Sparking when withdrawing the battery

Laffin ebike

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2022
Hi,

Tonight I took the battery out of my Engwe folding e-bike for the first time, it produced a load of sparks as I cleared the frame insert .

Is this normal, or is it something to be concerned about.

48 volt 16ahr battery, bike only covered about 60 miles, seems to be aluminium batter case in an aluminium frame housing.
There looks as though there might have been minimum water ingress from the keyhole/lock area under the frame.

Any advice welcome.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no with these things and any water ingress can mean a short in the pack so leave it outside as it could explode if it makes a dead short in the pack and the bms cant save it.

dry it out the best you can and check the voltage with a multimeter and if it still has voltage try it on the charger and dont take ur eyes of it and any smoke abort and throw it out the window.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Shorting shouldn't occur removing such battery unless the discharge contacts of the ali holder aren't inuslated very well against the holder.
If it is down to moisture then ideally the ali holder should have drainage holes in the base.
Sparks can be expected when fitting the battery (if no switch is used) as the in rush capacitor/s will be drained of voltage and the sparks occur as they charge up.

Reactions: Bikes4two

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...it produced a load of sparks as I cleared the frame insert
Following on from what Neal said above, it's a possibility that you bridged the prongs protruding from the other half of the folding frame when withdrawing the metal cased battery.

That would effectively be shorting out the controller's capacitor. Although unlikely to cause any damage, it would likely give an audible crack and nice spark.

Laffin ebike

Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2022
Following on from what Neal said above, it's a possibility that you bridged the prongs protruding from the other half of the folding frame when withdrawing the metal cased battery.

That would effectively be shorting out the controller's capacitor. Although unlikely to cause any damage, it would likely give an audible crack and nice spark.
Aye, that's maybe what happened.
I only had the joint in the frame opened up around 90* degrees