Surprising how quick these Brexit price rises have happened

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am surprised how many e-bike suppliers found it necessary to implement price rises so quickly after Brexit.
However,I am receiving on a daily basis rises between 7-11% on any imported product,whether from dollar or euro currency companies,the norm seems 10%.
I have decided to supply from stock up to October,then unless the £ strengthens will need to add 10%.
I hope everyone thinks that Brexit is worth the additional cost.
If we trigger Article 50 I have no idea how weak the £ will fall,we could end up a very expensive country.
KudosDave

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
i seem to recall that when we joined the '' common market'' that was used as an excuse to put up prices. Any opportunity will be seized to raise prices. Some people will be making a lot of money

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
i seem to recall that when we joined the '' common market'' that was used as an excuse to put up prices. Any opportunity will be seized to raise prices. Some people will be making a lot of money
Since the BREXIT vote the pound is roughly is worth roughly ten percent less. Therefore anybody importing anything will be paying on average ten percent more (obviously this will vary with where the import is coming from). So who do you think "will be making a lot of money"?

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Since the BREXIT vote the pound is roughly is worth roughly ten percent less. Therefore anybody importing anything will be paying on average ten percent more (obviously this will vary with where the import is coming from). So who do you think "will be making a lot of money"?
I understand the reasons behind the increases but I am surprised the speed of the response. I know of no other industry that has reacted so quickly.
I am sure nobody regrets paying 10% more in support of the ideals of Brexit,do they?
KudosDave

• :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant see anything else that has gone up bar bikes so say but its all a load of rubbish just to cash in.

take a hub motor or bafang bike diy you will save a lot more than 10% if done ur self even a bomber bike@14kw

id buy a new Bosch bike but all id want is the frame and the motor. why? because i could buy all the other parts for it and better if i bought them my self.

2nd hand my bike was 2k cheaper with 160 miles on it :)

• Useful

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

I don't think your maths is quite right

• Agree

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Let's all not forget it wasn't too long that the £ had parity to the €.

Also this is good for exports.

I'd still vote remain again though, just wanted a wee bit of balance.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Yay, we now have a Brexit topic in almost every forum sub heading. Happy days. :(
Your not wrong as the new name for this website should now be called Brexitlecs.:rolleyes:

• :D

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Due to Brexit & the falling pound, we are sorry to say we have no choice but to stop buying overpriced Ebikes. We've held off for as long as possible, but now prices are becoming too expensive for us to maintain. We may still be in a position to buy kits and fit them to those ordinary bikes that dont seem to have extortionate prices.

Signed the general public.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Let's all not forget it wasn't too long that the £ had parity to the €.

Also this is good for exports.

I'd still vote remain again though, just wanted a wee bit of balance.
You are right,I remember doing a show in Cologne and Germans were surprised that the £ had parity with the euro.
However at that time the £ was strong against the US dollar.
A perfect situation strong against the dollar for buying,weak against the euro for selling.
It may come back when we forget Brexit and the Greek/Italian banking crisis destroys the value of the euro.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Due to Brexit & the falling pound, we are sorry to say we have no choice but to stop buying overpriced Ebikes. We've held off for as long as possible, but now prices are becoming too expensive for us to maintain. We may still be in a position to buy kits and fit them to those ordinary bikes that dont seem to have extortionate prices.

Signed the general public.
But 90% of the public don't want the hassle of fitting a kit,preferring to buy a built e-bike.
KudosDave

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
IMO, a subsection of members are being very unfair in regards to the recent price rises. Businesses are not charities. If there is a cost to pay, it will ultimately have to be passed on to the buyer. If it wasn't, you shouldn't expect to get support or service on your purchase for very long due to the business having to close before long.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Those who think that Brexit will be a licence to make money have obviously never run a business....we have a perfect storm at the moment,import costs up,revenue down,workplace pensions and minimum wages overheads up....3 of my dealers have already given up and thrown in the towel....I don't blame them,it's very tough running a business at this time.
Ironically tough times are good in the long term,it sorts out the weak and in the longer term,gives a bigger slice of the cake to the good guys.
KudosDave

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
But 90% of the public don't want the hassle of fitting a kit,preferring to buy a built e-bike.
KudosDave
I hear a lot of people saying how expensive ebikes are....
How long have ebikes been around for now, 15, 20 years ? Yet they still haven't taken off in big numbers. Its pretty rare for me to see another one. Its because of them being expensive and they dont seem to be discounted anywhere like ordinary push bikes constantly are. Yet here you are raising prices even more.
You dealers dont want to take any financial hit at all from Brexit..... and you want to pass every bit of it onto your customers..... and i still believe some are cashing in on it to up their profits.
This may end up biting you in the ass through losing sales.

• Agree