Short distance folding ebike to put in the boot of my EV

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am doing a lot of mileage in my Hyundai Kona Electric for work. I work in the EV charging industry as a Senior Project Manager so have lots of clients to see all over the country. I have an Orbea Wild FS as my main ebike but would like to take one travelling with me in the car. The Kona Electric has a small boot like the Golf or A3. I want a cheap folding ebike that I can fit in the boot and park and ride to the customers I visit. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, thank you.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
And by cheap, how much do you mean ?
Around £1K, I don't want a Brompton, just something for occasional use. I would need an XL frame and range would be fine at 30 miles. I weigh 101KG so I'm heavy, which can destroy range and bikes in general.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
almost all folding bikes selling for £1,000 have tiny battery capacity for 30 miles.
You'll need at a very least 36V 10AH.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think your problem is more frame size rather than weight or range. Folding bikes by definition are most often "small" in size - at least when I tried a few before buying. I'm 5'10", weigh more than you, and my other normal/e-bikes are "L" not "XL" framed. I found "reach" on all the folders I tried was by far the biggest issue. They all felt short/cramped.

Fiido's D11/21 have a 36v 11.6Ah seat-post battery which will easily cover the range you need and are priced around your budget. I bought a Fiido D11 and added a riser-bar to ease the reach. But if you're normally an XL... I wouldn't even consider it.

Reactions: Jon Matthews

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thank you both for replying. I think I'll go and sit on one at Decathlon or just buy an unpowered bike and convert it.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
So in the end I made the decision to buy an Engwe C20 Pro at just under £900. I assembled it this evening and rode it for half a mile. The frame is very well sized for a larger rider and it's amazing value for the performance. 250 watt Bafang hub motor and a 36 volt 19.2 AH battery. There are a few niggles, but nothing serious. There's a 20 page booklet for the controller alone with an unbelievable amount of settings you can play with. One of the main issues for me is the front brake is on the left hand side. Why would anyone set up a bike like that when only 10% of the worlds population are left handed? It goes against the laws of physics. I will sort that out and most likely fit a hydraulic front brake, on the right hand side, if I can find one to fit the mounting bracket hole centres. There is another issue, that when the bikes folded, there is nothing to stop it just falling over.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
that's how it is in other countries USA Europe etc some manufacturers don't change for destination countries yours is obviously one. Google it.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So in the end I made the decision to buy an Engwe C20 Pro at just under £900. I assembled it this evening and rode it for half a mile. The frame is very well sized for a larger rider and it's amazing value for the performance. 250 watt Bafang hub motor and a 36 volt 19.2 AH battery. There are a few niggles, but nothing serious. There's a 20 page booklet for the controller alone with an unbelievable amount of settings you can play with. One of the main issues for me is the front brake is on the left hand side. Why would anyone set up a bike like that when only 10% of the worlds population are left handed? It goes against the laws of physics. I will sort that out and most likely fit a hydraulic front brake, on the right hand side, if I can find one to fit the mounting bracket hole centres. There is another issue, that when the bikes folded, there is nothing to stop it just falling over.
I think that 36V 19.2AH is a misprint. Such a battery would not fit inside the main tube. It's likely 36V 12AH, still very good value for money.
You have cable pull brakes. To change side, just release both brake cables and refit to the opposite handle.

• Agree

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I think that 36V 19.2AH is a misprint. Such a battery would not fit inside the main tube.
I did wonder about that as it's the same size as the 10AH model. Time will tell, I might weigh it and compare it to my Bosch 625WH Powertube.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A lot of non UK made bikes have reversed brake lever function, it isn't anythng to do with being L or R handed. Unless the bike is made for the UK market one will find this to be the case, it is an imorted bike that wasn't originally destined for the UK market.

• Agree

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I think that 36V 19.2AH is a misprint. Such a battery would not fit inside the main tube. It's likely 36V 12AH, still very good value for money.
I'm not sure if 19.2Ah is true either, but I did watch a couple of YT video reviews of this e-bike that seem to confirm it is 19.2Ah, and the Engwe website(s) do confirm it is too.

What I think makes it believable is that the front battery-holding half of the main tube (from the folding hinge forward) is unusually longer than e-bikes of a similar style, so much so that this Engwe C20P is nearly 6" longer than my own Fiido D11 folding e-bike: That may be to accommodate the extra length/bigger battery, and may also explain why Jon feels "The frame is very well sized for a larger rider" too? The downside of that uneven fold is that the two halves of the folded bike are unbalanced which I think might make it very difficult to trolley (push along) in folded form as many often do with other folding bikes, and at 25Kg would be quite heavy and awkward to lift and carry instead. My own Fiido is 17.5Kg in comparison and I find that enough of a handful trolleying along platforms, manhandling up/down stairs and on/off trains, and lobbing in and out of my own car boot.

I do hope @Jon Matthews you update us in a few weeks of use to let us know how well this Engwe C20P works for you given your intended work/commute ride.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Absolutely I'll update you when I get to ride it properly tomorrow. Thanks for the reply, having thought more about the battery the bike is said to weigh 17 KG without the battery and 24 KG with the battery attached which I don't believe either. I'll weigh both tomorrow.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd be interested to know if you can set the current limit to 25A. The manual says you can, but actually using the bike at 25A could cause your battery to degrade quickly.

"8.3 Current limit setting
CUr refers to the current limit setting option. The current limit can be set in the range of 7.0-25.0A."

My battery contains LG MH1 cells, and I daren't increase it from 15A, lest doing so reduces battery lifespan. I only weigh 10 stones now, therefore 15A is enough - 2006 Dahon Helios P8 with Bafang BBS01b and 19.2ah battery, total weight with oodles of extra bits 22.41kg (not including water in the water bottle)..

Last edited:

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
I'll have a look at the current limit settings, though I doubt it will make any difference. I can't imagine it would, as the current is already limited by the resistance of the stator coils. Maybe upping the current limit will just produce more heat than torque. I'll give it a shot, but it's well down my list of priorities.

Llandudno Wisperer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2017
North Wales
In countries that drive on the left hand side, the rear brake is on the left handlebar. There are some exceptions.I bought a Trek in Cyprus and the brakes were set up the European way. The dealer swapped the cables round for me and he admitted that it was safer having the rear brake on the left.

Reactions: Jon Matthews

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
The current limit is not accessible in the setting parameters. Changing to MPH was simple, but I couldn't weigh anything as my scales need two feet on them before the will give a reading.PXL_20220730_112403669.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I couldn't weigh anything as my scales need two feet on them before the will give a reading.
Can you weigh yourself twice for each?

With and without holding the battery and deduct for the difference.

With and without holding the bike and ditto.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Can you weigh yourself twice for each?

With and without holding the battery and deduct for the difference.

With and without holding the bike and ditto.
I'll call in at the vets on Monday and use theirs, they won't mind as I spend a small fortune there.