Spreading my forks

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Hi All,

I'm looking at the options to convert my Dahon Speed 7, with steal forks, to a front hub motor installation.

Having read on this forum about spreading the forks, this afternoon I purchased some 10mm dia threaded bar and gave it a go.

First attempt I went from the original 75mm to 85mm. Then on the second attempt I spread the forks to 125mm and they sprung back to 97mm, close enough to the 100mm I was wanting, so in conclusion it worked and the forks remained central.

Also, one thing to note, the tangs on the end of the forks are soft metal so don't need much effort to bring back to vertical.

Thanks for the advice, all I need now is the conversion kit...

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Bent Forks

Hi All,

First attempt I went from the original 75mm to 85mm. Then on the second attempt I spread the forks to 125mm and they sprung back to 97mm, close enough to the 100mm I was wanting, so in conclusion it worked and the forks remained central.

Thanks for the advice, all I need now is the conversion kit...
..........and a smooth road for the future! :eek:
Peter

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Thanks flecc they look the job, any suggestion on pressures the spec says 30 to 75psi?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc they look the job, any suggestion on pressures the spec says 30 to 70psi?
Any of those, just judge on the basis of the lowest you can use with secure handling. They have an enviable reputation and a staunch following and you'll be able to be at the lower end and enjoy plenty of comfort.

Many swear by their puncture resistance too, and A to B like them for their low rolling resistance, so a good all-rounder.