Silverado

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Have a Silverado..for Lady J (partner 5' 2" bad hip) am most surprised (as an Aggatu owner) just how good this bike is for riding, folding, pedaling without power cannot imagine a better machine.
Hi, oldosc

I've read all (I think) of your posts about the Silverado; you seem to be the only member with one!
Would it be fair to infer from what you say that you are pretty impressed, apart from the issue of battery life? I was encouraged about what you say about its hill-climbing, as I would need to do a fair amount of that.
I had a test ride a few weeks ago at Electric Transport Co. on a Blackstar (same manufacturer, single gear), but not on the Silverado, as theirs wasn't charged up, and I really liked it. Think I'd better go back to try the Silverado...
Did you buy yours from them, or direct from GreenEdge?

Anybody else out there with one of these bikes?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jumping in here bode, since the battery issue cropped up in an exchange with oldosc and myself.

The only battery issue on the Silverado was that it's made by Phylion who made the ones that failed so badly on the eZee bikes.

However, Phylion have since made some excellent batteries, so it's only a question mark on the battery in the Silverado, nothing specific.

Given that the motor in the Silverado isn't the same as the very high power units in the eZee bikes, the battery is likely to be less stressed anyway.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Thanks, flecc, but the comment by oldosc that I was thinking of was this one:
Do you think, the battery on Lady J's silverado is of this ilk....(post passem)..I have a little trouble with this bike..so far she has out-performed me on all five trips, me on the |Agattu and her on the diddy bike, the only consolation is range...on the trip when I had a puncture..Her Silverado collapsed at 22 KM (of brutal hills) whilst my Aggatu had 2 lights showing.
I know that's an appaling piece of data (maybe only anecdotal) BUT Lady J is not a v strong biker, and I am amazed how much help the motor is for her)
Actually, on re-reading, it doesn't sound that dire...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually, on re-reading, it doesn't sound that dire...
Yes, probably too subjective for judgement as oldosc acknowledges.

There are so many unknowns on these less common brands, making an element of guesswork unavoidable when choosing them. It's so much easier on brands with dozens of owners and couple of magazine reviews done.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
HI peeps
Have been a little busy with non bike stuff lately (finishing new kitchen, \drive to Portugal, Nad amp packed up and I had to renew a lot of capacators etc)((is that too much guff))
SILVERADO.. took the bike on the Motor home to France Spain Portugal. did a fair bit of Biking..(rem I have a Kalkoff)
We did a 15 mile round trip around Las Medulas..a mountain in N Spain, up from park 600 meters, came down the pretty way then a two mile 10% back, Silverado collapsed at the van, My Kalkoff still going strong but not me..I had to rest 20 mins on the return.
The same result cycling round Porto (another unbeliveably hilly city. Lady J's Silverado was about wasted on return..Kalkoff lights left..but I was wasted,
Another trip was a cycle up to a Moorish castle at Setabul
1000 ft climb...on anything flatish, we both have no trouble with a whole days cycling..20/25 miles..bearing in mind I am still a much more powerful cyclist than Lady J
the Silverado seems to even us out rather well
Osc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The same result cycling round Porto (another unbeliveably hilly city. Lady J's Silverado was about wasted on return..Kalkoff lights left..but I was wasted,
Another trip was a cycle up to a Moorish castle at Setabul
1000 ft climb...on anything flatish, we both have no trouble with a whole days cycling..20/25 miles..bearing in mind I am still a much more powerful cyclist than Lady J
the Silverado seems to even us out rather well
Osc
Thanks oldosc. That's pretty much the usual comparison between hub motors and the Panasonic system, hub motor doing most of the work but greedy with it, the Panasonic unit demanding about half the effort from the rider but much more sparing on consumption.

They sound like interesting rides.

lolbees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2008
Re Silverado

Hi,

I collected my Silverado from The Electric Bike Shop last week and absolutely love it. I've done about 75 miles so far and it has taken at least 5 minutes of fmy 5.5 mile commute to work through East London. I can finally wear a suit for meetings and have no need to get changed ! I will do a full review on here very shortly. Basically its a real star regarding its power and build quality and ruggedness. I did have a problem with the locking bolt not engaging on the battery but got it replaced by the shop this afternoon.

Zaza

Nov 19, 2008
My Silverado

I have a Silverado and am very happy with it.

Think you have to charge the battery after every use no matter how many miles you have done. if you look after the battery it should serve you well.
I'm happy with it's performance on hills and am very happy with the customer service I have been receiving from GreenEdge.

I would have like to have bought a Wisper but they are a much larger bike and so the Silverado seemed more suited to my frame. the price also won it for me over the Wisper.

lolbees

Dec 16, 2008
I charge the battery after every 10-15 miles and this takes 2-3 hours generally. I have now done over 150 miles on it so far. For some reason my review never uploaded so I will try to do it again shortly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I charge the battery after every 10-15 miles and this takes 2-3 hours generally. I have now done over 150 miles on it so far. For some reason my review never uploaded so I will try to do it again shortly.
Reviews usually go via admin to block malicious "spoilers", so they may not appear immediately.