Short but hilly commute? Which bike.

Sara_H

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice please.

I've been riding my bike to work all my adult life and don't own a car. My commute is only 5 miles, but quite hilly. For this reason I use a commuterized mountain bike as the gearing helps with the hills.

Unfortunately, I was very ill a couple of months ago and am taking some time to build my strength back up. I can't get out on my bike as I can't manage the hills.

I am lookinhg to get a bike so that I can start going about my buisness by bike again.

I would be looking for a ladies step through frame, with the capability to carry panniers.

Other than that I'm pretty clueless.

I was browsing this forum yesterday and noticed the Whoosh Sant Ana, which looks like the sort of thing I'm after. I've had an email exchange with Hatti at whoosh who was very helpful and seemed to think the bike would be suitable.

Any advice or reccomendations would be welcome, I don't want to make an expensive mistake and buy the wrong bike.

Thanks in advance, Sara_H

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hello (again) Sarah - it was me in the other place who suggested you look at woosh.

Given your particular circumstances, I doubt there's much point in looking any further.

Ebikes in this price range are of similar quality and the riding experience doesn't differ a great deal.

The only other bike I would suggest you look at is the Kudos Duchess.

Kudos, like woosh, pass the good retailer test - Dave from the company is a regular on here, as are many satisfied customers.

The bike has a carrier mounted battery and a front hub motor, but its power output will be similar to the Sant Ana.

It comes with panniers and a front carrier, so is better set up out of the box for luggage.

The Duchess also has a three-speed hub rather than a six-speed derailleur.

I wouldn't worry about only three gears, you tend to change less often on an ebike.

As I think you already know, hub gears are cleaner and need a little less maintenance.

Only downside is the Kudos is £200 more.

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Sara_H

Mar 13, 2013
Hello (again) Sarah - it was me in the other place who suggested you look at woosh.

Given your particular circumstances, I doubt there's much point in looking any further.

Ebikes in this price range are of similar quality and the riding experience doesn't differ a great deal.

The only other bike I would suggest you look at is the Kudos Duchess.

Kudos, like woosh, pass the good retailer test - Dave from the company is a regular on here, as are many satisfied customers.

The bike has a carrier mounted battery and a front hub motor, but its power output will be similar to the Sant Ana.

It comes with panniers and a front carrier, so is better set up out of the box for luggage.

The Duchess also has a three-speed hub rather than a six-speed derailleur.

I wouldn't worry about only three gears, you tend to change less often on an ebike.

As I think you already know, hub gears are cleaner and need a little less maintenance.

Only downside is the Kudos is £200 more.

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.
Ah yes - thanks for your help.

We're hopefully going to look at Poerbikes in Long Eaton at the weekend and then mull it over a bit more.

I'm dithering a bit because I'm hoping its a temporary thing and I'll get my strength back. But as you said, I can always resell if I find I don't need the assisstance any more.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Welcome sara, it would be nice if you could manage to try some bikes beforehand....are you anywhere near Redbridge, N. London because there will be LOTS to try out there on the 7th April, well worth the trip if possible and the Woosh and Kudos bikes will obviously be there too.

I dont know your budget but it would be a good idea to consider the Tonaro Esprit which is a good hill climber they will be there along with Ezee bikes that are also well worth considering.

In fact, a plethora of bikes to try to choose between :D

I know....it gets confusing doesnt it.....so many bikes....so little time and the added problem of the varying prices makes it a difficult choice, but still best to try a few first.

Have fun !

Lynda :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ah yes - thanks for your help.

We're hopefully going to look at Poerbikes in Long Eaton at the weekend and then mull it over a bit more.

I'm dithering a bit because I'm hoping its a temporary thing and I'll get my strength back. But as you said, I can always resell if I find I don't need the assisstance any more.

Hopefully the shop in Long Eaton will let you have a go on one.

Worth doing, even if it's not the exact bike you want to buy.

They all have similar levels of grunt, so a test ride will give you a good idea if an ebike will do the job or not.

Sara_H

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

After my test ride at Long Eaton (many thanks to the chaps there who were very helpful and lovely) I've decided to take the plunge.

I've ordered a Whoosh Sant Ana and am expecting it to arrive in a few days time.

I'll be sure to post a review when I've used it for a few weeks.

Sara_H.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
;););):rolleyes: No chance! - You'll never go back to sweating on an unpowered bike once you've sailed up a few hills on an ebike:

First time you try unpowered, you'll wonder if there's been an earthquake that's raised all the hills by 50% .

Sara_H

Mar 13, 2013
;) No chance! - You'll never go back to sweating on an unpowered bike once you've sailed up a few hills on an ebike:

First time you try unpowered, you'll wonder if there's been an earthquake that's raised all the hills by 50% .
;) Hmmmm. We'll see!

TBH, thats why I've dithered over the decision. I love cycling, and pride myself on getting about under my own steam, but am I am concerned that this will be the end of my non powered cycling days - which I don't feel ready to accept at the minute.

I feel I've let myself dwn, in a way. BUT, ho hum, at the minute, I can't really ride usefully at all, so if the powered option means I can get out and about again then this is a good and positive thing.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
;) Hmmmm. We'll see!

TBH, thats why I've dithered over the decision. I love cycling, and pride myself on getting about under my own steam, but am I am concerned that this will be the end of my non powered cycling days - which I don't feel ready to accept at the minute.

I feel I've let myself dwn, in a way. BUT, ho hum, at the minute, I can't really ride usefully at all, so if the powered option means I can get out and about again then this is a good and positive thing.
You can always opt to pedal unaided if exercise is your concern. Its a bit like having chocolate in the house and not eating it all at once. It just requires a bit of discipline. But its a nice treat to have on hand.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I've posted this before, but...

I recently rode one of our local trails with. 68-yr-old chap who cycles, fairly competetively, 50 - 80 miles a week.

He was struggling up a nasty hill, unaided, on the granny ring & ssllooww.

I (63-yrs-old) followed on my 250 watt bouncer, quite comfortably & having to use less & less throttle as we slowed, in order to stay behind him.

At the top he thanked me for not showing him up & asked how much a bike like mine would cost :)

The point being, you don't necessarily use all the power all the time - but it takes the sting out of the hills: I regularly burn 50 - 70 calories per mile & enjoy 30 - 40 mile rides that I wouldn't even contemplate unassisted.

The Grin goes on for miles & miles & miles.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
;) Hmmmm. We'll see!

The fact is that with e-assistance you'll almost certainly cycle far more than ever before, simply because it's so much more enjoyable. That's what most find and the result is usually a fitness gain rather than a loss.

Sara_H

Mar 13, 2013
Well, I must admit, the hill upto my house has always been my nemesis and even before I was ill I've considered an electric bike. The last 1.5 mile of my commute is a drag uphill, I gain 410 feet and have an avarage gradient of 5%. I'm reduced to walking pace, which obviously adds alot of time on to my ourney.

Now that I've accepted that I will find it useful, I've been thinking of all the places I'll be able to bike to that I would have been put off by because of the hill previously.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Methinks you could soon be sizing up a 2nd battery to go on the rack: Think of the range......:)

Sara_H

Mar 13, 2013
LOL - just been plotting a route to my friends house 20 miles away!

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hello Sara_H you may find that after a while with your new Ebike you will get back home still with a smile on your face and want to go off again and check out places you would never go to on your old push bike.
Bring on the good old warm summer, must get spare battery!!!!

Bob

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
I ride both , yes it's great to stress and strain on the hills unpowered . But what's nicer is the fact I can ride over 40 miles and still come back wanting to do it again :))))

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
If you have the Ah to spare and enough power to make a sensible difference to climbing effort carrying all that extra weight on the bike, you'll be motivated to go climb places you wouldn't otherwise go - or would only go once in a blue moon when you're feeling especially up for a challenge. And that's real added value, as your eBike is opening up new horizons not just helping you keep making your existing ones. Helps swallow the costs of it all too ! :cool: