Speed controller query

Garry Poulton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2018
West Midlands England
I have been offered a second hand conversion kit which is complete but has a faulty motor. My question is, the faulty motor has hall sensors, I have a wheel but the motor doesn't have hall sensors can I use that motor?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Probably not. there are three types of controllers. Sensorless controllers, work with just the three motor wires, whether the motor has hall sensors or not. Sensored controllers only work if the motor has hall sensors and they're connected. Dual mode ones can detect the hall sensors and use them if present or ignore them if they're missing or faulty.

Are you sure that the motor is faulty? When they don't work properly, the cause is more likely from outside of the motor.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'm told that the gears in the motor are shot, it was worth asking about the compatibility just in case. Thanks for your quick reply.
Lots of people say that when there's nothing wrong with them. Some electrical faults make the motor judder and jam just like the gears are broken. Even if they are shot, you can buy replacements for the common motors very cheaply from Aliexpress, and they're easy to change.