Shopping on Ebikes

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Is anyone doing their weekly shop on their ebike?

I'm trying to switch from car to bike. The first time I went a bit crazy an nearly broke my panniers but it was pretty much the equivalent of a full car load.

I've now reduced it to the equivalent of a small shop or half a full shop. I only use two large rear panniers and a medium sized rucksack but that seems more than adequate. I have to use the 36V workhorse bike but it seems more than up to the job although the ride feels very strange with all that extra weight.

It always depresses me slightly though when I turn up and mine is the only bike amongst the sea of cars in the supermarket carpark.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
We shop every 4 to 6 week so use the car for that, but I do use my ebike to go get the fresh stuff and veggies for the piggies. I use a basket on the back rack and a rucksack if necessary and Wilma handles it with aplomb, doesn't it make you feel great?

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Is that a term of endearment, or do you really have pigs?

And yes, I must admit, it does make me feel good!
I have Guinea pigs and boy can they motor through their veggies *lol*

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I nip down to Tescos every day or so at around 7pm, fill up the panniers with any half price bargains and come home feeling smug, :)
:D Sounds familiar ! :p

Miznomer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2010
I try to do most of my shopping on the bike, the motor makes the 10 mile, hilly round trip much more attractive. However, since putting up a polytunnel last year, i rarely seem to have to shop more often than i am otherwise out with the car. On sunny days i find myself looking around for things i might need as a pretext to go out on the bike and feel all happy and smug cruising up the hill that is our main street.
I don't know if it's where you live, but i'm noticing a lot more cyclists on the road over here in Ireland - particularly in the cities.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer

I'm trying to switch from car to bike. The first time I went a bit crazy an nearly broke my panniers but it was pretty much the equivalent of a full car load.

I've now reduced it to the equivalent of a small shop or half a full shop. I only use two large rear panniers and a medium sized rucksack but that seems more than adequate. I have to use the 36V workhorse bike but it seems more than up to the job although the ride feels very strange with all that extra weight.

It always depresses me slightly though when I turn up and mine is the only bike amongst the sea of cars in the supermarket carpark.
I do it on my A2B Metro or Urban Mover UM44S. If you shop at Waitrose they lend you a cycle trailer FOC to use....

real_ale

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2010
I nipped to Aldi on my bike today but as a stereotypical man I only went for gloves but came out with loads of gadgets, so I couldnt manage any food - oops! My wife wasnt happy

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Wow, impressive 7-wheeler !! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shopped for many years by bike, including when on unpowered bikes.

Members might have been amused at an arrangement I had at one time, a supermarket wire basket attachment
system so that I could clip the wire basket onto the carrier. Very green, no plastic bags, just goods from basket to
basket, then home.

Was it a supermarket basket I stole? No!

I'd gone into Focus DIY one day and saw some of these wire baskets on a display stand with other goods for sale.
I mischievously asked an assistant how much they were, and the surprised lad said they were free, "just help
yourself".

So I did, just put the goods I bought into one and checked out with the basket as well. It had blue plastic clad
handles, unlike the orange clad Sainsburys ones where I shopped, so no risk of misunderstanding. :)

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Whilst camping in Cambridge a couple of weeks ago, I cycled to the nearest Waitrose - I was really encouraged by the size of the cycle park - it was huge and appeared to be really well used.

I sometimes use my bike to buy eggs from a farm approximately 1 mile down a country lane - to date I have only cracked one egg, which is pretty good going I reckon.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Members might have been amused at an arrangement I had at one time, a supermarket wire basket attachment system so that I could clip the wire basket onto the carrier. Very green, no plastic bags, just goods from basket to basket, then home.
My previous bike had a Tescos basket on the rack. Go round the back of a big Tescos and you'll probably find a graveyard for retired baskets and trolleys. Have a word with someone and you can take your pick! I've now switched to Adie baskets as they're cheap and look more appropriate, but I'm impressed you did a quick release arrangement.

My record is probably on the Megascooter (Suzuki Burgman). One xmas the car threw a cam belt so I had to use that for all the shopping. My best was a turkey under the seat and the xmas tree on the back.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's quite something on the Burgman, big though it is.

I used to do the main Christmas shop with my large trailer, parking it in a Sainsburys Warlingham car bay to the
great amusement of car drivers. I'd turn the bike alongside the trailer and lock them together for security:

enlarged_trailer_&_bike.jpg

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007

I do a weekly shop on my bike, I have 41 litre panniers which fit two sainsbury jute bagfuls, then on the carrier I put a freezer bag and attached it with those elastic bungi straps. Then on the handlebars I have two of the Tesco jute bags they have shorter handles so don't rub on the wheels, which I put light things in.

I ride a Technium and Sparta and Gazelle, obviously not at the same time.
:p
The Gazelle and Technium are the best as they have a good stand that is stable whilst packing, which does take a bit of time.

Marina