Someone to supply and fit electric conversion to 2 folding 20 inch wheel Dahons, within 80 miles of Dorchester?

The Nomad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2019
We have a pair of Dahon "Vitesse" 20 inch wheel folding bikes, which we definitely want to have converted to electric assistance power.

Doesn't need to be a Rolls Royce conversion, but does need to be powerful (36 volt 250nm?) and does need to have substantial battery range, so perhaps 12 amp or above.

I'm looking for a company that can supply and fit if I bring the bikes over to them, within about 80 miles of Dorchester in Dorset if possible.

We're looking to have the work done in late October/early November if possible.

Does anyone know of a company in the south west who would do this for us please, and do you have any contact details so I can contact them for quotes.

Many thanks,

Bruce.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
Yes, that is the other option we are considering, particularly given the rate of reduction in new ebike prices year on year, and advances in technology.

It's just that we were thinking that if we could get brand new conversions including decent range batteries for (say) around 500 quid each bike, that would be a better route for us, as we know the Dahons very well and love them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's just that we were thinking that if we could get brand new conversions including decent range batteries for (say) around 500 quid each bike, that would be a better route for us, as we know the Dahons very well and love them.
conversions are usually cheaper than buying new bikes but for folding bikes, there is an extra challenge, where would you place the battery so that it does not affect the fold.
This is where placing the battery in a front bag is a popular solution.
Some Dahons have their own narrow proprietary fork, reducing the choice of kits.
If your fork has 100mm dropout, then it's easy to find a kit and you still save with conversion.
if not, then I agree with vfr400.
If you can wait until XMAS, I'll will have this new folding bike for not much more than the cost of a conversion:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
i can't find any reference to this bike "Dahon Elysse 20 inch". I also tried Elysee, which would be the correct spelling, nut still couldn't find anything. Are you sure that it's a real Dahon or have you got the name wrong? Can you show a photo?

Reactions: The Nomad

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
Oops, sorry, my mistake!
Have just been over to the car where they are sitting in the boot folded up. They are both Dahon VITESSE model 20minch wheel folders.20190921_160414.jpg20190921_160434.jpg

Last edited:

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
As they both have the standard Dahon rear rack, I was thinking that maybe some conversion suppliers might offer a horizontal "slab battery" style battery, that would sit on top of the existing rack, possibly in a sort of cage thus providing another rack above its housing.
Then a simple front wheel cadence hub drive, and a very basic small, maybe two or three stage power controller/display.

Does this sort of thing exist?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need to check the fork's dropout width first.
the rest is OK.
Judging by the picture, you may have the narrow fork, 74mm or 83mm. I that is the case, the choice of motor is restricted a fair bit, hence the cost goes up.

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
you need to check the fork's dropout width first.
the rest is OK.
Judging by the picture, you may have the narrow fork, 74mm or 83mm. I that is the case, the choice of motor is restricted a fair bit, hence the cost goes up.
I have just gone and measured... yes, they are the narrow forks, dropout width is the 74mm that you mentioned.

Could you recommend any specific options, based on slab battery in case bolted on top of existing rear rack?
Is there a really simple power controller..perhaps just a 3 or 4 position switch to select Off, assistance level 1, then 2 then maybe 3?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
Many thanks, so it is possible, which is great news.
But as mentioned in my original post, I have no expertise in this area.
I have no idea what I would need to order, or how to then assemble with the wheel, battery, controller etc..

That's why what I'm trying to locate is a company or skilled technician with expertise of choosing, sourcing and fitting the components of such a system on customers bikes.

If I could find such a company or person I'd be happy to pay to order the necessary components as recommended by them, then bring the bikes to them for assembly in due course, if that's the way these conversion projects work.

We are near to Dorchester, but I guess I could travel certainly a couple of hours from there to such a companies premises...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can fit the kit for you if you bring your bikes to Southend, but I don't have the motor.

The Nomad

Jun 22, 2019
Many thanks, that's a great offer and I really appreciate it, but I think that's really too far away from us.
Google maps reckons 3.5 hours ish each way just for the driving, getting on for a 400 mile round trip.

But just as a matter of interest, have you got any feel for a rough all-in price to supply and fit such a motor and maybe a 12 amp or larger capacity rear rack mounted battery and as simple a controller as possible, on both matched bikes?
By all means email me if that would be more appropriate:
brucethenomad@gmail.com

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have two possible solutions:
1. fit a Bafang BBS01B crank drive kit and a rack battery
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-195-bbs01b-15ahrack/bbs01b-cd-kit-with-15ah-36v-rack-battery
Range: about 45-50 miles
Cost: £743 + £90 fitting charge

2. fit a front hub kit with the same battery but with your own motor.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-192-xf07rackkit-15ah/xf07-front-hub-kit-with-15ah-rack-battery
Cost: all the parts except the motor including 20" double walled rim, wheel lacing £675.

By the time you pay for the motor (about £175 delivered), solution 1 would be cheaper and more quickly done.
As I said earlier, if you have a narrow fork, the choice of hub motor is very limited and expensive compared to converting a normal full size bike.
One more thing you need to keep in mind is the weight of the converted bike. The kit will add about 7-8 kgs to the bike.

Reactions: The Nomad

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
1. The Bafang BBS01 probably won't fit because there is insufficient clearance around the BB due to the low seat tube.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I succesfully converted two folders for my neighbour. I used rear hub and rack battery (as OP suggested). Reason for rear hub was to keep the amount of cables going round the frame fold to a minimum. In this case there were no power cables only signal cables.
Full details, including kit and sources are here:
I'd gladly do it for you but I'm in West Wales - nearly as far as you can get.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is a Mariner but I can't see any difference with the Vitesse frame on the Dahon site. I am researching a new home for my GSM and it will probably go in a Tern and the frames on those are almost a carbon copy of the Dahon ones.

Back before they started using Bosch motors Dahon had a Bafang powered version of the Vitesse IIRC so a BBS01 does fit. Just. It is the round tube coming down from the hinge which makes it a tight fit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It is a Mariner but I can't see any difference with the Vitesse frame on the Dahon site. I am researching a new home for my GSM and it will probably go in a Tern and the frames on those are almost a carbon copy of the Dahon ones.

Back before they started using Bosch motors Dahon had a Bafang powered version of the Vitesse IIRC so a BBS01 does fit. Just. It is the round tube coming down from the hinge which makes it a tight fit.
You're right. I found this one, but you still have to solve the gearing. I think the Dahon has a 52T chainwheel.