Smart or non-smart BMS?

chrisoffgrid

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2023
Hi,
I'm very happy to be posting my first thread (with 2 related queries).
I have a Carrera Crossfire1 36v e-bike, with the HESC system, which has developed a problem. When I plug the charger into the battery the charger light stays green and doesn't charge the battery. Connections seem fine. Could it be a faulty BMS?
I would be prepared to change the battery and can buy a Joycube battery from Yose Power which looks an exact replacement BUT has a non-smart BMS. I am aware (I hope correctly, that Crossfire batteries all have smart-bms). So, if I change battery, mounting plate and charger (all included in the Yose power kit) should it work?
Thanks to anybody able to help with this issue.
Chris

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,
I'm very happy to be posting my first thread (with 2 related queries).
I have a Carrera Crossfire1 36v e-bike, with the HESC system, which has developed a problem. When I plug the charger into the battery the charger light stays green and doesn't charge the battery. Connections seem fine. Could it be a faulty BMS?
I would be prepared to change the battery and can buy a Joycube battery from Yose Power which looks an exact replacement BUT has a non-smart BMS. I am aware (I hope correctly, that Crossfire batteries all have smart-bms). So, if I change battery, mounting plate and charger (all included in the Yose power kit) should it work?
Thanks to anybody able to help with this issue.
Chris
If you're going to change things, Yose is not the best system. IF I were going to do it, I'd fit a KT controller and any suitable battery. You also have the option of going up to 48v if you're going to change the battery. Some controllers are dual voltage (36v/48v), which gives you the option of changing in the future.

before anything, you should open your battery and check the cells to see why it won't charge. it could be just a fuse blown.

Smart BMS just means it uses a CPU to control everything instead of other logic devices. With a CPU, they have the option to add more functions or adjustments, though the cheaper ones don't normally give you access to that.

You have to be careful with some of the cheaper BMSs. the sellers cut and paste the descriptions and features. Sometimes they say it does balancing, when it doesn't.

chrisoffgrid

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2023
Thanks for such a swift and helpful response!
I'll certainly check for a blown fuse but I'd like to be clear (if possible) on whether or not I can use a non-smart BMS battery if I change the downtube mount.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Thanks for such a swift and helpful response!
I'll certainly check for a blown fuse but I'd like to be clear (if possible) on whether or not I can use a non-smart BMS battery if I change the downtube mount.
There's a couple of forum members here using the not-smart battery with their Carreras... here is one of a few discussions about that on this forum.

The same battery with Smart BMS is available reasonably freely throughout Europe, if those suppliers are prepared to ship one.

But basics first; check fuse(s), measure the battery voltage at the output pins. How old is it? Is it likely shagged out anyway? Has it been heavily used? Sitting around for a long period uncharged?