Squeezed yet again

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just entering Skipton, and luckily I am keeping an eye on the car behind me trying to beat me to the narrow bit!! If I hadn't have eased off this would have been nasty, and to cap it all they stop on the double yellows on a roundabout exit!! Bear in mind the wide angle of the lens makes the gap look much bigger than it actually was!
Glad I bought my helmet mirror, as I tend to wobble a bit if I physicaly turn my head look behind....

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
Just entering Skipton, and luckily I am keeping an eye on the car behind me trying to beat me to the narrow bit!! If I hadn't have eased off this would have been nasty, and to cap it all they stop on the double yellows on a roundabout exit!! Bear in mind the wide angle of the lens makes the gap look much bigger than it actually was!
Glad I bought my helmet mirror, as I tend to wobble a bit if I physicaly turn my head look behind....
You did not seem to slow much for the peeps on the pedestrian crossing?

Reactions: GloveMakingMan

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Unless its the camera - you seem to be really shifting. Which bike are you on and what sort of speed were you doing ? (just curious)

Reactions: GloveMakingMan

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not worth getting vexed about.

If it were me, I might have moved to the right sooner after setting off in a bid to take control of the situation.

But that may have annoyed the car driver.

The car is safer in front of you than behind, so it turned out fine.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I have only ever seen and heard my own bike, a crank drive with Nexus 3 gears. Your video showing the speed and the sound of the motor with smooth gear changes makes it seem almost like riding a motorbike. Interesting! I seem to lose a lot of speed when changing with the Nexus and find it quite hard to regain. Something i need to look into when i upgrade my bike i think.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have only ever seen and heard my own bike, a crank drive with Nexus 3 gears. Your video showing the speed and the sound of the motor with smooth gear changes makes it seem almost like riding a motorbike. Interesting!
The noise thing is another anomaly.. In actual fact you only hear it when it's quiet and in traffic it's not heard at all. The camera picks it up because it is physically bolted to the bike and the noises are being transmitted through the frame. I find it best to accelerate away from the lights in turbo mode to a high cadence , stop pedalling momentarily , change 2 or even 3 gears and the resume which stops the gears crunching under extreme load. When using eco , or tour the gear changes aren't an issue so used as normal.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
The noise thing is another anomaly.. In actual fact you only hear it when it's quiet and in traffic it's not heard at all. The camera picks it up because it is physically bolted to the bike and the noises are being transmitted through the frame. I find it best to accelerate away from the lights in turbo mode to a high cadence , stop pedalling momentarily , change 2 or even 3 gears and the resume which stops the gears crunching under extreme load. When using eco , or tour the gear changes aren't an issue so used as normal.
Thank you, it sounds like my next bike should have a derailleur, something which i am not familiar with but may give me a better gear change. It looks good in your video, that's for sure!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not worth getting vexed about.

If it were me, I might have moved to the right sooner after setting off in a bid to take control of the situation.

But that may have annoyed the car driver.

The car is safer in front of you than behind, so it turned out fine.
It amazes me that when looking back at a video of something like this it is often apparent that events were not exactly as I remembered! I often review my rides to see if perhaps I should have done things differently, and in many cases I think I should have. I also feel it is a good thing to publish the odd road related incident regardless of fault so that someone might remember seeing one when in a similar situation and react accordingly...
Some people think they are perfect drivers, whereas I know I am not.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It amazes me that when looking back at a video of something like this it is often apparent that events were not exactly as I remembered! I often review my rides to see if perhaps I should have done things differently, and in many cases I think I should have. I also feel it is a good thing to publish the odd road related incident regardless of fault so that someone might remember seeing one when in a similar situation and react accordingly...
Some people think they are perfect drivers, whereas I know I am not.
Can't argue with that.

I prefer not to over-analyse or I wouldn't set out on the bike at all.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
As far as I am concerned the cyclist has right of way, or in your situation the overtaker has to make certain that it is safe to do, if you had been in a car they would not have tried.
What motorist don't seem to grasp is that on a cycle you supply the main power by having to balance and pedal the bike, this also applies to a lesser extant to motorcycles they have to maintain balance too, in a car you are cocooned in your comfy safety cell, just have a few controls to wiggle about, and should you have to come to a stop, can just sit there, why do most motorist find that a cyclist is an obstacle that must be got round at any cost!

I also drive, but I am mindfull of other road users when I do, more so when I see someone do silly things.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
In my experience, taxi's are one of the most common driver to squeeze you in.

Hate thrm

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
As in life, from the playground onwards, there are those who think "might is right" and have a "need for speed" ;)
Couldn't play the video, is it in flv, flash format?