Soldering Iron Wattage???

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Bought an Antex 30w mains powered soldering iron a while back, to use on soldering components on micro-electronic circuit boards.
It has been perfect for this job, but when i came to soldering a power cable back on to my battery key ignition barrel, it took absolutely ages to complete the job.
This i know is down to the rather low wattage of the iron not being to heat such a large mass of solder.
The question is, what is an ideal wattage of iron to use without overdoing it?
Also, are the gas powered irons any good?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

you need a minimum 80 watt iron as the copper cable absorbs the heat like mad if not you will have what we call a dry joint

The trouble with a 30 watt is it takes such a long time that the head disperses All over . Tip Tin both sides off the joint then touch them together the add more solder as this add flux allowing the solder to flow freely

as long as you have a nice shiny molten joint it should be OK

Frank

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I agree with Frank, 30W is not suitable for bigger jobs. Also it's worth remembering that lead free solder needs a higher temperature so old irons may not work well for that reason.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you banbury frank and Mussels for your answers.
I did aquire a job lot of leaded solder before we went all European, as I find the lead free stuff terrible to work with.
If an existing joint already has lead free on it, I just use a solder sucker to remove the lot.
80 watts plus it is then, any views on the gas powered irons?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Gas soldering irons are OK if you bye a good make but expensive

try this link under £10 delivered 80 watt mains soldering iron

Frank

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've found the 30w iron practically useless for modern solder. 100w soldering gun works really well for me, and I find it easier to control. :)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I just checked, my station is 60W and I have no problem at all with it. The advantage is that I can set the right temperature.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
You can still get leaded solder form the likes of RS Components, I find the 2% silver loaded stuff the best, it wets well and melts at a low temp.