Shuddering Panasonic batteries & holders

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
One for anyone with experience of the Panasonic system.

I've had some bad experiences with the "judder" factor on my last Alien conversion. The battery was on a rack at the back but the crappy roads I have to travel (it's not just pot-holes but bad finishing in general) ensured that time and again it came loose (it was a heavy beast mind you) despite tightening, retightening, padding it out etc.

Anyway, been perusing the Kalkhoff and E-motion bikes and I really like the look of them. Question for those of you with experience of them , have you had any problems with fittings and/ or batteries coming loose ?

Appreciate your thoughts on this

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I had my rear carrier snap welds on me and prob the speed bumps round here and the weight of 3 x lead acids didnt help matters and they are to heavy and not practical for an ebike
and only used by peolple because they are cheap as chips!:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's very little trouble with the Panasonic system in this respect, but manufacturing tolerances in the battery lock placement on the frame can cause the odd problem.

However, this can be prevented from new by following the specific advice on my Panasonic website:

Battery security

The overall site link is:

flecc's Panasonic site index

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think 'lemmy' had issues and used a strap around the seat post and battery to hold it firm. However, I've not had any issues so far on my Proconnect...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've been regularly using my Pro-Connect since June 2008 and clocked up a few thousand miles without any battery connection problems.

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I've done 2000 miles with my Raleigh Dover on not well maintained roads and coastal paths (very uneven sand and grit surface with pebbles and stones) without any problems :)

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
My Giant Lafree is over 8 years old and done more than 20,000 miles. It get's lots of abuse on our wonderful roads, but I have never had a battery connection problem.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The older Panasonic battery location system like that on the Lafree was very secure since the battery was locked down by a frame member passing above.

The new units did have the problems I mentioned above, but mainly in the earlier production of the new generation of bikes using the unit.

The problem seems to have largely vanished for later buyers so it may be that the bike frame production standards have become more rigorous in answer to the early troubles experienced. The frame mounted lock to battery platform distance is critical in this respect.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Flecc's old inner tube solution is the answer. I did it on my ProConnect S last year and the battery has never rattled since.

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
All
Many thanks for all your quick replies on this - it's good to know that there have been many thousands of miles put on Panasonics with no battery fixing problems. It's not for nothing it's so well regarded. And I liked the bit on flecc's site which advised the nifty use of some bits of inner tube should any tightening be needed in the battery well.

We all truly have the Blue Peter gene in us . . .

Thanks again . . now , Kalkhoff or Emotion , Kalkhoff or Emotion . . . . .oh bugger

Cheers
Rab

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or Raleigh?
Or Biketec Flyer, Calvin, Gazelle, Gitane, Helkama, Kettler, KTM, Monark, Moover, Panasonic, Puch, Rixe, Simplex, Technium, Victoria and more, all using the Panasonic unit.

It's a takeover! ;)

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Or Biketec Flyer, Calvin, Gazelle, Gitane, Helkama, Kettler, KTM, Monark, Moover, Panasonic, Puch, Rixe, Simplex, Technium, Victoria and more, all using the Panasonic unit.

It's a takeover! ;)
Point taken everyone . . . it's going down the "what have the Romans ever done for us " route :D

Rab

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think 'lemmy' had issues and used a strap around the seat post and battery to hold it firm. However, I've not had any issues so far on my Proconnect...
I did. I still use the strap, a velcro type from B&Q. Just put the battery on and tighten the strap, takes 10 seconds and holds the battery absolutely firmly in place.