Sticky Hub

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
How do I disconnect the power cable to the hub?
I am assuming I would need to remove from bike and take the wheel and hub in to perform the task you mention above??

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Yes take the whole wheel.

Trace the motor cable back to the controller box there is usually a connector you can disconnect at the controller end.

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
I am familiar with the controller and all connections. I replaced this a couple of years ago with help from Daveh.
Is that the only way to disconnect? I dont fancy threading any cables back through my bike or taking them out to be honest as they are really tightly packed and some of the holes are very small!
I am assuming if I were to buy a new hub or repair current one I will have to disconnect and re-wire anyway?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Attach a draw wire to your existing motor cable at the controller end, as you withdraw the cable it will pull the draw wire with it, you can then use it to pull the cable back when the hub has been repaired.

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
thanks again for your help, I will give this a go and take the wheel down to local kwikfit hopefully over the weekend.
if that doesn't work can you recommend any front wheel hub sellers in case I need to replace the whole thing?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I would check the old one out first because it is now difficult to buy a new brushed motor although secondhand ones sometimes appear on ebay and I am sure there maybe a few sitting in sheds gathering dust.

Looking at your photos I am guessing that the cable entry into the motor may not be sealed from the weather and what you said about seeing a mess inside it maybe that all it needs is a good clean up and check to see if the brushes are worn and free to operate.

Last edited:

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
good morning,
managed to make a start last night on the bike and have just completed first step this morning. Managed to trace leads back, disconnect, release front wheel and finally give the hub a good push. hey presto! it popped open this morning. quite a lot of water in there!!! i have taken some photos. I will upload on next post. I am currently just cleaning it up (and the floor!) 3 sensors look a mess but they all seem in position. what else should I be looking for? any good tips to clean this up?bike1.jpg bike2.jpg bike3.jpg

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi Ben,

You can't see the motor windings, any loose magnets or possibly any worn reduction gearing unless you press out the shaft from the hub body but you can check for any burning smell.

Check to see if there is a positive pressure on the carbon brushes by carefully easing them away from the commutator into the brush holder they should snap back into place under spring pressure when released.

Lightly clean the commutator with a kitchen scourer pad to remove any rust.

Check with a multimeter that there is continuity across the 2 pins of the motor cable.

If it all checks out ok, rebuild and retry, if it doesn't the work the fault might lie elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Stone

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
Hi shemozzle,
thanks for the reply.
i quickly realised all i could see are the 2 power connections.
ive given them a clean up and removed as much rust and mess as I can.
it does smell, but not burning just rust and dirty water!
i will check with multimeter too, thank you!

oh, how do I remove the shaft from the hub body?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I believe it has to be pressed out hydraulically to overcome the high magnetic attraction forces of the motor. If you try to do it with a hammer you will move it slightly but it will pull back into the hub, you have to apply a constant pressure with a press until the magnetic bond is broken.

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
Blimey. Ok, I will call some local mechanics to see if they can help.
I think the gears are gone because I have just put it back together and the wheel will barely turn. power all ok and reads fine.
I think there has been that much water/ingress dirt in there the gears are probably ruined and the whole thing will need a good clean.

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
im really tempted to fit a new motor. the state this one is in, once ive gone to the trouble of opening it up I am scared its going to be a lot more than a clean up! the wheel doesnt even turn!
could you provide any links to front wheel hub sellers? I would rather avoid e of the bay.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Blimey. Ok, I will call some local mechanics to see if they can help.
I think the gears are gone because I have just put it back together and the wheel will barely turn. power all ok and reads fine.
I think there has been that much water/ingress dirt in there the gears are probably ruined and the whole thing will need a good clean.
It could be just a magnet worked loose causing the obstruction that needs gluing back in place, I think it would be worth the extra effort seeing as you have come so far already.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think you may be right having seen the amount of water on the floor sometimes you have to count your losses and move on...

Lots of front hub kits sold in the UK.

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
any pointers to front wheel hubs greatly appreciated.
do i need brushless or brush motor, or can I choose?
i believe its a 250W.
any help greatly appreciated

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
what specifications do I need to be looking for?
I think the battery I have (little frog battery under seat) is 250w?
the wheel says 24v on it.
/ Wheel size
/ Watt
/ Volt
/ Brushless - Brush
/ Gearless - Gears
can I choose to go brushless or gearless?

Ben Stone

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm struggling to find any uk sellers of a 26" wheel, 24v / 250 watt front wheel motor! any pointers greatly appreciated!