Sunstar Ibike S03

Pede

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Hi,
the reason why I'm here is that I'm interested in a pedelec. I would like to buy me a motor unit which I can mount on my old but loved bike. During my search of a supplier I found the Ibike S03 of Sunstar. Does anyone of you has any experiences with this motor unit?
Unfortunately, I'm not so familiar with this electrical stuff. Would it be a good investment to buy this unit? here is the link of the website. Maybe someone can give me an advice. en | Sunstaribike

Thanks for your help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, they've been around for quite a long time, first the Sunstar SO1 which was a very weak system, but then replaced by the SO2. However, that was never obtainable over here so there's no reports on what it's like.

That website is wilfully misleading in saying the bike needs no modification whatsoever. In fact it has a drastic modification because the unit includes a complete new integrated bottom bracket which replaces the bike's original one, not a job for just anyone. It also has to use the modified widened crank arms and chainwheel. You can see the new bottom bracket insert alongside the motor in this photo of the kit parts:

Pede

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds difficult for someone who is not very skilled in that. :) But it shouldn't be a problem for mechanist, right? So, i can asked someone to help me.
I want to use the pedelec for my way to work. That are about 15km each way through the city, no hills. Is the ibike battery usable for me?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
why dont you just buy a far simpler Hub motor kit?

D

Deleted member 4366

Pede. Don't be put-off by some of the answers you get from this forum, as it's quite common to see bias.

The website isn't "wilfully misleading" in its description either. It should be very straight-forward to mount the motor if you're capable of wielding a spanner. It only requires that you remove the BB spindle and bearing assembly, which is necessary on nearly all kits to fit the pedal sensor. For that you need one or two special tools: a crank arm puller and maybe a BB removal tool depending on which BB caps you have. I reckon about 10 minutes on a good day - just like they say in their blurb. The tools cost about £10 each - cheaper on Ebay and more expensive from a bike shop.
Looks like a good kit. It's Japanese, so should be well-developed and reliable. The company is well established and has been making these kits for a long time. This is the third version, which is just being shown at the big ebike show in Germany this week. I guess that we'll hear a lot more about it soon. Somebody's got to be first to buy it so that we can all find out how it performs. Go for it! (as long as it doesn't cost too much).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It should be adequate Pede, and with a cycle mechanic's help you could fit one.

But I agree with Eddie, with no hills a kit with hub motor in front or rear wheel will be a better choice, simple with overall better performance on the flat and less to go wrong

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
26V 5Ah battery doesn't promise much distance. I should think 36V 10Ah is a reasonable minimum battery size for the journey length you mention.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
26V 5Ah battery doesn't promise much distance. I should think 36V 10Ah is a reasonable minimum battery size for the journey length you mention.
According to the web site, it only seems to give 1to1 assistance.
Indeed they have been 1 to 1 assist systems previously and low powered anyway, so give good range on small batteries, and I expect this one is likely to be the same. Very much an emphasis on "assist", and there appears to be little change between versions that I can see. It's the low power that's prevented them having a bigger presence in the past.

I trust Pede won't take too much notice of the accusations of bias, some of us do actually know something about these.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Low power, low central weight small battery.
1 to 1 assistance using a crank drive can be very rewarding and still offer a decent range.

You'd probably need to be in average shape to get the best out of it's assitance but it would still be far easier than riding unassisted.

I like the idea of low weight systems with small batteries. This way it doesn't detract from the main purpose of a bike.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Low power, low central weight small battery.
1 to 1 assistance using a crank drive can be very rewarding and still offer a decent range.

You'd probably need to be in average shape to get the best out of it's assitance but it would still be far easier than riding unassisted.

I like the idea of low weight systems with small batteries. This way it doesn't detract from the main purpose of a bike.
You have made some very good points there Scottyf and while I know it won't suit all ebikers, I'm one who likes to actually cycle rather than simply let a powerful battery/motor combo pull me up all the hills.

So many people seem to have been caught up in this frenzy of big numbers = better; 36V-gazillion Ah....48V-.....72V...etc, when for many, just a gentle assist on the difficult bits would suffice. I can't seem to recall reading many complaints in these pages about the older Kalkhoff batteries of 26V and they were, (and remain) very highly thought of machines, well capable of achieving the legal ebike speed limit and providing decent range.

The case for greater power is difficult to justify on a bike when another class of vehicle exists which comes with extra power as standard although reg plates and helmet etc are required.

My bike is low-powered but it gets me up the steepest hills albeit slowly. I've had to stop on a few occasions when I've run out of puff but I've never had to push the bike. I get my breath back, re-mount and pedal away. That's the way I want it; just a bit of assistance, not a moped.

Indalo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
No way, it won't cause a problem.

I was forever after a bit more speed, not torque but that was because I could already pedal a good 20mph average. But the faster I went the more unrealised I enjoyed unassisted riding and the satisfaction I could vet out of riding somewhere on my own.

Now I've tailored my bike to handle very similar to the original unassisted bike bar a few more kilos at the rear wheel with a quick release battery pack battery. I literally use the electric as anboost up hills. But i actually always go up hills on my own. This way I've kept the build light.

However I'm getting of subject. I enjoy riding and I think these systems even at 1 to 1 can be very rewarding and even at 1 to 1 you should in theory double your unassisted range.

You also don't need just volts to get you to a speed. Just increase the amps and use a lower wind motor. That way the torque in the amps do all the week.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the mounting kit page it says something about 1:2 assistance? (assist pragram 1:2 or so) (?!)

Mounting KIT | Sunstaribike

Is an interesting idea
It will be good if they are including higher power options on this latest model, that reads as though it's a supply option.

However it may refer to the DIP switch programming settings, the units have six internal DIP switches which they say are for accommodating different wheel sizes, a strange concept. Users of the previous versions haven't found much difference whatever they are set to.

Pede

Just Joined
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for your comments.
The ibike system still sounds good to me. I can cycle and get a little assistance. That's what i wanted. Otherwise I would buy me a moped.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
You have made some very good points there Scottyf and while I know it won't suit all ebikers, I'm one who likes to actually cycle rather than simply let a powerful battery/motor combo pull me up all the hills.

So many people seem to have been caught up in this frenzy of big numbers = better; 36V-gazillion Ah....48V-.....72V...etc, when for many, just a gentle assist on the difficult bits would suffice. I can't seem to recall reading many complaints in these pages about the older Kalkhoff batteries of 26V and they were, (and remain) very highly thought of machines, well capable of achieving the legal ebike speed limit and providing decent range.

The case for greater power is difficult to justify on a bike when another class of vehicle exists which comes with extra power as standard although reg plates and helmet etc are required.

My bike is low-powered but it gets me up the steepest hills albeit slowly. I've had to stop on a few occasions when I've run out of puff but I've never had to push the bike. I get my breath back, re-mount and pedal away. That's the way I want it; just a bit of assistance, not a moped.

Indalo
Hi Indalo....your reply has made me stop and think a bit.....

I am probably (ok..am ) one of those guilty of wanting a bigger better battery, but not necessarily for more power......just more range.....I use the battery I have sparingly I certainly cycle on the flat with it switched off mostly as I want to conserve it for when I really need it.
Also I want to be able to cycle longer distances before recharging, so surely a bigger battery is better in this context ?

Lynda

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I want to be able to cycle longer distances before recharging, so surely a bigger battery is better in this context ?

Lynda
Perhaps we need to remind ourselves here of the distinction between cycling with assistance as opposed to sitting aboard a machine which will convey a person from A to B without any need to actually pedal.

In the case of the latter, even a large capacity battery will produce poor mileage but I know many people require the moped type with throttle, otherwise they wouldn't be able to ride a bike at all. In my case, I don't require a throttle and, like you, I ride unpowered as much as I can, using battery assistance sparingly.

Larger capacity batteries producing the result you seek to achieve are very welcome but I'm happy with the range available from those batteries that have been around for the last few years. Lighter bikes which are easier to ride unpowered would be my favoured way forward and I like some of the Bosch installations as well as Storck machines for that reason. Fast recharge/part recharge is another welcome innovation but for those people who own an electric bike or are considering one, just how far are they likely to ride in one session? If someone is contemplating a ride of 50-100 miles, I would suggest they are probably fit enough to ride a regular bike. I think the demographic of ebike people probably includes very few who might be remotely interested in tackling journeys of that length.

Besides, if someone does wish to undertake such a long ride, carrying a second battery in a backpack or pannier bag wouldn't present any great problem surely, especially as a single larger-capacity battery probably weighs a bit more than the previous lower-powered model so the overall weight difference wouldn't be all that significant. Two times older battery probably produces greater mileage than one newer edition with a few more amps in the case but I stand to be corrected on that by the electricians and electronic engineers.

Regards,
Indalo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
There's alot of bikes out there where by you can add range with a second battery already pre made.
But your right as an easy fix a second battery works wonders.

I could probably cycle 50 mile myself as the stamina is actually good unassisted. I understand the appeal to have that range and re charge less but I've never really done more than 40miles in a day and I've always had a break in between where it's usually been possible to recharge.

Again your correct if you get the motor to do the work then bikes range dramatically decreases. Given a standard 250w hub motor and 10amp 36v battery I'd only expect 15 mile throttle only.

Yet if I pedal myself I'd probably easily double that range.

Part and faster charging with cheaper batteries will eventually see electric coming into their own. As soon as that happens everyone will use electric.