Storck Raddar / Cosworth News

Ian, this implies a level of cycling skill that most of my users don't have.[/QUOTE

The big range booster in the Storch bikes should be the torque sensor, mounted in the rear wheel, if it's as good as the Bionx system, then this will give the most natural feel of any semi automatic control system available, far better than the crank mounteed torque sensors. The motor will only provde power in proportion to the users effort, for slow gentle ambles down the cut or on fairly flat ground huge ranges should be possible. Over hilly terrain the range should be better than simple pedelecs or badly used throttles, because the system will demand that the rider puts in an amount of effort just like on the Panasonic units.
To keep the answer simple:

The handlebar mounted controller is not a just a speed controller. It is a current limiting controller that works in conjunction with the patented torque sensor in the motor. The motor will only provide power in proportion to the users effort.

The motor housing may look similar to the Bionx but that's where the similarity ends. The Raddar motors are built in Switzerland and have completely different characteristics to the Bionx. The torque curve from the Raddar motor is linear (very smooth),flat and silent.

I have tried the Bionx system and found it provides a big power (torque) spike when you start riding (ooh thats strong) then drops off as you build speed. I also found whilst climbing with the Bionx system the power (torque) dropped off as the motor got hot. When the motor cooled down the power came back. I am not knocking the Bionx system, it is indeed a very good system. This was just my experience.

I can assure you the Raddar system is not a copy of anything else, it is unique and designed and developed by Markus Storck.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
It does sound interesting, i'd be interested in reading your detailed press release once its out. This certainly feels more concrete than the smoke and mirrors of the iPhone eBike (gotta love those second letter capitals!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(gotta love those second letter capitals!)
They aren't catching on very much though. Perhaps we should start referring to eBikes and pEdelecs. sTorck rAddar doesn't work though, looks even more odd than the original. :rolleyes:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Agreed, any marketing company would have a fit if you suggested calling your product Storck Raddar anyway. It really doesnt translate well, in fact, the Storck name is mildly off-putting to me, despite a good reputation, if just doesnt look nice on a downtube.