Shout Out for Plush Hill Cycles, Telford

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Today, I had a dentist appointment 5 miles away. It takes a relaxed 20 minutes to get there, so I allow 30 minutes because I hate being late. Due to unusual circumstances, I had to stop abruptly in top gear after one mile. Unfortunately, I had set my throttle to be dependent on pedalling, so I had to stand on the pedals to get going, which broke the chain. I had a fully-charged 20Ah battery, so I could have completed the journey by air pedalling, but that would have been a bit weird, and the traffic is very busy on this route, so the frequent start-ups wouldn't be easy. Luckily, 200m away was Plush Hill Cycles, so I thought that maybe they could fit a new chain for me, which would be the best solution.

I burst in, telling them about my emergency, and pleaded with them to fit a chain in 10 minutes. Naturally, the guy wasn't impressed, as he was already busy, neither was he impressed with my poorly maintained bike. He didn't want anything to do with it, but I carried on pleading until he succumbed. He dropped what he was doing and fitted the new chain, so that the total time in the shop was about 15 minutes, which left me 10 minutes to do the remaining 4 miles. I arrived exactly on time. The cost of the repair, including the chain, was £24, which I think is very reasonable. The worst thing was having to take the advice about maintaining my bike. I felt like a naughty schoolkid. Now I'm going to have to take it again from you lot.

This event has nearly doubled the cost of maintaining my bike in the 10 years that I've owned it, not counting the batteries that I keep changing for experimental reasons.

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Why didn't you re-set the gears to a lower one before setting off? (Change gear, lift back wheel, operate crank)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Unfortunately, I had set my throttle to be dependent on pedalling
Sorry if this is a silly question - I don't know anything about those mysterious KT controllers and display things: Why couldn't you have changed that setting to independent throttle control en-route?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Naturally, the guy wasn't impressed, as he was already busy, neither was he impressed with my poorly maintained bike. He didn't want anything to do with it, but I carried on pleading until he succumbed.
(...)
The worst thing was having to take the advice about maintaining my bike. I felt like a naughty schoolkid. Now I'm going to have to take it again from you lot.
Perhaps next time divert conversation to less controversial topic like "mid drives suck" or "don't buy new Bosch, get bike from scrap yard instead".

;)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Ah well, £24 for a new chain, can't complain, you've probably saved that and some by not buying any chain oil, grease or muc-off for the last 20 years lol

• :D
Reactions: robert44

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
So, after receiving several lectures about the importance of fitting hydraulic brakes.

And guilt shaming me into upgrading my brakes.

Turns out the the forum guru does zero maintenance on his own bike, including brakes I presume.

LOL only kidding mate ....don't block me :}

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Always carry a quick link with you.
I do, seems crazy not to with a mid-drive. Also a chain link remover. I assumed @saneagle would carry both in his toolkit. I even carry magic link removal pliers (lower plastic bag, with magic link, a chain link, link removal Topeak tool) and a throttle for if a leg falls off (top plastic bag) and more besides. I've been prepared ever since Bruce Willis told me "Be prepared. Satan Claws is out there." in The Last Boy Scout, which I thought was great advice. It's stood me in good stead.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sorry if this is a silly question - I don't know anything about those mysterious KT controllers and display things: Why couldn't you have changed that setting to independent throttle control en-route?
Do something illegal?????

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Always carry a quick link with you.
I had a quicklink and a link remover tool, but the chain was quite mangled as well as snapped, and time was against me. The shop also offered to repair the chain, but I didn't bother to bring it, once I saw the damage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do something illegal?????
Gotta live dangerously sometimes, things could become more dangerous with just one leg.

Derailleur gears can't be changed until the chain is moving.
Yes you can! It's grubby but you simply lift the chain (you have to gather a bit of slack first, by compressing the derailleur and rolling some chain through) onto the next gear down, tilt the bike on the kickstand so that the rear wheel is off the ground, turn the gear shift, turn the cranks. Repeat till you're on the low gear you want. Then wipe your hands on a passer by.

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Something fishy about this all, just doesn't add up...
couldn't change to lower gear
couldn't air pedal
couldn't fix chain with chain breaker tool & quicklink (forfeiting a few mangled links and running shorter chain on smaller cog)
couldn't quickly reprogram display for throttle
and then 'paying the man' for an overpriced chain from a swish high end ebike main dealership...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i went to my high end ebikebike shop weekend u got any boost spacers, what are those, ffs :rolleyes:

2 5mm spacers for the axle and one 5mm one for the disc rotor..

computer says no :eek:

dont sell anything like that only over priced crap :oops:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Gotta live dangerously sometimes, things could become more dangerous with just one leg.

Yes you can! It's grubby but you simply lift the chain (you have to gather a bit of slack first, by compressing the derailleur and rolling some chain through) onto the next gear down, tilt the bike on the kickstand so that the rear wheel is off the ground, turn the gear shift, turn the cranks. Repeat till you're on the low gear you want. Then wipe your hands on a passer by.
Actually, I did think about that, but the shop was more or less in sight and I had a pocket full of money. If that guy wouldn't have accepted the job, I would have found another solution.

I should really go back and see what they sell. I was in such a hurry and panic that I didn't have much of a look. there was a green MTB crank drive bike and a higher end light weight hub-motor bike.

I see they have an Orbea demo day on 23rd march. I might pop down and see what's going on. Unfortunately, I have visitors coming at lunchtime, so I can't go out on any of the rides. Why don't you come down, and I'll see you there. you can have a go on my bike if you promise not to nick it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how much did the peg rip offer :eek: charge tho.

20230215_173603[1].jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So, after receiving several lectures about the importance of fitting hydraulic brakes.

And guilt shaming me into upgrading my brakes.

Turns out the the forum guru does zero maintenance on his own bike, including brakes I presume.

LOL only kidding mate ....don't block me :}
1 set of pads in 10 years. The brakes work fine - better than most, though the back one has just started binding a fraction since two days ago. I'm not sure why. I'll have a look next time I use it. Maybe a bit of twig has got stuck in it or I bashed the caliper when parking.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All is OK. It falls under "Do what I say, not what I do" paragraph.
It'll be over in a couple of days. I was prepared for it. I rubbed margerine over myself to make the skin a bit thicker. It seems to be working, I haven't cried yet.

• :D
Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It'll be over in a couple of days. I was prepared for it. I rubbed margerine over myself to make the skin a bit thicker. It seems to be working, I haven't cried yet.
It is not fair we make fun of you. We all have senior moments from time to time.

I started converting bike few days ago. I removed cranks, bottom bracket. All went smooth and with no problems. Then fight with single allen bolt started. One that holds plastic thing and cables under BB. In the end I was hammering it from left to right, up and down. I really thought I will have to resort to angle grinder, but finally I pulled it out after 90 minutes. I was so exhausted mentally, I said "f*** it" and I went to watch Netflix.

Later that day my wife looked at this bike and said:
-Oh.... my bike has no pedals...

Bikes have their ways to demand attention.