Squeaking Brakes

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi.Has any one got a cure for sqeeking front disc brake !!! I have tried all the useual bike/car tricks I.E filling off the leading and trailing edges but still the damm thing sqeels away and driveing me nuts!!!.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Thanks Trev. I work 4 on 4 off and I. Now have 4 days off and after just cycling home on my Freego Eagle through a bloody monsoon I will give it a go in the morning and see how it goes.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Try a little detergent to clean road grease from the disk surface.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Have you tried degreaser? Muck-Off do a spray-on disk brake cleaner which kills squeals for me. What pads are you using. Branded? Organic/sintered? What disk brake do you have? What rotor do you have?

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
The brakes are Tectro Dics Brakes and standard pads. They stop realy well but the squeaking gets on your nerves but after putting copper grease on the tray of the pads it's a lot better.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I've got Tektro disc brakes and had this problem, was eventually cured by re-centering the carrier in the disk as the squeal was caused by vibration of the disc when the disc was being temporarily warped when the brakes were applied. It's a simple job to do by loosening the two bolts on the carrier, applying the brake and tightening the bolts in-turn until the carrier is centered. Check when stationary that the the brake disc does not move when the brake is applied and all should be well.

I'm pretty sure this has cured it, but at the same time I applied GT85 to the back of the pads (couldn't find my copper grease), so this may also have helped, time will tell.