Standover height 29R

helecats

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
I would like to buy a 29 inch wheeled high spec mountain bike but my inside leg is only 29 inches. I think the only options may be the KTM Macina race (frame size 430mm) or the Focus Jarifa offroad Premium XLS (frame size 420). Most other bikes I have seen e.g. Haibike Xduro RC 29, smallest frame size is 450mm which are too big. Most non electric bikes go down to frame size 16 inches, but not electric.

On my current bike a 17 inch rockhopper I have about 0.5inch clearance from the top tube. I tried a 17.5 (444mm) inch frame rockhopper 29R in a shop and I had no clearance and was virtually sitting on the frame.

As it's impossible to try the bikes mentioned above for size, no one in the UK seems to have one, I wondered if anyone has experience of 29R bike sizes verses leg length.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would like to buy a 29 inch wheeled high spec mountain bike but my inside leg is only 29 inches. I think the only options may be the KTM Macina race (frame size 430mm) or the Focus Jarifa offroad Premium XLS (frame size 420). Most other bikes I have seen e.g. Haibike Xduro RC 29, smallest frame size is 450mm which are too big. Most non electric bikes go down to frame size 16 inches, but not electric.

On my current bike a 17 inch rockhopper I have about 0.5inch clearance from the top tube. I tried a 17.5 (444mm) inch frame rockhopper 29R in a shop and I had no clearance and was virtually sitting on the frame.

As it's impossible to try the bikes mentioned above for size, no one in the UK seems to have one, I wondered if anyone has experience of 29R bike sizes verses leg length.

Hi there,

I have the Haibike RC 29's in stock. I will check tomorrow if I have a 45cm frame size in stock. As for stand over height it does depend on the top tube angle and also other geometries of the frame, I.e bottom bracket clearance.

If you would like I can measure the stand over height tomorrow to give you an accurate floor to top tube measurement to see if it would fit you or not.

In the meantime the geometries can be downloaded from the downloads tab here - xDuro RC 29 - Your Electric Bike Shop in Hampshire

Regards

Martin

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi Martin, thanks for your help on this but on reflection I need to try a few bikes. it's not just standover height I would need to test it's the reach to the handlebars and the general fit of the bike. I don't think I could just buy one and have it delivered, if I'm spending that much it needs to be spot on. I'm going to try and attend the Redbridge event in April and try some bikes, thanks.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin, thanks for your help on this but on reflection I need to try a few bikes. it's not just standover height I would need to test it's the reach to the handlebars and the general fit of the bike. I don't think I could just buy one and have it delivered, if I'm spending that much it needs to be spot on. I'm going to try and attend the Redbridge event in April and try some bikes, thanks.
Hi there,

Agreed, I would always suggest trying a bike before committing to any purchase.
As you said no one has these bikes to try...
I wanted to point out that I have these bikes in stock, for you to try, sit on, ride, get a feel etc. So by all means pop down to see us, you can grab a coffee, discuss the range and ultimately try one out.

As for the Red bridge event I will be there and should have a RC29 in a 45cm with me, so you can always have a go for yourself there.

Regards
Martin

nicoli

Mar 8, 2013
Isle of Wight
Out of curiosity, what is it that is attracting you to a 29er? Have you ridden a 29er that did fit and liked the ride, if so what frame size was it?

I'm assuming as you have a Rockhopper you are wanting the bike for MTBing? Looks like you've found another gap in the market, a 650b "e"MTB :eek:

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hello, no I haven't tried a 29er. There are no available bikes to try in a 200 mile radius as for as I know! I could go into bike shop and trying a non electric one but I feel a bit guilty doing this when I have no intention of buying one. I have read a lot about them an they seem to have a number of advantages over a 26 inch wheel. I also like the look of them and to be honest I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to new fads and technologies.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hello, no I haven't tried a 29er. There are no available bikes to try in a 200 mile radius as for as I know! I could go into bike shop and trying a non electric one but I feel a bit guilty doing this when I have no intention of buying one. I have read a lot about them an they seem to have a number of advantages over a 26 inch wheel. I also like the look of them and to be honest I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to new fads and technologies.
You are right, there are benefits of 29'ers but there are also benefits of 26" bikes.
Maybe you could explain a bit more about what you will be actually using the bike for and the sort of terrain you will be covering?

Also if you can send me your inside leg I may be able to help on sizing..

Best Regards
Martin

helecats

Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Hi Martin I think 29ers are becoming more popular than 26, eg when I asked in the LBS "do you have any 29ers" the response was nearly all our mountain bikes are 29ers".I think die hard mountain bikers may want 26ers for maneuverability and light weight for jumps etc. For riding on trails and and roads like I do then I think a 29er will be a better ride. As for size I think I will probably need to get a 26er unless I want my anatomy squashed! The LBS suggested I would need a 16 inch (40cm) so I don't think a 45cm frame will fit. See test below.
26er Versus 29er: The Shootout You've Been Asking For | News | mountain-bike-action

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin I think 29ers are becoming more popular than 26, eg when I asked in the LBS "do you have any 29ers" the response was nearly all our mountain bikes are 29ers".I think die hard mountain bikers may want 26ers for maneuverability and light weight for jumps etc. For riding on trails and and roads like I do then I think a 29er will be a better ride. As for size I think I will probably need to get a 26er unless I want my anatomy squashed! The LBS suggested I would need a 16 inch (40cm) so I don't think a 45cm frame will fit. See test below.
26er Versus 29er: The Shootout You've Been Asking For | News | mountain-bike-action
Thanks,

I'm all too clear on 29'ers over 26'ers myself. Stocking in over 200 'normal' bikes down here ranging from 26 to 29.. As an avid single track fan I am still all about the 26" myself, although the 29" have proved themselves over the last couple of years.

If your just doing light trails and more roads as suggested the 29" would perform better. More so on non pedelec bikes. As with a pedelec with the extra power of the motor the rolling speed is less noticed.

That said if there simply is not a 29" wheel version that is going to cater for your size. Then we can look at a 26" model, with the right tyre selection and set-up etc could suit your ride.

Again do you have an inside leg measurement, just so I can see what you can swing your leg over? I maybe able to help you in your quest?..

Regards
Martin

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

we recommend Chain reactions for standard bike they do a range of 29ER some in small size

Commencal El Camino 3 29er Hardtail Bike 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

There are a load more to look at on there site

for a kit I think A bottle Battery There is at Cyclezee you will need to re rim to 29er

eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits

or Cyclotricity they list 29er kits but ore out off stock off bottle battery's

Electric Bike Kit - from £399 with brushless 250W motor. Buy online at Cyclotricity

Have FUN Frank