Straightening a wheel.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I've noticed that my Brompton front wheel with Crystalyte motor has not been built particularly true.

It's straight enough but it's not completely round...kind of like a minor jalopy effect.

I've had a little look at how to fix wheels and it seems I should loosen spokes on the low point and tighten those 180 degrees on the high point little bit by little bit.

Is it quite simple to do or should I take it to a bike shop rather than risk busting the wheel?

Ben

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
some very good instructional videos on you tube regards just about everything regards bikes...

Evans cycles have a good wheel truing one

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Ok thanks I will check it out...I was kind of wondering if anybody had attempted it and if it really is as easy as it's made to look.

I've tried to do things before that looked extremely simple when done by a professional which needless to say turned into a bit of a nightmare when attempted by me! :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is a more tricky one than a lateral out-of-true to correct Ben. Try it if you feel confident, but don't go too far and lose all the existing build quality. Just try in very small steps.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As flecc says correcting radial problems can be hard. I always get my wheels (radially) round BEFORE I check and correct lateral truness and then tighten/tension up after that.

Trying to correct a wheel that is not round "after" it has been built and tensioned up is harder/almost impossible in my experience.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Ok thanks people, I think I will pay for it to be rebuilt at some point by my LBS, think its about £40 and will stop the annoying slight shaking sensation (that I initially just thought was the road surface).

I take it the wheel can be just dismantled and all the same parts re-used... or should I just ask a bike shop to true it for me?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Don't see why the same parts can't be used and any decent wheel builder should be able to sort it for you.

That said maybe an email to the supplier might be worth while to contribute (financially) to sorting it out.

Regards

Jerry

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Don't see why the same parts can't be used and any decent wheel builder should be able to sort it for you.

That said maybe an email to the supplier might be worth while to contribute (financially) to sorting it out.

Regards

Jerry
Haha yes I can give it a go but my experience with crystalyte Europe has not been good so far. They have not replied to one single email I have ever sent them. Every message requires me to make a follow up call to Belgium. I kind of feel that life's too short and I'll just get it sorted.

Thanks again,
Ben

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Ok thanks people, I think I will pay for it to be rebuilt at some point by my LBS, think its about £40 and will stop the annoying slight shaking sensation (that I initially just thought was the road surface).
I found that I was getting a wheel judder at anything over 80 mph, so had my wheels balanced at ATS ... it was OK then.

S**t ...Wrong Forum! ... Sorry :eek:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Yup, that's about the same speed it's happening on the Brompton! I'll take it to ATS! :)