Server move

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Server was pinging, other websites on the same server cluster were loading, but the pedelecs.co.uk website was totally unresponsive.

My fangs would have been bloody, fur would have flown, and I'd have walked.

Firefox

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Obviously something still very wrong , this is the second could be third major out for the forum since the move over.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
..., but it now feels to me not just repaired from yesterday's complete mess to being faster than I've ever seen it (before or after the move).
H'mmm, that improvement didn't last long.

? Is the server powered by hemp batteries?

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Obviously something still very wrong , this is the second could be third major out for the forum since the move over.
Admin are very frustrated by this yet again, the server move leading to the current problems was thrust upon them without warning.

A further change is being planned which will hopefully improve matters, but I'll leave that to Admin to announce when it's due to happen.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hosting prices are increasing everywhere, companies are failing or merging as they always are, staff being let go... The hosting you buy never stays the same and at some point, you're always going to have to move somewhere which works better. And it's a massive pain in the **** if you're locked in because your host has developed and moved you to their home grown solution which can't easily be migrated from, to cut costs - that happened to me once recently and it was a long, fiddly and time consuming process. Never again!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The server spec is the same as before. The hosting company moved away from Plesk onto their own management platform.
Server spec may be the same but nothing else may be! PHP version, newer Wordpress etc. etc. there's a lot to go wrong depending on what has been done, and that's even before we start to doubt the integrity of their Plesk replacement.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
H'mmm, that improvement didn't last long.
It still stuttered - I was trying to sound positive after the last "Reboot" or whatever it was that happened, but some threads still took longer to load than before the server move, straight after they switched it off and switched it on again, or whatever it was they did to "Fix" it.

Nimbus has made my "Never buy from!" list. Not at all nimble imho.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I test any new host for at least a month. Because I lose money if they f*ck up. And I threaten lawsuits when they do.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
is there a dark mode for this thing ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I test any new host for at least a month. Because I lose money if they f*ck up. And I threaten lawsuits when they do.
The last episode may not down to the hosting company. Ping from my laptop was unchanged, 9ms. The fault is more likely software, php 8 failed on old code for example.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The last episode may not down to the hosting company. Ping from my laptop was unchanged, 9ms. The fault is more likely software, php 8 failed on old code for example.
It's best to use the most recent, stable and secure PHP version but... it may be hard to stress test Wordpress in the right way to debug, and if a different PHP version with old code has caused issues, new PHP should not have been risked by the hosting company or admin, without redevelopment of the website. I would have walked the moment the hosting company offered to shoehorn my website into a home grown carbunkle of a management system- I have yet to use one which works better than industry standard tools. Plus their hosting may be cloud based :eek:, which does look great in theory. I tried and rejected a cloud-based host recently.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's less to worry about switching to dark on that website - it's far simpler in terms of colour.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Let's hope it's easy to debug.

Many years ago, I stress tested code over a network using key automation on several PCs. Now of course, there are many online tools - hosts need to be warned before they're used.

Last edited:

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I've just got a pair of Knog Led usb lights free with 6 months subscription for Cycling magazine. Fit perfectly within the frame of my trailer. They fix on with a rubber band, a magnetic clip the light fixes to, charged by a usb blade straight into a usb A socket.

Screenshot_20221207-164147.png
Screenshot_20221207-164117.png
Screenshot_20221207-164039.pngScreenshot_20221207-164000.png

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Offline for several hours last night.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One minor thing on the site, not related to the server.
When you select 'new posts' it serves a url that includes some time indication,
and puts that decorated url on the address bar, eg
h t t p s://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/2341919/
This means that F5 refresh does not work appropriately.
It would be much better if as with most similar sites it left the url as submitted, eg
h t t p s://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/
I've just found a workaround that does what I need.
'Whats New' https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/
behaves very similarly to 'New Posts' https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts/
but F5/Refresh work correctly as it doesn't corrupt the url in the address bar.

I guess it might occasionally show updates that aren't posts; I haven't seen that yet.
It does show already read recent posts as well, but that is not an issue.
(I was already using stylebot so that unread posts are more clearly highlit than with the default stying).

Advertisers