Solutions to video camera shake

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
It's made by a company called Swann, and is one of the lower-end models. I have the 2gb version, there's a 4gb version as well. Swann PenCam Discreet Camera Video Recorder : Covert Equipment : Maplin

There's also another one by the same make, nearly 10 times the price but much better quality.

2GB can do 90 minute videos (it is .avi), the lithium battery is quick to charge through USB.

The videos I have either pick up my swearing at the wind, the best one is just over 17 mins and might be too long for Youtube. I did one where I filtered through 50 vehicles in 3 minutes, and others showing high amount of traffic.
Thanks for the info. I don't upload my .avi files as it takes too long. I use a conversion program that converts to a .mp4 format. This is much smaller. e.g my latest clip is a 1.39 mb file converted from a 87.6 mb file! .. I bought an Aimersoft video tools package for about £30 but there are free programs that others may be able to recommend.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Jessops/md80 Failure

Here is my evidence to support my recent failures. This is the most i've been able to record so far with this irritating device:
YouTube - CARDVR recording JESSOPS MD80

Thats 11 mins and 54 seconds.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Thanks for the info. I don't upload my .avi files as it takes too long. I use a conversion program that converts to a .mp4 format. This is much smaller. e.g my latest clip is a 1.39 mb file converted from a 87.6 mb file! .. I bought an Aimersoft video tools package for about £30 but there are free programs that others may be able to recommend.
I was considering converting it but haven't had success in the past. I will upload one vid now so hopefully the original quality won't be affected. I just hope I don't show up in it!

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
I use the no8 keyring Video camera, the only problem I have found is corrupted files when trying to upload to the PC from the camera, easily solved by putting the mini SD card into a card reader for uploads, have not had any more problems since. Still waiting for the HD version no11 to arrive will let you now how i get on with it after it arrives.
Morphix and kichenman.
I noticed you now have over 100 posts in one thread between you, keeping this thread on page one for nearly 4 weeks, that has got to be some kind of record. :) What are you conclusions as to which mount or camera are the best that you have tried.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've done a little something in Paint of a camera I would like. It would clip onto the handlebar and be a little more discreet than the one I've drawn. There would be an adjustable clamp on the back to keep the cam in place.

Does something like this exist?

Attachments

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
...What are you conclusions as to which mount or camera are the best that you have tried.
I need to pm rsscott and see if he will let has have a sub-forum like the Electric Bike Reviews with a template etc ... that way people can add their own reviews and scores .. and it can grow as new products come on the market ..
to date my highest scoring camera is the CAR DVR.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've done a little something in Paint of a camera I would like. It would clip onto the handlebar and be a little more discreet than the one I've drawn. There would be an adjustable clamp on the back to keep the cam in place.

Does something like this exist?
Yes. I think Morphix has something that he can show you mounted on the handlebar like you have drawn.

If you've got front suspension then a handlebar mount will be fine. If not, then you can expect some camera shake. To minimise this you will need to look at small light weight devices like the keyring style cameras mentioned earlier in the thread.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Panoramic Veiw/Multiple Cams

Has anyone tried a video camera that has a panoramic view? I went for a cycle yesterday just with the CAR DVR mounted on handlebar. There was an incident with a car but as the car came across me from the right and emergency stopped the car is not in view.
I have previously thought that the solution to this problem is multiple cameras. In this case a handlebar and a helmet or goggle mount would have done the trick. My current thinking is that I need 2 panoramic cams. 1 front and 1 rear.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Second time I've heard my helmet looks like a war helmet! Yeah that was the spy pen in the pocket. :)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I think my current bar-mounted version for the MD80 is as far as you can go without spending loads of dosh on fancy equipment. Example:

YouTube - parks MD80 barmount-desktop.m4v

It's a 'pocket' made of foam and silicone, into which the MD80 is thrust, and it works fairly well, partly due to the soft padding, partly due to the Wisper's front suspension.

Body-mounted variations all have the same problem - move your body and the picture moves too. Bar-mounted versions like my current one also have a problem, which is the opposite, of course! If your bike ain't pointing in the 'right' direction, you don't get a photo of what you might be looking at.

I'm thinking of going down the route Lemmy has put forward in a different thread, that of a body tripod (gorillapod) with a 'proper' camera mounted onto it. The result he posted using such a device was quite impressive. (Doesn't solve the problem of what you're pointing at, of course; that still requires an answer).

A.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I think my current bar-mounted version for the MD80 is as far as you can go without spending loads of dosh on fancy equipment. Example:

YouTube - parks MD80 barmount-desktop.m4v

It's a 'pocket' made of foam and silicone, into which the MD80 is thrust, and it works fairly well, partly due to the soft padding, partly due to the Wisper's front suspension.

Body-mounted variations all have the same problem - move your body and the picture moves too. Bar-mounted versions like my current one also have a problem, which is the opposite, of course! If your bike ain't pointing in the 'right' direction, you don't get a photo of what you might be looking at.

I'm thinking of going down the route Lemmy has put forward in a different thread, that of a body tripod (gorillapod) with a 'proper' camera mounted onto it. The result he posted using such a device was quite impressive. (Doesn't solve the problem of what you're pointing at, of course; that still requires an answer).

A.
Good to see more than a few mins of footage from a MD80 which is about all I have managed to achieve!
You can reduce the camera shake by mounting it on goggles. It clips nicely in the middle and you'll find it will pick up your whistling really well.
Good luck with the gorillapod! ..

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
(Doesn't solve the problem of what you're pointing at, of course; that still requires an answer).

A.
I may have an answer.
Being a bit of a gadget geek,I have always wonted a HUD (head up display) with night vision, have been experimented with using night vision over the last couple of years, never been able to make anything powerful and small enough so have ordered one of these,
150° Rotating LENS 720P HD Vehicle Car DVR Night Vision on eBay (end time 15-May-11 14:40:04 BST)
Attached to a helmet I am hoping to be able to control what is being seen maybe be able to use it as a rear view mirror or possibly NV between the villages were there is no lighting other than my bike lights, if it dosen`t work out it will be my Daughters next birthday present for her car.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I may have an answer.
Being a bit of a gadget geek,I have always wonted a HUD (head up display) with night vision, have been experimented with using night vision over the last couple of years, never been able to make anything powerful and small enough so have ordered one of these,
150° Rotating LENS 720P HD Vehicle Car DVR Night Vision on eBay (end time 15-May-11 14:40:04 BST)
Attached to a helmet I am hoping to be able to control what is being seen maybe be able to use it as a rear view mirror or possibly NV between the villages were there is no lighting other than my bike lights, if it dosen`t work out it will be my Daughters next birthday present for her car.
Great find! ...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Andy: look forward to your report on this one, it does look good.

A

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
About time we had some excitement in your videos. I hope there is swearing. :)
The keyring cam is also on my birthday list.
Not sure about the change of tyres. You want the best tyres suitable for your bike and route. And you know the solution to camera shake ... mount it on your head somewhere .. doesn't have to be a helmet (I know you dont like them) .. goggles, a headband, a head torch - with torch removed, etc .... some of these devices are so small you should be able to find something that suits you ..
If you want a handlebar mount that make sure your next ebike has front suspension - I assume you are working on a new ebike design?
Ah, sadly that video wasn't any good as my camera was too low again on the jacket..all I got was the road! I really must get a permanent pocket made on my hi vis.

Been absent from the forum for a bit lately as you probably noticed.. just really busy with work, studying and my loft conversion (which is coming along nicely). Hope you're enjoying the nice weather Alan and filming some good rides on your bike? I've started using my bike to do postal deliveries to the sorting office every evening..beats standing in queues at post office!

Hope to get back into the reviewing and camera stuff soon...still haven't got round to ordering a key-ring cam, it's on my todo list!

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Ah, sadly that video wasn't any good as my camera was too low again on the jacket..all I got was the road! I really must get a permanent pocket made on my hi vis.

Been absent from the forum for a bit lately as you probably noticed.. just really busy with work, studying and my loft conversion (which is coming along nicely). Hope you're enjoying the nice weather Alan and filming some good rides on your bike? I've started using my bike to do postal deliveries to the sorting office every evening..beats standing in queues at post office!

Hope to get back into the reviewing and camera stuff soon...still haven't got round to ordering a key-ring cam, it's on my todo list!
Yes. Was wondering. Thought maybe you were on holiday! .. I'm still experimenting but given up on the MD80 as my experience with that device has been very frustrating. Postal deliveres to the sorting office? Is that like an extra part time job? .... I was thinking of starting a new thread "jobs for ebikers" or similar. I could do with some extra cash to fund my conversion projects! ..

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Yes. Was wondering. Thought maybe you were on holiday! .. I'm still experimenting but given up on the MD80 as my experience with that device has been very frustrating. Postal deliveres to the sorting office? Is that like an extra part time job? .... I was thinking of starting a new thread "jobs for ebikers" or similar. I could do with some extra cash to fund my conversion projects! ..
I agree that MD80 is a bit disappointing. Great for static recording though and maybe covert stuff. I had a look on eBay the other day and it's amazing now what you can get for under £20 so many different cameras, all sorts of stuff..even some Flip style ones.

I have a business I run from home selling health products and I also dabble in antiques, so I'm at the post office every day with packages to send.. going to the sorting office enables me to take advantage of the later posting deadline and of course it's an excuse to use the bike more =) It's very convenient, can just zip over the other side of town in no time at all and then take a leisurely ride back. The fresh air does me good.