501) I use two locks: a cable and D-lock. I also leave an unlocked pannier with shoes etc in it. Touch wood never had any trouble. But if if stick an expensive electric bike at the station...how safe do you think it would be? I would obviously be insured but thats not really the point. I want it to be there when I return.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks again in advance.

One of the other Dave's.
Wow.....brave man Dave to even THINK about leaving an electric bike at Taunton station........I would say ....dont do it, I dont care how good your locks are.....and could you rest whilst being away ?......I dont think so........danfoto's idea is a possible good solution......

Lynda :)