Speedict Support

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Ahh I see. I guess some people may buy cheap dedicated android phones second hand off eBay or perhaps one of the cheap Chinese tablets to mount on bike.. I'm thinking about doing that myself rather than using my beloved HTC Desire phone..I've not had any luck finding a secure mounting solution and neither am I very confident about using a DIY setup incase it falls off ;-)

how about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiV3dVYKCT8

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Ahh I see. I guess some people may buy cheap dedicated android phones second hand off eBay or perhaps one of the cheap Chinese tablets to mount on bike.. I'm thinking about doing that myself rather than using my beloved HTC Desire phone..I've not had any luck finding a secure mounting solution and neither am I very confident about using a DIY setup incase it falls off ;-)
but don't buy ZTE from china, i bought one and returned at the end because they took the google maps out and their custom ROM has bluetooth issues ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Is anyone having trouble getting their speedict mercury working proper, or is it just me?

When setting the throttle highest point, do you have the throttle full open or shut?

I've set it on throttle mode, set low & high throttle points (with throttle shut, rpm ramps up to 15:6 & with throttle open no rpm shows, but speed ramps up) set it up to mid-range on most settings & when I try it there's nothing at port 4.

If I had hair to spare, I'd be pulling it out.

Apart from this, it drops the bluetooth connection at random points in the setup process & pas doesn't work, even when it shows as working on port status.

Just as well I've kept the box, methinks .

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Is anyone having trouble getting their speedict mercury working proper, or is it just me?

When setting the throttle highest point, do you have the throttle full open or shut?

I've set it on throttle mode, set low & high throttle points (with throttle shut, rpm ramps up to 15:6 & with throttle open no rpm shows, but speed ramps up) set it up to mid-range on most settings & when I try it there's nothing at port 4.

If I had hair to spare, I'd be pulling it out.

Apart from this, it drops the bluetooth connection at random points in the setup process & pas doesn't work, even when it shows as working on port status.

Just as well I've kept the box, methinks .

please disconnect all wires first, just connect the battery to mercury, without speed sensor, pas, throttle and the most important is do not connect speed controller.
then go to function mode, change to multi-sense, connect bluetooth and live view your battery voltage, see if your bluetooth will be disconnected randomly, as per our experience, incorrect throttle wire or signal will cause bluetooth disconnect because short-circuit on mercury's mcu.

D

Deleted member 4366

Danny, I have my new Speedict now, Thanks. I have a question about running multiple versions because I still have two of the old Speedict in different bikes, but I only have one Android device,

With the old version I had a lot of problems when I changed from one bike to the other because the bluetooth saw the same name but a different device, so I had to do some un-pairing and disconnecting before the Speedict would communicate with the Android device.

Now, I have three Speedicts and a new version of the Android client. Does the old Speedict work with the new Android Client and do you know if I can use both versions with the same Android phone, or would it be better to get a new Android device for the Mercury and keep my old phone for the o;d version?

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Danny, I have my new Speedict now, Thanks. I have a question about running multiple versions because I still have two of the old Speedict in different bikes, but I only have one Android device,

With the old version I had a lot of problems when I changed from one bike to the other because the bluetooth saw the same name but a different device, so I had to do some un-pairing and disconnecting before the Speedict would communicate with the Android device.

Now, I have three Speedicts and a new version of the Android client. Does the old Speedict work with the new Android Client and do you know if I can use both versions with the same Android phone, or would it be better to get a new Android device for the Mercury and keep my old phone for the o;d version?
The reason why you need to unpair for both speedict because the Bluetooth hardware share same id not the device name, so even you gave different name to both speedict it still doesn't help also android only likely to remember bluetooth' id. At this moment we can't help however sine we have received customer concern we will take a look of the Bluetooth hardware again see if we can override or change the id manually, I hope more customers experience this kind of problem because they need to have more than one speedict :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
please disconnect all wires first, just connect the battery to mercury, without speed sensor, pas, throttle and the most important is do not connect speed controller.
then go to function mode, change to multi-sense, connect bluetooth and live view your battery voltage, see if your bluetooth will be disconnected randomly, as per our experience, incorrect throttle wire or signal will cause bluetooth disconnect because short-circuit on mercury's mcu.
Sorry for the delay - Done that & connects up fine: Only drops connection if I move the android tablet >3 metres away.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I now have the same problem as Jackhandy when operating in throttle mode: Zero on the throttle output. The port status shows throttle-in changing in the range 117 to 498, but the output stays on zero with or without the throttle-out cable connected. When I set the high and low throttle points, the Mercury was able to give throttle output so that I could set the limits, so i don't believe that there's any problem with cables or the controller. All the settings were left at default value.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Yes - those numbers are pretty much what I was getting - so it's not just me :)

Thanks Steve; at least I'm not the only one going south!

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Sorry for the delay - Done that & connects up fine: Only drops connection if I move the android tablet >3 metres away.
can you help to get another android phone not tablet and do the range test again ?
bluetooth range issue can be caused by :

1. hardware of course
2. or your android tablet range, because both tablet and speedict need handshaking, mean if tablet is lower its power (tablet company lower its power because of power consumption), it will shorten its range, i have one motorola slv7 in open space with speedict can go up to 80m :)

each speedict before shipment we did :

1. voltage and current calibrate
2. road legal 2 mode
3. bluetooth range test, perhaps we need to increase it to 5m ...

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
I now have the same problem as Jackhandy when operating in throttle mode: Zero on the throttle output. The port status shows throttle-in changing in the range 117 to 498, but the output stays on zero with or without the throttle-out cable connected. When I set the high and low throttle points, the Mercury was able to give throttle output so that I could set the limits, so i don't believe that there's any problem with cables or the controller. All the settings were left at default value.
good news is port 2 and port 4 hardware are ok because we have test each speedict with road legal 2 mode before ship.

may be throttle mode software or setting problem, before change to other function mode, can you check with the governor setting ? if governor setting is on, please turn it off and go back to port status, you can disconnect port 4 wires because port status can shown the port 4 value with or without wire connect to ....

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
sorry by checking your port status, the governor was turn off, so port 4 wasn't caused by cutoff, let me check the log again, if you have time please send me the complete log again and i can pass it to our engineer tomorrow

D

Deleted member 4366

I have the same problem. The throttle works OK in multi-sensor mode and legal mode 2, but won't give any output in Throttle Mode. Port status shows zero when looking at the port status after selecting Throttle Mode, but shows values in Legal Mode 2.

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
I have the same problem. The throttle works OK in multi-sensor mode and legal mode 2, but won't give any output in Throttle Mode. Port status shows zero when looking at the port status after selecting Throttle Mode, but shows values in Legal Mode 2.
that's great, then we go focus on throttle tomorrow, will pass this information to our engineers !

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
can you help to get another android phone not tablet and do the range test again ?
bluetooth range issue can be caused by :

1. hardware of course
2. or your android tablet range, because both tablet and speedict need handshaking, mean if tablet is lower its power (tablet company lower its power because of power consumption), it will shorten its range, i have one motorola slv7 in open space with speedict can go up to 80m :)

each speedict before shipment we did :

1. voltage and current calibrate
2. road legal 2 mode
3. bluetooth range test, perhaps we need to increase it to 5m ...
Checked-out the bluetooth range with my galaxy note & there is a definite improvement over the tablet, although only reliable up to about 4 metres (through a doubl-glazed window): The weather's too damn wet to check in open air :p

I don't see this as a problem, as I hope to be a lot closer to the bike than this when I'm using it!

speedict

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Hong Kong
www.speedict.com
Checked-out the bluetooth range with my galaxy note & there is a definite improvement over the tablet, although only reliable up to about 4 metres (through a doubl-glazed window): The weather's too damn wet to check in open air :p

I don't see this as a problem, as I hope to be a lot closer to the bike than this when I'm using it!
we are working on the android compatible list since we have received a case last week of samsung s3 with custom rom 4.0.4, some custom rom on the market has wifi and bluetooth stack issues ...
can i have your tablet model ? rom version ?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
throttle problems on mercury

Steve & d8veh...

Danny suggested I try Road Legal 2 again, with throttle override disabled & no governor mode & it's now working pretty much as I would expect.

I still have plenty of tinkering to do but, with pedals held still, throttle only ramps up to about 6kph & with pedals allowed to rotate, ramps all the way to full speed provided the cadence reaches 70, which is what I set it to for 100% power.

When you set the throttle override, obviously you leave the throttle shut for setting the low point, but do you go to full throttle to set the high point, or leave it shut?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
we are working on the android compatible list since we have received a case last week of samsung s3 with custom rom 4.0.4, some custom rom on the market has wifi and bluetooth stack issues ...
can i have your tablet model ? rom version ?
The tablet is HTC FLYER P512
Android v: 3.2.1 overlaid with HTC Sense 1.1
Bluetooth 3.0

The phone is: Sansung Galaxy Note
Android 4.0.4