Storing bike for winter

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Before the really bad weather arrives I’m considering what to do with the bike over winter particularly with regard to the chain.
In the past I’ve done a complete clean/maintenance job on the bike but on the odd occasion come Spring I noticed the chain had some tight links, usually from around the derailleur jockey wheels. After freeing them off and on a ride out, on one occasion, the chain snapped. Could this be a coincidence?

Would you recommend removing the chain and soaking it in a container of chain oil through winter, for the cost a new quick-link?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
According to youtube etc waxing is the way to go with chains, check it out but basic paraffin/candle wax with some additions melted and used to soak your chain is apparently better than any lube option??
iirc the additives teflon and titanium oxide? can be found in bundles with wax on ebay for about the cost of a new chain. and will treat probably all your future chains too.. depending on use an annual rewax should fit your schedule fine..

however chains are like brake blocks, consumables, they stretch, and loose efficiency and if prone to snapping i would suggest perhaps check for stretch and replace the chains more frequently too perhaps?

Reactions: JPGiant

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps every so often attach a throttle, prop it on a stand and rifle through the gears while adding oil, to give the drivechain a good coating? I'm about to do that now using my easily detachable and attachable throttle - thumbscrew it on within seconds...

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I would take the chain off, give it a good clean , oil it and store inside house in a lockable tupperware container.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I would take the chain off, give it a good clean , oil it and store inside house in a lockable tupperware container.
experiences with those pesky link gremlins !! or just an inquisitive sniff unaware of the contents, or worse, a toddler finger painting scale catastrophe ..?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Surely any maintenance is true all year not just winter

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Surely any maintenance is true all year not just winter
Salt in the winter makes chains go rusty, but if you drib a bit of gear oil on it once a week, it'll be fine. Also, rain can wash the oil off a chain, so if ever it gets dry, add some more.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
For over 40 years I kept up to 8 bikes in shed over winter. I was completely unaware I might have any problems with chains. I simply lublicate chains when it gets wormer and that is it.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
100% why should winter be any different, I don't treat my car any different in winter, it gets maintenance and washed just the same

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Thanks everyone, I don't use the bike in bad weather, just prep it for 'winter' and leave in the shed till Spring, battery in the house. I'll give the chain/RD & sprockets a good clean and wax this weekend.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If its dry, lube once, then a short ride, then lube again to avoid any missed spots...