Squeaking Bosch Performance CX motor

Bastiarno

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2017
Cheadle Staffs
I have a new Trek E bike with a Bosch performance CX motor. It is 2 weeks old and has developed an annoying noise as per the link to the sound below. It is definitely the motor/crank area and only when pedaling under either light or heavy load. It is obviously warranty job but it is intermittent and my dealer is a not too local so I just wondered if anyone could identify the sound or cause before I book it in with them. Many thanks.

Trek Noise

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have a new Trek E bike with a Bosch performance CX motor. It is 2 weeks old and has developed an annoying noise as per the link to the sound below. It is definitely the motor/crank area and only when pedaling under either light or heavy load. It is obviously warranty job but it is intermittent and my dealer is a not too local so I just wondered if anyone could identify the sound or cause before I book it in with them. Many thanks.

Trek Noise
I guess you know, but I'll say it anyway, just for safety, "Do not open up anything", as it will null your guarantee.
I decided a long time ago never to buy certain things anymore from some manufacturers, one of them was Bosch.
The reason is that here in Germany, there are a great many forums, where Bosch owners tell it as it is.
For instance customer support is apparently very poor, orginal units had PLASTIC gears (OMG!)....To name but two, but you do need to understand German....
Basically, there is little that a private person can do when a unit goes wrong, except to pay someone to fix it, if the guarantee has lapsed.
The usual e-bike front and rear heel drive units can also get problems, but far easier, IMHO, to repair. I have had two with few problems.
I hope you get it repaired at no cost to you.....
Just a thought.
Andy

Reactions: Bastiarno

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I can't hear you sound file. it wants me to sign up to something to access it. A fair proportion of squeaking Bosch motors are caused by the bolts that hold the motor to the frame not tight enough. It's an easy job to tighten them, which shouldn't void any warranty as long as you don't mess anything up.

Normally, you remove the cranks, then the side covers to access the bolts, but I think that you might be able to do it without removing the cranks as long as there's enough space to move the covers enough to reach the bolts.

Reactions: Bastiarno