South Devon E-Cyclist

devon_skylark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2012
South Devon
Hi, All

I am new to pedelecs having bought a BH E-Motion City Deluxe on ebay. It is two years old, done 1850 miles but the battery still manages 30 miles plus of Devon hills so I'm really pleased with it. I'm still struggling to get used to a bike with a cross bar having only ridden ladies bikes before. I plan to try it to Salcombe on Saturday - 30 mile round trip with lots of steep hills.

I have been cycling a push bike for years but thought I might try commuting to work, a round trip of just under 40 miles but I expect I'll have to pedal in low most of the time to get the range.

I've found this forum very useful in deciding what type of electric bike I'd like, and decided that a crank driven bike was the only choice for where I live.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Enjoy, i am sure you will have lots of fun with it,especially up hill ! You can upgrade your battery to an 18a/25a if you want to go further afield when you current one shows signs of wear.
All we need now is that bit of yellow that occasionally appears in the sky.....

Badger

Just Joined
May 5, 2012
Kingsbridge
Hi, I'm also in South Devon (near Kingsbridge). Yesterday I ordered my first ebike (Kalkhoff Proconnect BS10) - now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!!!

I'm not worried about it's limited range but really like the extra power to get me up these Devon hills, and I rather like the idea of overtaking KCC students on West Alvington Hill instead of getting off and walking (as I have to with my old push bike).

devon_skylark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 9, 2012
South Devon
Hi, Badger

I don't think you'll be too worried about limited range. This morning my husband cycled my bike from Modbury to Salcombe and it only dipped one LED on the battery. He said he had to stop for a breather on Aveton Giffird hill but that's only to be expected. I'm going out to try it again this afternoon in an attempt to flatten the battery. I'm really pleased with the bike. Let us know how you get on with yours.

Badger

Just Joined
May 5, 2012
Kingsbridge
I've had the Kalkhoff Pro Connect BS10 for 3 months now. It's my first electric bike and I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was a kid!

The BS10 is really powerful and every ride has been totally exhilarating. My journeys tend to be to nearby towns and back along mainly single track lanes so I don't have to worry about flattening the battery and run it on level 12 all the time.

According to the computer, on the lowest assist level it will take me 70 kilometres, but I doubt that I'll ever put that to the test.

Meanwhile I'm merrily hurtling along with Chris Hoy's legs and loving every minute of it!

I still use the car in bad weather or when I have a large load to carry (bought a pair of cool Ortlieb Anniversary Panniers which manage reasonable shopping / library trips).

I'm as happy as a dog full of sixpenses and can't recommend the bike highly enough!

:cool: