Skidding on leaves

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Since autumn is upon us and the leaves are falling on wet roads and tracks, please take care.

Yesterday evening I had my first cycling accident on well-used cycle track that makes a sharp turn. As I entered the bend on the track I hit a film of mushed-up leaves. Despite my low speed (15 km/h) my bike lost its grip and sent me flying.

I was happy to have helmet and apart from few grazes and bruises, I think my pride took the worst knock.:confused:

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Happened to me on an otherwise pleasant lakeside ride in an autumnal Switzerland. I was on a 20" folder and discovered that the smaller the wheel is,and the shorter the handlebar, the faster you hit the deck! Virtually no warning at all!

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Here in north finland, we have upto 8 months of deep snow and ice, and when i say ice, oh boy is it ice!
Imagen the road, pavement and everything inbetween, a giant ridged ice sheet about 5cm thick!

Locals keep telling me to get spiked tyres.
After 4 years, i still dont have any.
Only come off twice in all that time, and i cycle every day, every where.
Thats because Finnish drivers and riders know how to handle vehicles. Their control is 1000x better than in the UK where even the slighest bit of damp brings an onslaught of crashes due to idiots not having the slighest clue how to read the surface they are driving on. Most surface hazards are not difficult to see/predict and after 25 years riding motorbikes (mopeds through to Hayabusas) on UK roads in all weathers I have yet to be caught out. The best thing anyone can do in the UK is spend a couple of days on a skidpan learning at what point traction is lost and how to deal with it. Further, find an empty open space full of snow/ice and deliberately make the car lose control. If you ride, spend lots of time on an MTB or (if motorbike) a trials bike offroad. Wear protective gear and expect to fall off, but after a while you will be able to throw vehicles around like you wouldnt believe. Having experience of when things can and do let go (and more importantly, being able to know traction limits of various surfaces) is the only way to prepare for when it happens unexpectedly (which it shouldnt....generally..)

The above isnt meant to be patronising, but it does irk me somewhat that 99.99% of drivers do not seek out further training once the simple driving test is passed, nor do they seem to have any interest in trying to further their skills, instead bleating on about how some leaves on a road 'caused' their £50k BMW to become scrap.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thats because Finnish drivers and riders know how to handle vehicles. Their control is 1000x better than in the UK where even the slighest bit of damp brings an onslaught of crashes due to idiots not having the slighest clue how to read the surface they are driving on. Most surface hazards are not difficult to see/predict and after 25 years riding motorbikes (mopeds through to Hayabusas) on UK roads in all weathers I have yet to be caught out. The best thing anyone can do in the UK is spend a couple of days on a skidpan learning at what point traction is lost and how to deal with it. Further, find an empty open space full of snow/ice and deliberately make the car lose control. If you ride, spend lots of time on an MTB or (if motorbike) a trials bike offroad. Wear protective gear and expect to fall off, but after a while you will be able to throw vehicles around like you wouldnt believe. Having experience of when things can and do let go (and more importantly, being able to know traction limits of various surfaces) is the only way to prepare for when it happens unexpectedly (which it shouldnt....generally..)

The above isnt meant to be patronising, but it does irk me somewhat that 99.99% of drivers do not seek out further training once the simple driving test is passed, nor do they seem to have any interest in trying to further their skills, instead bleating on about how some leaves on a road 'caused' their £50k BMW to become scrap.
You could also grow up on a farm in NZ, best 379 hectare skid pad in the world where I grew up :rolleyes:

Oh and "Houston, we have leaves!" Took a while but temperatures are finally down and leaves have started changing colour and falling off :eek:

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
I'm compiling the ultimate skid list...
Ice
Mud
Puke
Wood
Acorns
Tree roots
Pine cones

The puke story from Wicky was a first for me. If there are any other unexpected dangers lurking out there please add them with your story.
Add Pea Pods spilled by the Birds Eye picking lorries in the pea picking season, and sugar beet later on in the autumn

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I destroyed a Smart (car) on a heady mix of autumn leaves and aviation fuel. I also had another moment on aviation fuel in a roundabout near the local airport, it doesn't mix well with water, even light drizzle. I went half way round the roundabout looking at the car which was following me through the windscreen, I thought it was quite funny but he didn't seem to appreciate my clever driving i.e. not blending myself with the street furniture.

Please add aviation fuel to your list.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Add Pea Pods spilled by the Birds Eye picking lorries in the pea picking season, and sugar beet later on in the autumn
Sugar beets now they are humongous marbles :eek:.
I suppose if you had some cows you could feed them :D.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing