Stop hating ebikes

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Thats a good site.
A Haibike Sduro 29er is under £1500 on there with shipping yet the cheapest I can find in the UK is £2290 ,quite a difference.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Kinninvie

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Price isn't really an issue, as there are bikes available at all price points. The issue we're having is how do you advertise the concept of eBikes on a national level?
I can feel your pain to be honest. It's a hard thing to sell as it's almost one of those things that will sell itself at it's own speed: in a not too dissimilar way that mobile phones sold themselves. First with massive stigma and dismissiveness from the gen-pub, then everyone wanted one. (I know they're not the same but there are comparisons to be made).

If I had to advertise them myself, I would focus on the things that they can offer to people that would otherwise have to use a car, for instance. I have two saddle bags on mine and often go shopping with it. I can fill a huge amount of shopping in them and then ride up steep hills to get home. I would never dream of doing that on an unassisted bike. I know this doesn't really suit the KTM brand so much. More so bikes like the Kalkhoff I own and others that come across as more sedate :)

Word of mouth is probably going to be the biggest advert for now.

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
Just because I have time to waffle.

Suspect that:

1 - It has to be treated as a series of sub-markets, not a general market, as approaching the US has to be done regionally.
2 - Pedelecs are hamstrung by the same problems as bikes in general - activity perceived as dangerous, excruciatingly bad and limited infrastructure etc.
3 - Promotion as "sports" is optimistic, since it seems to be more about making sports available to people who need it to be easier - either extending capabilities or extending possible achievement.
4 - Promotion as "convenient" might be a better call. In general or 'sports made convenient' eg for the uphills. "E-bike: make life downhill".
5 - Is the awareness bit best for an industry association.
6 - Not sure about budgets. For businesses I have seen minority TV channels (Dave?), Facebook and Groupon have worked well. is it all going to have to be viral.

Ideas for greater awareness.

a - The best I have for general awareness is sponsored ebikes for community policemen, since they need extra range as they are being reduced.

b - I like this video comparing the "road" and "cyclepath" routes through a junction.

Can something similar be done promoting strengths of ebikes vs pushbikes. eg Going to a local offroad centre. Garage containing ebike, car and pushbikes. Gets on ebike + goes to centre, compared to rack on car, nike on rack, drive to centre etc.
Other similar comparisons - hilly commute?

c - Are there focused opportunities where policies are specifically anti-motorist (London, Brighton, Oxford etc) eg for local businesses and cargo ebikes. That is a segment made for ebikes.

d - I think that having loan bikes available for say 2 weeks more easily would make a difference for some.

e - There's something in being able to increase safety by going at 15mph not 5 mph in a 20 zone.

f - Not sure how to exploit it, but my reasons for an e-assist are extended comfortable range and commuting sweat free in civvies ("Ebike: No Sweat"). Is there a comparison about commuters - person in work outfit vs lycra plus shower.

g - Is there something in helping recovery from injury/illness - can start with lots of assist then gradually less. How to link in?

Wildcards

Is anyone specifically addressing the banned driver market segment? There seem to be a few around.

Would love to see a vid of an ebike and trailer delivering a load of bread effortlessly up the Hovis Hill to a suitable commentary. ("That was then. This is now. Ebike for Business.")

Hmmm. What about the idea that the little lad grew up and is now doing the deliveries on his ebike/trike at 86 years old. Or even a 7 ages of man idea lad -> moped -> mini JapVan -> car -> ... -> ebike.

Cobbles. 200m. 1 in 6. E-Bike "Hovis Hill Climb"?
http://road.cc/content/blog/59204-hell-hovis-hill

F

Last edited:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Would love to see a vid of an ebike and trailer delivering a load of bread effortlessly up the Hovis Hill to a suitable commentary. ("That was then. This is now. Ebike for Business.")
That was the sort of vibe I was trying to get across. Good one!

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
>Would love to see a vid of an ebike and trailer delivering a load of bread effortlessly up the Hovis Hill to a suitable commentary. ("That was then. This is now. Ebike for Business.")

Can we crowd-source this? I'm interested.

Try this short script - appropriate accent.

1 - Voice over clips from original Hovis Ad - toiling up hill, rolling down hill, tea and bread.

"When he were thirteen Billy Barlow used to deliver all that bread for a bit of fun and a cup of tea."

2 - Voice over clips from Ronnie Barker parody.

"Now he's 66 Billy can't do it anymore".

3 - Voice over newly made clips.

"So we bought him one of those He-lectric Bicyles, and now it's like he's thirteen again."

Clips required:
a - Bread being loaded into pannier or trailer.
b - Old-looking man in Ronnie Barker style outfit going up hill on pedelec with load of bread looking effortless.
c - Same old-man going back down hill in the feet of style of the boy in the Hovis advert.
d - Helmet cam clips of cycling up and down Gold Hill.

4 - Fade out to slogan "Pedelecs - Add a little extra"

There could be a quip after 3 above.

"But there's never a silver lining. Mrs Barlow has traded Billy in for an older model".

Total length to be perhaps 20-30s.

Any takers from Shaftesbury area for making those clips?

That assumes an e-bike that *can* get up that hill :p .

Ferdinand

Reactions: SteveRuss

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
:cool:
>Would love to see a vid of an ebike and trailer delivering a load of bread effortlessly up the Hovis Hill to a suitable commentary. ("That was then. This is now. Ebike for Business.")

Can we crowd-source this? I'm interested.

Try this short script - appropriate accent.

1 - Voice over clips from original Hovis Ad - toiling up hill, rolling down hill, tea and bread.

"When he were thirteen Billy Barlow used to deliver all that bread for a bit of fun and a cup of tea."

2 - Voice over clips from Ronnie Barker parody.

"Now he's 66 Billy can't do it anymore".

3 - Voice over newly made clips.

"So we bought him one of those He-lectric Bicyles, and now it's like he's thirteen again."

Clips required:
a - Bread being loaded into pannier or trailer.
b - Old-looking man in Ronnie Barker style outfit going up hill on pedelec with load of bread looking effortless.
c - Same old-man going back down hill in the feet of style of the boy in the Hovis advert.
d - Helmet cam clips of cycling up and down Gold Hill.

4 - Fade out to slogan "Pedelecs - Add a little extra"

There could be a quip after 3 above.

"But there's never a silver lining. Mrs Barlow has traded Billy in for an older model".

Total length to be perhaps 20-30s.

Any takers from Shaftesbury area for making those clips?

That assumes an e-bike that *can* get up that hill :p .

Ferdinand
Very funny and creative. Would it work? I dunno but it's definitely an entertaining idea :cool: