Silver Powabyke unknown model help please

D

Deleted member 4366

You misunderstand what i meant. the battery and rack have been taken off a bike with front motor, and put on yours, presumably because there was a problem with the normal battery which sits behind the seat-post.

@new-pooTim Hodges

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
feedback from Powabyke says it is not one of their bikes as they did not do one with rear wheel motor drive.
The battery that sits behind the seat post has an electrical connect from it to the box that sits on the rack(which I have not managed to open as yet.
regards
Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
feedback from Powabyke says it is not one of their bikes as they did not do one with rear wheel motor drive.
The need to have a wander down into their museum. They've made several rear hub motor e-bikes, including the Shopper model below and the "Classic", which was the forerunner of the long running Powabyke Euro:

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
The need to have a wander down into their museum. They've made several rear hub motor e-bikes, including the Shopper model below and the "Classic", which was the forerunner of the long running Powabyke Euro:

Thanks for that - I will pass it on to them. What I haven't got is a charger or any documentation- any idea where I could find information?
regards
Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What I haven't got is a charger or any documentation- any idea where I could find information?
Try this link for a charger Tim, assuming yours is 36 volt.

On the same page, if you click "My Account" you will be able to register and that used to give access to Powabyke manuals once registered.

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
Try this link for a charger Tim, assuming yours is 36 volt.

On the same page, if you click "My Account" you will be able to register and that used to give access to Powabyke manuals once registered.
The manuals refer to the latest bikes - I suppose there must be an archive somewhere for older versions.
regards
Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The manuals refer to the latest bikes - I suppose there must be an archive somewhere for older versions.
regards
Tim
I did check my old links but found 404 returned on them, pages removed. I can only suggest you ring them, there's number on the page I linked to.

I don't know if he still works for them or has retired, but Frank Curran for many years at Powabyke was always very helpful and is a pedelecs forum member.

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
I did check my old links but found 404 returned on them, pages removed. I can only suggest you ring them, there's number on the page I linked to.

I don't know if he still works for them or has retired, but Frank Curran for many years at Powabyke was always very helpful and is a pedelecs forum member.
Frank Curran says that it is a Shopper from 1999 to 2001

• Informative
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

It's a bitsa, made from more than one bike. Can't you see that it has more than one battery?

Is there anything written on the the vertical one behind the seatpost?

My guess is that there's SLA batteries in that horizontal box. You need to open it to see how many. They will almost certainly be knackered if they've been left uncharged, so you need to open the box to replace them anyway.

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
It's a bitsa, made from more than one bike. Can't you see that it has more than one battery?

Is there anything written on the the vertical one behind the seatpost?

My guess is that there's SLA batteries in that horizontal box. You need to open it to see how many. They will almost certainly be knackered if they've been left uncharged, so you need to open the box to replace them anyway.
Thanks for the advice-presume that they will be two sets of batteries in parallel of 36 v each

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the advice-presume that they will be two sets of batteries in parallel of 36 v each
No, if SLAs in the Powabyke box it will be three 12 volt batteries in series, that was Powabykes usual setup. That may then be wired in parallel with the vertical original battery of the other make e-bike.

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
No, if SLAs in the Powabyke box it will be three 12 volt batteries in series, that was Powabykes usual setup. That may then be wired in parallel with the vertical original battery of the other make e-bike.
Thanks and you must then charge each bank of 36 separately?
Tim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks and you must then charge each bank of 36 separately?
Tim
Yes, though how well they will match working coupled together is questionable. Difficult to understand why this is set up in this way.

It may be that the battery mounted in the bike is dud as d8veh has said above. The SLAs in the box may also be dud if they haven't been charged for some while.

@new-pooTim Hodges

Mar 12, 2017
Northwich
Yes, though how well they will match working coupled together is questionable. Difficult to understand why this is set up in this way.

It may be that the battery mounted in the bike is dud as d8veh has said above. The SLAs in the box may also be dud if they haven't been charged for some while.
Will check out when I have found a charger and replace the cells as necessary.
thanks
Tim

D

Deleted member 4366

First, open the cases to see what's inside, then think about a charger. Don't make any assumptions about what's inside.

Once you have the case open, you can charge the batteries one at a time with any 12v charger that is around 2 amps or less. That will enable you to test the batteries before you chuck them and get a proper lithium one.

• :D
Reactions: D8ve