Sinclair C5... I mean X1 anybody?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Looks like Clive Sinclair is dipping a toe back into the personal transport arena with a covered recumbent ebike.

The reg reports here.

Their web site here

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Oh dear, when will he learn that very few people want to ride a recumbant. Apart from that the low power and heavy weight aren't going to win many customers.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Bonkers.

Also the price is listed as £595 but when you click to watch the video it jumps to £999 :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's basically a semi-recumbent with fairing, but given the minimal gyroscopic advantage of those little wheels, it could be nasty in a cross wind and ready to topple in any gust of wind.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the links. I was discussing etrikes at work yesterday and a few colleagues recalled the C5. Interesting he is having another go.

Initall impressions are underpowered and over weight, a little like myself :eek:

Oh and pointless without suspension or does it have that ?

Regards

Jerry

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Bonkers.

Also the price is listed as £595 but when you click to watch the video it jumps to £999 :D
The £595 may include the cycle to work discount.

Not going to add my view of the drawbacks as you probably can all guess them !

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
The amateurish web site, video and, as NRG pointed out, the changing price, doesn't make this very attractive or credible.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Haha I needed a good laugh! I wouldn't even drive one if offered the chance. :D Wheels are too small, the thing is too wide, heavily underpowered and has no side protection. I think its worse than the C5 which came out in my year of birth. At least that had 3 wheels and looked a bit better.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The replacement battery seems reasonable at £50.

He seems to over-invent things. Many features on his vehicle seem to solve problems that don't exist, resulting in monstrosity.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Indeed, an interesting idea but horribly flawed.

I always had a secret longing to own (or at least try) a C5. Not so sure about this though.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Poor Clive, every seems to knock his transport ideas. OK, the C5 and the A-bike may not have been absolutly perfect, but don't forget that this is the man that brought us the Zeta.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I thought you were talking about James Dyson for a minute, it must be a British inventor thing. :)
Yes, he's another one. Do you remember his contra-rotating washing machine drum? What on earth was that all about?

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Twike have been producing these for many years:

Welcome to

If it wasn't for the jaw dropping prices (even without batteries) I would be very interested. I do wonder who buys them at these prices.:eek: