'Slim' rear brake caliper upgrade recommendations please...

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Hey all,

Wanting to upgrade the crappy Chinese mechanical disc brakes on my Cyclotricity Stealth but finding a replacement for the rear caliper a real challenge due to rubbing on the motor housing with anything wider than the standard item.

Did consider keeping them mechanical and upgrading to Avid BB7 but they have pad adjusters each side - too wide.

Looked at all the bottom end Shimano hydraulic range (M355, 505, Deore etc) - rear caliper too wide.

Has anybody got any experience of this or suggest any solutions?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The twin actuated Shimano's are good even the entry level ones, your issue is probably with that kit is the D/D motor is quite large so getting any to fit will need some fettling. you could try some extra axle washers to give a few more mm to play with or you may have to try a larger disc and adapter. In extreme cases some have even ground a bit off the caliper but it is not something I would agree to.

Last edited:

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Thanks for the replies guys. Did consider a bigger rotor bur even a 180mm wouldn't clear it. Just discovered you can get a 203mm though which might do the trick. I'll have a measure tonight to confirm.

you could try some extra axle washers to give a few more mm to play with
Trouble is that moving the disc away from the hub means it fouls the wire route into the motor. There is literally 2mm clearance.

Last edited:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I had this problem and the thinnest caliper I found was a Clarke Exo Skeletal which did
the job.

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E