Shortlist down to 2 (Orbea/Wisper) - Thoughts/Comments

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I knew I'd find it !

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

I thought they were luminaires?

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: Lancslass

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
C

Cyclezee

John - I'm not buying until the New Year, if I can find time to pop in and try a Heinzmann I will (as you were so helpful in my initial search) - but it's still got too many gears for my liking ! (that should give you lot another few pages of posts in response)

Thanks again all
The gears are there for those who want or need them, if not then they don't have to be used or alternatively a couple of chainrings, the front mech and changer can be removed leaving nine.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The gears are there for those who want or need them, if not then they don't have to be used or alternatively a couple of chainrings, the front mech and changer can be removed leaving nine.
May I recommend leaving the front derailleur on as a chain guide. Removing chainrings also helps keep the weight down.

In an ideal world we would have twin chainrings on the front and 7 or 8 gears on the back for a total of 14 or 16 gears with maybe a slightly wider set of ratios than a Rohloff hub.

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
OK, the shortlist's up to three and now includes the Heinzamnn Pan E-TR (thanks for the test ride John).

So as others have suggested I widen my search, I'm ready to listen to suggestions - but unlike before when I hadn't even ridden a pedelec I now have some points of reference - so I have a few "definites" and a few more "preferences"

So, any others I could consider within the following parameters

Definite
  • Torque Sensing
  • Trekking/Hybrid frame (crossbar) "equipped" with (sturdy) rack and mudguards
  • "Rapidfire" trigger gear shifters
Highly Desirable
  • 700C wheel size (could live with 26")
  • Hub gears (I realise this is likely to be mutually exclusive with trigger gearchange)
  • MPH/miles readout on dash/computer
  • Big battery option
  • Not more than £2k
  • Quiet
Indifferent
  • Hand throttle
  • Suspension
  • Brakes (obviously I want them! but I'm not particulalry looking for"state of the art")
Currently, the Wisper 905 Torque has it by a gnat's whisker - but I'm not yet fully convinced.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Highly Desirable
  • Hub gears (I realise this is likely to be mutually exclusive with trigger gearchange)
  • Big battery option
  • Not more than £2k
  • Quiet
1 - I can't (yeah well I do but only because I don't have enough money to convert my other bike) please tell me how you can
2 - Rohloff have a stupid twist shift but for an extra 250 you can fit aftermarket trigger shifters. The Alfine trigger shifter adapts to the Nexus Inter 8 hub
3 - yeah well... what can I say...
4 - vital
5 - more than I can afford
6 - that is a feature not an option :rolleyes:

Still prefer the sexiness of the Orbea

C

Cyclezee

OK, the shortlist's up to three and now includes the Heinzamnn Pan E-TR (thanks for the test ride John).

So as others have suggested I widen my search, I'm ready to listen to suggestions - but unlike before when I hadn't even ridden a pedelec I now have some points of reference - so I have a few "definites" and a few more "preferences"

So, any others I could consider within the following parameters

Definite
  • Torque Sensing
  • Trekking/Hybrid frame (crossbar) "equipped" with (sturdy) rack and mudguards
  • "Rapidfire" trigger gear shifters
Highly Desirable
  • Big battery option
  • Not more than £2k
  • Quiet
Indifferent
  • Hand throttle
  • Suspension
  • Brakes (obviously I want them! but I'm not particulalry looking for"state of the art")
Currently, the Wisper 905 Torque has it by a gnat's whisker - but I'm not yet fully convinced.
Hi terry,

It was nice to meet you again.

However, I don't think a 2 minute ride up and down a cul-de-sac in the dark constitutes a test ride.
I remember when you came a year ago to test ride an Ansmann folder it was the same.
If you ever come again you need to give it an hour and in daylight, otherwise you don't get a true impression or feel for the bike.
Having said that, the week before a customer drove all the way up from Kent, did exactly the same 2 minute ride as you did except it was daylight, now he is the happy owner of a new Heinzmann....as is my wife;)

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
I don't think a 2 minute ride up and down a cul-de-sac in the dark constitutes a test ride.
Can't argue with that John - although I am concious that I don't want to be a time-waster.

I have really only been testing for how the bike(s) pull away from a standing start and how they pull up a short hill. I really need to understand how they behave on the flat especially at or near the limit of assistance speed.

I'd also like to better understand the effect in practive of changing down a gear when going uphill - how does the level of assistance behave when you reduce the amount of effort (torque) being put through the pedals

C

Cyclezee

Can't argue with that John - although I am concious that I don't want to be a time-waster.

I have really only been testing for how the bike(s) pull away from a standing start and how they pull up a short hill. I really need to understand how they behave on the flat especially at or near the limit of assistance speed.

I'd also like to better understand the effect in practive of changing down a gear when going uphill - how does the level of assistance behave when you reduce the amount of effort (torque) being put through the pedals
Understood Terry, in my somewhat biased opinion although we also sell geared motor systems, the Heinzmann DD with torque sensor is smooth and silent, gear changing is just like on a non electric bike with special technique required.
When you reach the cut off point just tapers off smoothly and with the OEM software we can set the top assist speed to 27.5 Km/h / 17 MPH which is the allowable 10% margin. With the latest 1.31 version of Heinzmann's software we can also fine tune the cut off level in each of the 3 assist levels.