Stop Press: New Currie Izip Bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just seen an announcement on the 50cycles site of new Currie ElectroDrive bikes at just £395 each, that's only just above the price of the motor only kits.

Wow! Way to go. Now if they can just halve the price of the eZee models - - - - - - - -!

Here's the link:

www.50cycles.com/

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
Thats a great deal. They've been out the states for a while with many good reports. They use a brush gear Unite motor , simple technology. For some reason they sell for $300 in the states. Frustrating that stuff's so much more expensive here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes that's right, it's what we call Rip Off Britain, but in this case the price discrepancy isn't too bad. It's the first time we've had an electric bike at this price point with a motor that's from a known and trusted name. It also looks fairly normal, most cheap Chinese bikes having oddball shopper styling.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
These bikes look quite good for the money. Has anyone else watched the YouTube video? The motor seems quite noisey but it seems to be zippy.

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These Currie brush motors have always made the same buzzing sound, but it's not irritating. There have been many versions over the years, the original one was a lunatic, incredibly fast and powerful but overheated and burnt out. When revised, it lost a bit of the power and gained a huge finned heatsink, but with time was able to lose that and also become more refined, ending up with the present series. I don't think the motors are convertible to different powers now, and there's several drive transfer systems in existence. There's the fixed to the wheel transfer arrangement as on the IZIP, a kit version with a clamp on boss for 36 spoke 3 cross wheels on any normal derailleur or fixed gear bike, and I've heard of a toothed belt drive version but never seen it. Most seem to have disappeared these days as the Chinese increasingly take over everything bike with their own designs. There used to be various "go faster" items available in the USA, such as different motor internal gear sets for other speeds, mainly faster, but I can't find trace of them currently, though I'm sure they must still be around.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for that link, so that's where it went into hiding, seems like Scott's cornered the stocks of this stuff.

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Currie Izip

Have any of you tried the Currie Izip? Does anyone know of any stockists where I could try one out in the London area?

best wishes,
Isobel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Isobel

Click this link and you'll see the 50cycles London demonstration centre details. Ring Tim Snaith and ask for a demonstration ride:

50cycles

The Izip isn't listed there, but I should think he'll be able to help.