Sunlova - Non existant Support

Geriatric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2012
Essex Riviera
My wife has an E16 folding electric bike, which is two years old. Iv'e contacted Sunlova UK at Sutton Coldfield twice for help with spares in that time. On the first occassion after threats to contact Head Office in the land of the free, they eventually co-operated. This time after many emails I give up. In my case for the sake of a 40 x 10mm allen headed bolt type spacer, probably two quids worth, the £500 investment is now a write off.

I have found that servicing/parts for electric bikes almost impossible to source and normal cycle shops seemed terrified of them - shame because she really enjoys the utility and ecological benefit.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Do you have a picture of the part I am sure you could source one from somewhere ?

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Regards

Jerry

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi-Having dealt with the chinese for over 10years I realised that if you order spares with the opening stock purchase you would (but not perfectly) get some spares but ask for a bolt months after the stock purchase you might as well order a haggiss!!!!
If you can post a photo and advise what the bolt does I will check through our spares to see if we have a similar part.
Dave
KudosCycles

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Additional to above

Hi Geriatric, Welcome to Pedelecs forum.

Don't give up on the bike just yet. If no other suggestions are forthcoming from other members, there are other avenues to be explored for a replacement non electrical part.

All over this country, there are hundreds of retired engineers messing about with miniature railways, steam engines and vintage vehicles, and almost all of them have substantial engineering workshops. Provided with a pattern, they can replicate just about anything of a mechanical nature.

Likewise, there are still small engineering workshops lurking about down side streets who will happily turn up a bolt, or modify a stock one.

Keep the faith!
Bob

Geriatric

Mar 25, 2012
Essex Riviera
Hi Geriatric, Welcome to Pedelecs forum.
Hello everyone and thanks for your support. I've taken a photo of the connector which is 40mm long and 12mm wide.

Its threaded at both ends which receive male M5 allen capped bolts as per the one in the picture. We are missing one, which must have vibrated loose over the years, and the thread at one end of the connector is also dysfunctional.

I've located (after much trawling on Ebay) what looks like the bolts, described as "M5 Stainless Dome Head Bolts 12mm head". I presume the M5 is the width of the thread? although the description says Pitch - 0.8mm. I'm afraid the only pitch I know is the 22 yard one in cricket

However not knowing what the connector thingy is called (I've tried spacer, shim, connector, shoulder bolt), my searches have proved fruitless and I'm stumped.

I tried Halfords Friday, where they have the complete assembly (2 bolts + nameless bitsa) on their own brand 'Atlantea Oceana'.

A very helpful young chap searched their database, but couldn't find the part listed for their model either - origin China no doubt!

I attach a photo showing the connector with surviving allen headed bolt, and another of the bike. There are two bolts shown, the top one is correct and the bottom hexagonal headed nut location is where the unidentified connector lives. I've removed it, and used the nut and bolt to keep things in place, but we've not used the bike since removal.

Any help/suggestions most helpful. I suppose from reading your replies, I'm looking as an end game for a small engineering shop, like those utilised by Fred Dibnah on his steam engine forays?

Attachments

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Its going to be a generic M5 set screw or bolt. There's nothing really bespoke about the majority of ebikes, they generally use available parts. The threaded part is either a spacer or standoff, you could just as easily hunt for a none threaded version and use a 5cm bolt and nut...no need to throw away £500 worth of kit.

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Any help/suggestions most helpful.
Geriatric, thanks for posting the additional information, I can now see it's the trunnion bearing for the folding mechanism. The function of the trunnion bearing is exactly the same as that which provides the pivot for the rear swinging arm on suspension bikes. On your wife's machine, the 40mm x 12mm diam bar fits inside the down-tube, and the two M5 bolts secure the headstock brackets on either side.

What is needed, is a 40mm length of 12mm diameter solid round bar, drilled and tapped each end for M5 x .8mm pitch (ISO metric course). The depth of the M5 thread in each end of the solid bar needs to be exactly the same as your 'pattern'. when the trunnion bearing is fitted, the two M5 conical head bolts are tightened to 'refusal', in other words, they 'bottom out' in the threaded holes. The idea is, with both M5 bolts fully tightened, the struts that are part of the folding mechanism are still free to move, but, not so loose that the frame would 'flex' while riding.

I realise this may sound a bit technical, but even engineers sometimes have to read descriptions several times before the penny drops. ;)

What I would recommend, is that when fitting a new trunnion bearing, the M5 bolts should be coated with Locktite thread-lock. You could then tighten the two M5 bolts just enough to prevent unwanted flexing of the folding mechanism. After a couple of hours, the thread-lock will harden, holding the two bolts in the desired position.

If you have any problems, then pop your original parts into a jiffy-bag and post them to me and I will make up a new bearing assembly for you. If this need arises, I will send you my address via the Personal Message facility.

Hope this is of help.
Regards
Bob

Geriatric

Mar 25, 2012
Essex Riviera
Geriatric, thanks for posting the additional information, I can now see it's the trunnion bearing for the folding mechanism. The function of the trunnion bearing is exactly the same as that which provides the pivot for the rear swinging arm on suspension bikes. On your wife's machine, the 40mm x 12mm diam bar fits inside the down-tube, and the two M5 bolts secure the headstock brackets on either side.

What is needed, is a 40mm length of 12mm diameter solid round bar, drilled and tapped each end for M5 x .8mm pitch (ISO metric course). The depth of the M5 thread in each end of the solid bar needs to be exactly the same as your 'pattern'. when the trunnion bearing is fitted, the two M5 conical head bolts are tightened to 'refusal', in other words, they 'bottom out' in the threaded holes. The idea is, with both M5 bolts fully tightened, the struts that are part of the folding mechanism are still free to move, but, not so loose that the frame would 'flex' while riding.

I realise this may sound a bit technical, but even engineers sometimes have to read descriptions several times before the penny drops. ;)

What I would recommend, is that when fitting a new trunnion bearing, the M5 bolts should be coated with Locktite thread-lock. You could then tighten the two M5 bolts just enough to prevent unwanted flexing of the folding mechanism. After a couple of hours, the thread-lock will harden, holding the two bolts in the desired position.

If you have any problems, then pop your original parts into a jiffy-bag and post them to me and I will make up a new bearing assembly for you. If this need arises, I will send you my address via the Personal Message facility.

Hope this is of help.
Regards
Bob
Bob,

Thank you so much, your kindness to a complete stranger is very much appreciated.

I think the previous post to yours from NRG gives me a lot of hope, especially as the supplier lists hexagonal and round fittings for the spacers.

I'tt get sone and follow your fitting advice (Locktite thread-lock). I'm sure if that had been fitted in the first place, the probable cause of the trunnion failure (vibration) would not have happenned.

Again my sincere thanks and I'm so pleased I have joined this forum.

Martin

Geriatric

Mar 25, 2012
Essex Riviera
Help please.

Have now found a spacer, (used but fine) at a market stall and our original bolt fits perfectly. However I now have to replace the missing one.

I bought (with an academics brain) an M5 x 16 Dome Head Bolt - 12mm Head - thinking this was the size I needed, I believed the 16 reference was the number of bolts in the pack - idiot it of course refers to the thread length, but this is all new to me anyway.

However it arrived today via Ebay at a cost of £3.10 for one! and its too small (thread diameter)

Does the M5 refer to the width of the threaded part (5mm), if so I think I need an M6?

The thread length is 12mm

This seems to be the ticket but? ...

10 pcs M6 X 12 *FREE NUTS AND WASHERS* STAINLESS A2 BUTTON DOME HEAD ALLEN BOLTS | eBay

Geriatric

Mar 25, 2012
Essex Riviera
Thank you Blew it,

I've ordered from your reference and the flange-head matches our one perfectly.

Not to mention the price, £2.56 for 10, v's £3.10 for one!

My sincere appreciation,

Martin