Speeding cyclist who crashed into pensioner, 81, while racing at 29mph in a 20mph zone avoids prosecution after she dies - because speed limits don't

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They found his speed by analysing the record in his GPS device. Cyclists are exempt because they have no way of knowing their speed. Can somebody explain how those two statements could be true in this case?

Vice president of Credit Suisse says it all! What happened to the charge of wanton and furious cycling, which is what you or I would have been charged with?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is national Road Traffic Act speed limits for Motor Vehicles of course, and bicycles including EAPCs are not motor vehicles.

Lawfully imposed Local Authority speed limits apply to all, including cyclists. As do owners speed limits on their private lands.

D

Deleted member 16246

Riders like this are a menace to all of us, and play right into the meme of making cyclists carry number plates and insurance and all the other paraphernalia. We've all seen them.

One came barrelling along on the wrong side of a shared path a few years back and almost crashed head on, into me when I was riding sensibly on the left hand side. When I angrily tackled his crazy, wrong side of the road, head on riding with him, he answered, 'It isn't a road'. Stupid fecker... He should have been jailed for his stupidity alone, let alone daring to disrespect me.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cyclists are exempt because they have no way of knowing their speed.
No, they are exempt because they aren't subject to Motor Vehicle law.

Vice president of Credit Suisse says it all! What happened to the charge of wanton and furious cycling, which is what you or I would have been charged with?
Because speed which is not of itself illegal is not necessarily wanton or dangerous. Unlike that of Charlie Alliston's case, who didn't have the two legally required brakes and wrongly thought shouting a warning of approach absolved him of responsibility, both errors making his 18mph wanton and furious.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
He should have been jailed for his stupidity alone, let alone daring to disrespect me.
They're already overfull: those criterion would need hundreds of new gaols.

I do agree with your main point.

D

Deleted member 16246

They're already overfull: those criterion would need hundreds of new gaols.

I do agree with your main point.
I understand what you say, but the fact that jails are full, simply means a responsible government should build more. The whiners demand that we should let out more riff raff to cause trouble. That is ENTIRELY the wrong approach.

I actually have a solution. The Pennines near where I live has a lot of very exposed, wet, cold, high ground. We could easily build caged encampments on the high tops. It would cost very little to build single caged cells up here made of corrugated iron with a solid corrugated iron roof and chain link sides.

My solution would be to put these malefactors who harm people, into such 6ft x 6ft chain link pens, and leave them there with a toilet bucket and one meal a day for the wind and rain to sort out. Crime figures would collapse.

As it is, we put people into open landings where the most violent can prey on the rest, which is what they like to do anyway. Even the jailers are terrified, and pander to the worst of humanity, with soft treatment and drugs, simply to ensure they can go home at night without having an ear gnawed off by a psychopathic savage.

In my solution, they could never harm anyone, because they would not come out of their cage until the sentence was served. The money saved would be massive and all who deserved caging, would get what they deserved. We have hundreds of thousands of acres of bogs and heather which provides poor sustenance even for a sheep. In fact one tried to commit suicide this morning when I was riding my motorbike past it. It saw the chance to end its life of wet misery and ran right in front of me, but I have seen them before and was ready for it.

I am going out on the Royal Enfield in a few minutes, and I expect it will happen again. Instead of keeping sheep in such cruel conditions on this kind of land, how much better to turn it into a giant penitentiary for those who really deserve it. I am sure that the local farmers would be happy to manage this kind of 'crop' if fairly remunerated.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand what you say, but the fact that jails are full, simply means a responsible government should build more. The whiners demand that we should let out more riff raff to cause trouble. That is ENTIRELY the wrong approach.

I actually have a solution. The Pennines near where I live has a lot of very exposed, wet, cold, high ground. We could easily build caged encampments on the high tops. It would cost very little to build single caged cells up here made of corrugated iron with a solid corrugated iron roof and chain link sides.

My solution would be to put these malefactors who harm people, into such 6ft x 6ft chain link pens, and leave them there with a toilet bucket and one meal a day for the wind and rain to sort out. Crime figures would collapse.

As it is, we put people into open landings where the most violent can prey on the rest, which is what they like to do anyway. Even the jailers are terrified, and pander to the worst of humanity, with soft treatment and drugs, simply to ensure they can go home at night without having an ear gnawed off by a psychopathic savage.

In my solution, they could never harm anyone, because they would not come out of their cage until the sentence was served. The money saved would be massive and all who deserved caging, would get what they deserved. We have hundreds of thousands of acres of bogs and heather which provides poor sustenance even for a sheep. In fact one tried to commit suicide this morning when I was riding my motorbike past it. It saw the chance to end its life of wet misery and ran right in front of me, but I have seen them before and was ready for it.

I am going out on the Royal Enfield in a few minutes, and I expect it will happen again. Instead of keeping sheep in such cruel conditions on this kind of land, how much better to turn it into a giant penitentiary for those who really deserve it. I am sure that the local farmers would be happy to manage this kind of 'crop' if fairly remunerated.

View attachment 57636
But you would soon be one of those serving time in such conditions, since you would be one of these malefactors who harm people with such treatment, breaching so many of the laws which protect us.

And that is the primary reason for having law, to protect. Punishment to enforce the protection is secondary.

D

Deleted member 16246

But you would soon be one of those serving time in such conditions, since you would be one of these malefactors who harm people with such treatment, breaching so many of the laws which protect us.

And that is the primary reason for having law, to protect. Punishment to enforce the protection is secondary.
What?

I have never even had a speeding fine since 1971.

How very dare you?

You must be mad.

Oh - do you mean that keeping the nonces and murderers in cages would be harming them? So be it.

When you say 'laws which protect us', how does it protect us to have prisons like we do now. If I were in charge we would scrap such niceties for people of that sort. And for people who disrespect me of course.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh - do you mean that keeping the nonces and murderers in cages would be harming them? So be it.

When you say 'laws which protect us', how does it protect us to have prisons like we do now. If I were in charge we would scrap such niceties for people of that sort. And for people who disrespect me of course.
Dangerous cyclists and indeed most prisoners aren't usually nonces or murderers though.

No, the universal problem of mankind is that we have set up a civilisation so imperfect that it creates many of the very problems you speak of, making life impossible for ever increasing numbers of people who simply cannot cope. Their efforts to do so result in criminality or mental illness.

You are one of the lucky ones who can easily cope, the rest have to rely on the empathy of those who do cope to find an acceptable solution. The one you suggest is certainly not that or even a solution at all, since it would only make matters far worse.

Reactions: Stanebike and Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
One came barrelling along on the wrong side of a shared path a few years back and almost crashed head on, into me when I was riding sensibly on the left hand side. When I angrily tackled his crazy, wrong side of the road, head on riding with him, he answered, 'It isn't a road'. Stupid fecker... He should have been jailed for his stupidity alone, let alone daring to disrespect me.
Next time just go on the right side for a moment. That is what I do. Much easier than building a new prison.

D

Deleted member 16246

Dangerous cyclists and indeed most prisoners aren't usually nonces or murderers though.

No, the universal problem of mankind is that we have set up a civilisation so imperfect that it creates many of the very problems you speak of, making life impossible for ever increasing numbers of people who simply cannot cope. Their efforts to do so result in criminality or mental illness.

You are one of the lucky ones who can easily cope, the rest have to rely on the empathy of those who do cope to find an acceptable solution. The one you suggest is certainly not that or even a solution at all, since it would only make matters far worse.
Oh dear.....

D

Deleted member 16246

Next time just go on the right side for a moment. That is what I do. Much easier than building a new prison.
But that way lies chaos.

This is the very reason that we established a rule of the road in the first place - to avoid the situation where no one knew what to do and accidents resulted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh dear.....
I'd predicted such a reaction. :D

As I posted previously you are sadly on course to go to your grave a very unhappy dissatisfied man. Meanwhile perhaps you could stand in for Benjamin Netanyahu to give him a break. Or much better take a course in criminology which will help you understand where you are going wrong.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
But that way lies chaos.
On contrary. Move to the right and all will be good.
Stay on the left and head on to collision and there will be chaos all over the place. Two idiots wining on the ground, bent wheels, bolts and other pieces.

This is the very reason that we established a rule of ...
...common sense.

D

Deleted member 16246

I'd predicted such a reaction. :D

As I posted previously you are sadly on course to go to your grave a very unhappy dissatisfied man. Meanwhile perhaps you could stand in for Benjamin Netanyahu to give him a break. Or much better take a course in criminology which will help you understand where you are going wrong.
YOU sir know nothing about me other than the persona that I present here. You just do not have a clue. You make the MOST ridiculous assumptions, not only in the earlier debacle about'racism' but also right now with your utterly ridiculous characterisation

Let me tell you, I am a very happy man.

I live in a beautiful place, and have the choice about which property I live in: One in the city and one in Northumberland. I have a lovely river running at the bottom of my garden - with trout in it, which if I so chose I can attempt to catch, though I only do so as an introduction to fishing with my eldest grandson.

My three sons are grown up, and successful, healthy people.

I have a happy personal life with a lovely lady and more than enough money to live a comfortable life.

When I wish to, I can work on a friend's farm. Today, the weather is pleasant and I have been riding two of my motorbikes.

How about you?

Don't be so stupid as to needlessly introduce personal insult to the forum. You have done it twice, causing annoyance.

I fear for your sanity.

EDIT:

In relation to the snide remark that I could take a spell for Netanyahu (based on your fevered imagination, because I have never mentioned him EVER, and I don't think I ever mentioned the Middle Eastern situation here) let me disabuse you.

I think that Netanyahu is a criminal. He was under indictment before the current crisis. I have NEVER approved of him ever, because his entrenched and destructive policies, have for years destroyed any chance of an accomodation between different people's there.

As for his very good friends Itamar Ben-Gvir, and Bezalel Smotrich who are the real power brokers in his government, they are absolute lunatics, encouraging, promoting and enabling the illegal seizure and settlement of lands in the West Bank which are specifically, according to international law, NOT part of Israel and not available for settlement by Israeli people.

I detest Netanyahu, as do a significant proportion of the Israeli population.

How you could even begin to attempt to link me to this fellow I do not know. Neither do I understand why you would even bring it up. Like the earlier disgraceful slur that a disapproval of Khan the Mayor, was motivated by racism rather than disliking his policies I do not know.

These personal attacks are an absolute disgrace. You ought to be ashamed.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20240507_193511[1].jpg

still not managed to kill anyone tho :rolleyes:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Move to the right and all will be good.
Stay on the left and head on to collision and there will be chaos all over the place. Two idiots wining on the ground, ...
I thought you'd diverted to politics.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Az.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
YOU sir know nothing about me other than the persona that I present here. You just do not have a clue. You make the MOST ridiculous assumptions, not only in the earlier debacle about'racism' but also right now with your utterly ridiculous characterisation

Let me tell you, I am a very happy man.

I live in a beautiful place, and have the choice about which property I live in: One in the city and one in Northumberland. I have a lovely river running at the bottom of my garden - with trout in it, which if I so chose I can attempt to catch, though I only do so as an introduction to fishing with my eldest grandson.

My three sons are grown up, and successful, healthy people.

I have a happy personal life with a lovely lady and more than enough money to live a comfortable life.

When I wish to, I can work on a friend's farm. Today, the weather is pleasant and I have been riding two of my motorbikes.

How about you?

Don't be so stupid as to needlessly introduce personal insult to the forum. You have done it twice, causing annoyance.

I fear for your sanity.

EDIT:

In relation to the snide remark that I could take a spell for Netanyahu (based on your fevered imagination, because I have never mentioned him EVER, and I don't think I ever mentioned the Middle Eastern situation here) let me disabuse you.

I think that Netanyahu is a criminal. He was under indictment before the current crisis. I have NEVER approved of him ever, because his entrenched and destructive policies, have for years destroyed any chance of an accomodation between different people's there.

As for his very good friends Itamar Ben-Gvir, and Bezalel Smotrich who are the real power brokers in his government, they are absolute lunatics, encouraging, promoting and enabling the illegal seizure and settlement of lands in the West Bank which are specifically, according to international law, NOT part of Israel and not available for settlement by Israeli people.

I detest Netanyahu, as do a significant proportion of the Israeli population.

How you could even begin to attempt to link me to this fellow I do not know. Neither do I understand why you would even bring it up. Like the earlier disgraceful slur that a disapproval of Khan the Mayor, was motivated by racism rather than disliking his policies I do not know.

These personal attacks are an absolute disgrace. You ought to be ashamed.
I am genuinely pleased to learn of all the happy aspects of your life, very long may they continue. But it leaves me puzzled, why the explosions of textual anger, extremism and cruelty to one's fellow man in one who claims to be so contented?

Like you I speak as I find and you certainly do not express yourself as a very happy man when you speak so angrily about those who apparently offend you. As I've remarked I see ranting, even raving and fury as your opinions become ever more extreme.

As for my Netanyahu remark, have you no sense of humour, strange in one so happy? It was obviously a joking comment on the way you want to treat some of your fellow beings since you equally obviously cannot be his stand in, so I am very pleased your opinions of him mirror my own.

You ask "What about me?"

Well, being not far off two decades older than you and with inherited heart valve disease now limiting my physical activity. I cannot directly compare myself. Long ago I sold my second home, a bungalow on the Dunstable Downs, when the work attached to keeping it exceeded it's value to me and my main home on the South London -Surrey border alongside a nature reserve and the Vanguard Way to the South Coast and the London Loop footpath around London's country outskirts suited my increasing age and limitations much better.

I sold my my last motorbike, a Honda CB500R some while ago as the lack of garaging space and duplications of transport increased, keeping to my unpowered cycling and low mileage car use, only eventually adopting pedelecs as well as I reached your age. But I now no longer cycle as my heart health and age leave me more at risk of tachycardia attacks when coping with the hilly North Downs.

Now for leisure I content myself with walking in the nature reserve where I am on the committee of the organisation helping with its maintenance and I carry out the entomology photographically annually monitoring that natural population of insects and other small arthropods.

I'm single but with plenty of friends among fellow committee members and reserve membership, plus my neighbours who also live in our 99 home development which we entirely own and jointly manage through our own freehold company.

I'm happy with a fulfilled life, with only the total failure of the National Health Service in London under this equally hopeless Tory government angering me as it has consistently let me down over many decades. That is a very long story on its own, but suffice it to say that the successful heart valve transplants that my mother in the home counties and my lolder brother in Dorset both received have been denied to me. Indeed 17 years after the heart attack that commenced my heart troubles I am still not on any waiting list due to it being so difficult to get consultant appointments here. Its too late now anyway due to my age and the amount of damage my heart has suffered during that long period.

But as said, I'm still happy and will be content to go at any time. We still have one even older committee member at 90+ now who is still active without any heart problems. But I dont envy him since he has severe eye problems and is now down to one only, so perhaps we are all tending to live too long now anyway.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That is national Road Traffic Act speed limits for Motor Vehicles of course, and bicycles including EAPCs are not motor vehicles.

Lawfully imposed Local Authority speed limits apply to all, including cyclists. As do owners speed limits on their private lands.
How to determine which speed limit was lawfully imposed by Local Authority?

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt