Shimano Derailleurs

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Is anyone an expert on the different Shimano rear derailleur types?
The reason I ask is that I've ordered an Alivio, but been sent an Altus. According to the Shimano website they do the same things, in terms of front and rear gear combinations, but they seem to retail at different prices. Anyone know what the difference is?

Nick

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
Hi Nick,
Alivio is slightly higher up the food chain than Altus, both are compatible with 8spd, both are similar in appearance. The only noticable difference is that Altus has the oversized cheaper jockey wheels. This makes the gear shift a bit different,slightly more clunky, compared to the normal sized jockey wheels on an Alivio mech. It's chalk and cheese as to which you prefer. The Alivio is technically better though, and will perform more like it's higher spec siblings. Hope that is of some help.
All the best
Lloyd

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Thanks Lloyd,

I've already sent the suppliers an email; I think I'll have to follow it up.

Nick

nikon201

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2008
Kent
Thanks for that Lloyd, I have found the Shimano website almost useless for information about their range, as to which is better than which. Are you getting this information from another source that you can share with us?

Jon

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
The Altus on my Giant Suede is very clunky but there is a suspicion that the particular pedelec control system on the Suede is at least a partial cause. My local bike shop did say that the Altus is 'low-end'. If you look at the Giant range, for example, the cheaper bikes tend to have the Altus, then they go through to the Alivio, and the dearer bikes have the Deore.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I differ slightly in preferring larger jockey wheels for their efficiency, but I've never used the Altus, normally opting for the Acera Smartcage rear mechanism on up to 8 speed. Not high end, but they change as slickly as anyone could wish when properly adjusted, even instantly doing 10 tooth jumps up to megarange sprockets (24 up to 34 tooth).

But of course I use twistgrip controls rather than faffing about with the dual levers the cognoscenti seem to prefer. :p

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
But of course I use twistgrip controls rather than faffing about with the dual levers the cognoscenti seem to prefer. :p
Nothing wrong with a twistgrip as long as it is a decent one. Unfortunately the one on the Suede wasn't. If you managed to generate enough power in your wrist to turn the grip you went through at least three gears!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing wrong with a twistgrip as long as it is a decent one. Unfortunately the one on the Suede wasn't. If you managed to generate enough power in your wrist to turn the grip you went through at least three gears!
True Bob! I always use the SRAM ones that are Shimano compatible, no problem with anything from one to all the gears changed with the five, six and seven gear ones I'd had. They're firm acting, but very positive.

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Thanks for that Lloyd, I have found the Shimano website almost useless for information about their range, as to which is better than which. Are you getting this information from another source that you can share with us?

Jon
I have found that some of the custom bike makers have good explanations of the different ranges of Shimano and Campagnolo 'group sets'. Ribble.co.uk is a good example, as you can build a bike online and choose from numerous different options (each of which has a summary specification). However,
as you might expect, they do tend only to go down to the medium range components (in Shimano's case Tiagra), such as would be found on a £400-£500 road bike.

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
The Kalkhoff Tasman has a Shimano Nexus twist grip gear shifter. I have found it very easy to use, very little effort, smooth and precise.

Iain :D

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham

Jon
Hi Jon,
Unfortunately not. My only resource is years working as a cycle mechanic in various Shimano service centres. :( Although I'm happy to try and answer any questions you may have, I have worked with most of the wonderful stuff (and some of the less wonderful.....:eek: ) that they have made over the last god-knows-how-many-years. And yes Flecc you're right about the mega range, that is originally what they developed the oversize jockey wheels for, the huge jump into lowest gear, as the smaller ones were too small and the mech cage would foul the sprocket. There was a phase where all bikes had mega range so now the big jockey wheels stay, to allow compatability, but they work fine with non-mega range sprockets.
All the best
Lloyd