Smaller battery options

Jeremy Hayward

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2018
I have a 24yr old Orange X1 full suspension MTB, that I love, but my age (61) and health (on chemo) means that if I'm going to get my fitness back, I need some help. I can fit a Bafang mid drive to the bike, but the standard Bafang battery options won't fit, as the frame shape means I only have about 25cm of straight downtube (it's an odd shape), and I'd struggle with the battery on the seatpost rack, and can't fit a rack mount in the conventional sense as it's a URT. So, I need a smaller battery - no problem with reduced capacity, as I doubt I'll be going very far - longest regular journey about ten miles to work, and I can re-charge at work. Luna Cycles in the USA advertise (but cannot actually supply) a thing called the Wolf Pup battery which looks ideal, but is there anything available, and available in the UK that would do the job?

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Hi Jeremy,
Hopefully someone comes onto help u in this matter as i cant as im new
and looking into e bikes for now ..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is this your bike?

You can fit a small frog battery below the downtube like this:

orange-x1.jpg

Jeremy Hayward

May 24, 2018
It is! That does look plausible, I'd need to check clearance with suspension compressed with me at my normal weight as I'm 9kg light at the moment (chemotherapy is the ultimate slimming drug).

I think I'm forming a plan now... just need to get my immediate health issues behind me, and then I'm good to go. Many thanks for going to the trouble of modelling it for me.

Reactions: Woosh

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

Jeremy Hayward

May 24, 2018
Now looking at the Tongseng torque sensing kit, as I think it will fit neater on the bike and it will allow me to mount the small frog battery lower and so away from any chance of touching the front wheel when the fork compresses fully (unlikely at my age - 61).