Slime.

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022
Can you put slime in any bike tyre, or is it better the buy tyres that puncture less, if there is such a thing?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they do work but going fully tubeless with sealant is the way to go.

as for tyres i use super gravity ones used for hard down hill riding but there like 1.1kg each and i have never had a flat or anything even make it in to the inside of the tyre.

you just top up every 3 months with 50ml each wheel

Reactions: AndyBike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've not tried tubeless; where practicable that probably is the way to go.

I've tried slime, complete pain. It didn't stop a puncture, and a mess over the inner tube (practically unrepairable) and the inside of the outer. Other people have reported good success with it; my experience was some years ago, so maybe they have better slime these days?

Marathon Plus have been brilliant for me over many years; but the ride is not the smoothest and very poor sideways grip, eg in thin mud.

Reactions: joelectric

RHB123

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2022

I've tried slime, complete pain. It didn't stop a puncture, and a mess over the inner tube (practically unrepairable) and the inside of the outer. Other people have reported good success with it; my experience was some years ago, so maybe they have better slime these days?

Marathon Plus have been brilliant for me over many years; but the ride is not the smoothest and very poor sideways grip, eg in thin mud.
SJPT Interesting thanks for that., Just that at my age, I don't want to struggle with punctures while out on a ride to be honest. I expect the type of tyres you get on cheaper Chinese bikes are the worse, maybe someone will correct me? I'll just have to watch a few more "How to repair a puncture" videos I guess and be prepared.

Reactions: Bikes4two

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've also tried slime, more than once with different makes, completely useless, just makes a mess.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre are a far better solution. Not ideal tyres but in many years with them only one slow puncture from a long thorn. After a pumping top up, I was still able to ride 12 miles home without repairing it first.

ArthurG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2021
I've recently changed to Schwalbe Marathon plus. I had a puncture on the first outing, but none in 4 weeks since (probably about 150 miles). I put a slime tube as a replacement for the punctured tube and will replace the other with a slimed one if and when that gets punctured. Previous to changing tyres I had a couple of bad weekends with punctures. I do live in rural North Wales and there was a lot of hedgecutting going on then. A friend put Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus on his. He also had a puncture on the first day of use and now swears by the combination of the Schwalbe puncture resistant tyres with a slimed tube.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I find continental top contact plus is better in the wet than the marathon plus, more expensive though.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I don't want to struggle with punctures while out on a ride to be honest. I expect the type of tyres you get on cheaper Chinese bikes are the worse, maybe someone will correct me?
The OP is hoping to cycle canal paths. IMHO Marathon Plus are great for on-road use, but too slippy for the varied terrain you often find on canal paths. I'd have thought one of the other Schwalbe tyres - a wider, trekking oriented tyre might be better for both comfort and grip on a mix of smooth paved, rough paved, loose stone, ash, mud, grass... Whatever the style/purpose of tyre, Schwalbe often offer a choice of added puncture protection (reflected in the cost of the tyre), as some other tyre makers do too (Kenda etc).

The tyres fitted on new lower cost e-bikes tend to be CST or Kenda, and be of a style to match the primary purpose of the bike... so minimal tread for a commuter or road bike, a mix of tread for trekking, or knobbly for off-road. IMO they're passable enough to get you started riding but it's always good to practice puncture repair, because even if you upgrade to a more expensive puncture resistant tyre like Marathon Pluses (renowned for their resilience to punctures) they're never totally foolproof.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's my bad. I didn't realise Schwalbe did so many variants of tyre wearing the same "Marathon Plus" name. Those Marathon Plus MTBs are listed in Schwalbes city/tour section (i.e. not in their cross, gravel or MTB section). Would they be preferable to some of their other softer/more compliant compound offerings for towpath use?

I've got Marathon Plus on two of my e-bikes, and Marathon Greenguard on my e-folder: The Green is definitely a more comfortable/compliant/forgiving tyre with less "puncture band" (3mm instead of 5mm). It doesn't seem to want to slip as much in the wet although I don't know if that's because it has a more open tread or is a softer compound (no punctures yet).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's my bad. I didn't realise Schwalbe did so many variants of tyre wearing the same "Marathon Plus" name. Those Marathon Plus MTBs are listed in Schwalbes city/tour section (i.e. not in their cross, gravel or MTB section). Would they be preferable to some of their other softer/more compliant compound offerings for towpath use?

I've got Marathon Plus on two of my e-bikes, and Marathon Greenguard on my e-folder: The Green is definitely a more comfortable/compliant/forgiving tyre with less "puncture band" (3mm instead of 5mm). It doesn't seem to want to slip as much in the wet although I don't know if that's because it has a more open tread or is a softer compound (no punctures yet).
Any stiffer tyre will have somewhat less grip on undulating surfaces than one with a softer compound, but I'd guess that knobbly tread on the MTB version would make up for it. There's an intermediate one as well if the canal paths aren't too rough.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019

I think the higher the pressure of the inner tube or tubeless tyre the less likely it will seal so probably makes more sense for fat bikes that run tyres at low pressure than road bikes with very high pressure tyres it will of course depend on the size of the puncture too.

I sort of wonder if its just worth taking sealant in case you get a puncture and then using it then to seal after the puncture rather than to preload the tube with sealant. I realise for tubeless you have to apply it beforehand as it needs to be there to seal but for tubes I sort of wonder if you couldn't do it after the event. Also why not just use downhill inner tubes, they are thicker and more resistant to punctures and combine them with thicker more puncture proof tyres you wonder if the weight difference between sealant wouldn't be that different especially if you regularly top up sealant.

I've had no luck with sealant but I'm a very heavy rider and have to run tyres/tubes at higher pressure than normal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0183_02.JPG
DSC_0185_03.JPG

it will seal and you try get the fkn thing off and back on pita!

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
.......... "How to repair a puncture" videos I guess and be prepared.
As suggested in this post there are a number of ways to mitigate the chances of getting a flat (some better than others), but I would highly recommend that you do as you yourself suggest, and that is to get back to basics and learn how to mend a puncture the 'old fashioned' way, ie. taking the tyre off,* looking for the item that cuased the puncture, (or at least to ensure it's still not in the tyre), replace with a new tube ('cos you are carrying at least one spare tube aren't you?) and fixing the punctured tube with proper glue and patches.

Either that have a friend's phone number on speed dial and hope you can get your bike into the back of their car.

* there are tools you can carry with you to help you remove/replace tight tyres (especially those Marathon Plus).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only way i can get my tyres on the rims on my own is with cable ties there that tight plus there glued on as well with sealant but they have been bullet proof in all the years i have used them.

but there double the waight to other tyres and a pita to fit.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Cycling UK review some of the tyre seating tools in this link HERE.

And as general read on fitting tight tyres, Spa Cycles posted a YT clip HERE on getting the Marathon Plus on by hand.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its just not fitting it, it is blasting the tyre on to the rim m8 had a sg hans tyre and it would not seat on the rim as so tight so 240 psi air blast pump time and still not moving so fairy liquid time and after a few goes it started moving.

it went on the rim went fkn kaboom and spat the fairy liquid right in my m8s eye lmfao.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I tried to try slime tubes: bought two and very rapidly managed to rupture both attempting fitting within minutes, it was quite a quick loss of money in a short space of time - I think those tubes were very old and therefore extremely delicate, because I bought them from my local bike shop crook, who doesn't get much business because everyone buys products cheaper online, which is what I should have done instead of trying to support a local struggling business. Slime ended up everywhere and didn't seem too sel-reapir holes. Bin jobs. It was also concerning that Slime have a warning on their website somewhere that it damages wheel metal over time - I washed it off best I could, and have bought new wheels since. Never again! Slime begone!

Reactions: Bikes4two

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
What's the problem? Tyre flat at the bottom? The rest is fine, just turn the wheel round a bit. And beware of forks in the road.

Anyway, got marathon plus on bike but have used slime in the trailer wheels, no problems yet.

Reactions: mike killay

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
So far my tyres mostly go on and off without even the need for tyre levers, but I usually carry a couple of substantial tea spoons just in case.