Swing cranks.

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
No I agree re price. I have shown my independant cycle retailer to see if he could make/change the ones already on bikes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
although I can see that they can be very useful......Seem very expensive for what looks like a simple piece of engineering:confused:

LafRo

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2010
It is man made in every size you want, industry ball bearings en chromed later.
Much cheaper the the swing crank from Pulse at 230 pounds

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
There have been some people on here before that use them and I think they have all found much cheaper ways of doing it.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello Jaycat.

I happen to have a Highpath swing crank (the 'Pulse' type) in my shed. It was the first thing I tried after I lost my left leg, as it seemed like a good idea.

Didn't work too well for me. A combination of what I've previously banged on about (crank shortener, pedal extender, Gravity dropper) did the job better, in my case.

But the principle is certainly good. It's yours if you want it, for the postage (a few quid I would guess), but it's only for a left-hand crank.

In fact it CONSISTS of a left-hand crank, shortened by Highpath, and then drilled to take 3 threaded positions for the pulse crank itself to sit in, so you can have it at full stretch, or less, or less again.

I'll send you a pic if you think your left leg would benefit - wouldn't work on the right. You will need to buy (if you haven't got) a crank removal tool (about a tenner from Halfords), as it is for the sort where there is a square tapered hole which the crank is pulled onto in the tightening process.

Two final things: one, you don't need a crank shortener with this one, as the crank itself is already shortened.

Two, other people do make crank shorteners to similar designs, and they do tend to be way cheaper than Highpath's.

Alright, three things: you can borrow my crank removal tool!

Allen.

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
That would be FAB!! At least I could put it on my bike and see if, as you suggested, it is the thing that makes the difference :) Then I'd be able sometimes to allow the PA to be used.

I've pm'd you re payment and address.

Many thanks again :)