Stunning Mercedes Smart eBike reaches new heights!

The Cornishman

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2016
Le Ravary
A little update for my supporters :)

Well I have been the proud owner of a unique limited edition (as they are now no longer produced) Mercedes Smart eBike for almost a year, the bike has performed faultlessly, it has been upgraded with new suspension front forks made for Smart by brand leader, these have proved fantastic for my use and I would now not be without them.

I also bought a spare battery for it for use in St Tropez where I spend my summers, this enables me to have morning cycles, return for a lazy lunch then out again on a new battery, on a couple of occasions I took the spare in a rucksack and changed en route allowing a full day out.

Here is a photo of it up in the hills of Gassan overlooking the bay of St Tropez, that was a hell of a ride and in truth I did have to walk about 300mtrs of the climb. Anyway I am back to the awful UK weather for the winter but hope to get out and about this week, I will miss the fantastic Cote D'azure cycle paths as I try to stay alive on Londons treacherous roads, but not long until I'm back out there on my superb designer machine :)

I am sorry for any of you who missed out on these bikes, they are designer and in order to retain their exclusivity I can understand why the have stopped producing them, but I am sure there a still bikes out there that are nearly as good although won't have the unique looks or feel to them.
That really is an ugly bike, the frame looks like a supermarket special suspended mountain bike I bought in Germany about 20 years ago and as for that rear hub...

D

Deleted member 4366

You just have to watch the films of how it was produced, everywhere I go on it people just stop and stare, I'm sure it's not to do with my weight and dodgy legs, I believe it's the uniqueness of it, a bit like a Lamborghini with a handsome man in it arriving in the village :)
Yes, I know what you mean. I've just fixed up a stepthrough bike for a woman I know. Every time I went out on it to test it, I could see people staring at me and the bike. Do you think they might have been thinking, " What's that debonair hero doing on a woman's bike?" I see that your Mercedes Smart Bike looks a bit like a woman's bike, maybe you're getting the same.

Cephalotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2017
Germany
BionX range is only 250, 250H, 350 and 500 watts. The original 200 watts on the Smart will only have been a software detune of the 250 to comply with the UK's 200 watt EAPC law at that time, since changed to 250 watts.
BionX motors use 48V 30A controllers since 2011. Except systems with 13s3p batteries which I assume that the Smart bike uses, too. Those are "throttled" to 48V 25A max. Not because of the motor, but because of the cells (Samsung 18650-22P) not be able to handle more power.

250W, 350W and 500W on BionX motors are just different stickers, hardware and software of those motors for EU and US market is identical, except for the speed limit in various regions and some minor details.

The newer BionX d-Series motor has a 48V 33A controller, no matter if there is a 250W or 500W sticker on it.

Obviously this is only peak power, the more motors get hot quite soon when using them at peak power...

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

Nooooooooo, don't revive this thread, Smarty Pants might return :eek:
Bring him back. Maybe he'll migrate into the brexit thread. That would be fun.

BTW, have you noticed that Oldgroaner is now the 6th most prominent member, and he's only ever posted in the brexit thread. People are now sending him private messages about how to fix their bikes because they think he's some sort of expert! I'd love to see the replies.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe he knows how to pump a tyre up, that might help a few o_O.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Bring him back. Maybe he'll migrate into the brexit thread. That would be fun.

BTW, have you noticed that Oldgroaner is now the 6th most prominent member, and he's only ever posted in the brexit thread. People are now sending him private messages about how to fix their bikes because they think he's some sort of expert! I'd love to see the replies.
Isnt it time one of the moderators (or whoever) knocked the Brexit thread on the head? Its completely taken over The Charging Post and, in all probability, stopping anything else within The Charging Post section ever being seen by others. If there really IS a demand for Brexit discussions to continue, can't Pedelecs set up its own Forum section and give The Charging Post back to the masses?!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Isnt it time one of the moderators (or whoever) knocked the Brexit thread on the head? Its completely taken over The Charging Post and, in all probability, stopping anything else within The Charging Post section ever being seen by others.
A bit of an exaggeration, 9 other subjects have been subscribed to in there so far this week alone, 3 of them yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
A bit of an exaggeration, 9 other subjects have been subscribed to in there so far this week alone, 3 of them yesterday.
Fair point but, probably because I don't have the time (or I'm lazy!), I dont drill down into every forum but just run a quick eye over the "headline" (i.e. latest post/reply) for each

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Isnt it time one of the moderators (or whoever) knocked the Brexit thread on the head? Its completely taken over The Charging Post and, in all probability, stopping anything else within The Charging Post section ever being seen by others. If there really IS a demand for Brexit discussions to continue, can't Pedelecs set up its own Forum section and give The Charging Post back to the masses?!
I've lost interest in the Brexit thread, but it is in The Charging Post, which is for non-ebike / bike related topics. The thread has grown to over 1000 pages which makes it the most discussed topic in the history of this site.

As far as I can see, the Brexit topic has a legitimate place in the forum. It resides in the correct section and given the rate of contributions, there is an appetite for its existence. If there is something else you would rather discuss, start a new thread and it will either live or die depending on how much it appeals to other forum members. Brexit clearly does appeal

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
W
A little update for my supporters :)

Well I have been the proud owner of a unique limited edition (as they are now no longer produced) Mercedes Smart eBike for almost a year, the bike has performed faultlessly, it has been upgraded with new suspension front forks made for Smart by brand leader, these have proved fantastic for my use and I would now not be without them.

I also bought a spare battery for it for use in St Tropez where I spend my summers, this enables me to have morning cycles, return for a lazy lunch then out again on a new battery, on a couple of occasions I took the spare in a rucksack and changed en route allowing a full day out.

Here is a photo of it up in the hills of Gassan overlooking the bay of St Tropez, that was a hell of a ride and in truth I did have to walk about 300mtrs of the climb. Anyway I am back to the awful UK weather for the winter but hope to get out and about this week, I will miss the fantastic Cote D'azure cycle paths as I try to stay alive on Londons treacherous roads, but not long until I'm back out there on my superb designer machine :)

I am sorry for any of you who missed out on these bikes, they are designer and in order to retain their exclusivity I can understand why the have stopped producing them, but I am sure there a still bikes out there that are nearly as good although won't have the unique looks or feel to them.
Welcome home Smart e-Biker.
After your last visit to these pages you tickled my interest in the Designer Mercedes Smart e-bikes and as David Maill of Wisper bike fame offered one up for sale and while you were prevaticating I bought it.

My opinion is that the quality of the bike and its components were excellent but compared to my Haibike and Giant e-bikes it wasn't in the same league.
But for someone to use for commuting it would be fine.
Unfortunately though and as far as I am aware Mercedes has now withdrawn support for your Mercedes Smart designer e-bike, so no spares are available from them.
But all is not lost as when it breaks down all you need to do is attach a long chain and it will make a fine anchor for your yacht in the South of France.

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fair point but, probably because I don't have the time (or I'm lazy!), I dont drill down into every forum but just run a quick eye over the "headline" (i.e. latest post/reply) for each
I use the dropdown Forums heading, last item, New Posts.

That shows posts in every forum posted in since your last visit, so nothing gets missed. That relegates Brexit to just another of the Charging Post subjects posted to.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: D C and Wingreen

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
I use the dropdown Forums heading, last item, New Posts.

That shows posts in every forum posted in since your last visit, so nothing gets missed. That relegates Brexit to just another of the Charging Post subjects posted to.
Thanks Flecc. I hadn't realised there was that option but, having tried it, I can see its very useful. Looks like I'm still learning how this site works!

D

Deleted member 4366

On all other forums that I frequent, including ES, when the arguments go in a circle, the moderators step in and close it down, presumably because they don't want visitors to the forum reading drivel, and they know that sooner or later, it gets personal and leads to bad feelings, which has happened many times on this forum from that thread.

I'm all for freedom of speech, and I've nothing against people expressing their opinions, but that Brexit thread is mainly one guy trying to indoctrinate the rest and it fulfils no useful purpose anymore. It should be closed along with any other threads that are about political, religious or sexual indoctrination.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
On all other forums that I frequent, including ES, when the arguments go in a circle, the moderators step in and close it down, presumably because they don't want visitors to the forum reading drivel, and they know that sooner or later, it gets personal and leads to bad feelings, which has happened many times on this forum from that thread.

I'm all for freedom of speech, and I've nothing against people expressing their opinions, but that Brexit thread is mainly one guy trying to indoctrinate the rest and it fulfils no useful purpose anymore. It should be closed along with any other threads that are about political, religious or sexual indoctrination.
Well said that man

• Disagree
Reactions: oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, it's educational. Within it has just been revealed that most of the Royal Navy's ships are unfit for duty, leaving us unprotected. And that the Army has more than twice as many horses (440) than battle tanks.

Shades of Tennyson's "Charge of the Light Brigade", but we can't even manage that, so it's:

"Into the valley of death rode the 440".

And as well as the link to an educational program with which I opened the thread, on Wednesday I posted this link to another very informative and up to the minute program on the Brexit subject.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow! That is a classic oxymoronic expression of your view Dave. It's little things like that to begin with....then the closing down of all websites permitting anti-government expression.....then the proscription of certain left-wing political groups.......can you see where this is going when people like you claim to be 'all for freedom of speech but....'?

It is exactly the same mind-set from which we hear expressions from others, such as, 'I've got nothing against black people but....!' or 'There are too many immigrants here - it's time we sent them all home!'

You don't have to read it Dave - same as I don't have to read all your advice to people, claiming to be cyclists, on creating illegal motorcycles.

Tom

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and tillson

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Wow! That is a classic oxymoronic expression of your view Dave. It's little things like that to begin with....then the closing down of all websites permitting anti-government expression.....then the proscription of certain left-wing political groups.......can you see where this is going when people like you claim to be 'all for freedom of speech but....'?

It is exactly the same mind-set from which we hear expressions from others, such as, 'I've got nothing against black people but....!' or 'There are too many immigrants here - it's time we sent hem all home!'

You don't have to read it Dave - same as I don't have to read all your advice to people, claiming to be cyclists, on creating illegal motorcycles.

Tom
Obviously some people want to keep the thread going, personally, I got bored by it.
Once most people get fed up with it, it will fall away.
We are not the only site to have a huge Brexit thread, but most have withered away to a handful of diehard arguers of both sides.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
When I saw the the Smart e-biker was back I thought "oh good! " we can have bit of light amusement and some entertaining banter for a change.
Instead we've entered the miserable, opinionated world of the Brexit thread. Come on guys lighten up.