Swytch bike problems

Alan Smith

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2023
Hi all, I'm not a new cyclist, but a new member to this group, hello all.
I have purchased one of the new style Swytch bike conversions and it simply doesn't work.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. The battery lights up when attached but pedal assistance at all.
I have fitted a pedal sensor from one of our existing bikes, so that potential fault is eliminated.
Swytch themselves have not answered any communication for a few weeks now, I suspect they've gone bust.
I have fitted two of these kits before with no problems.
However these are the 1st generation ones with the battery controls on the battery top.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I don't think Swytch are bust, but from many reports their customer service is rather broken. Your older pedal sensor may not be compatible with the new Swytch kit, so you haven't completely ruled that out.

Alan Smith

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2023
Thanks for that.
Re the sensor, when the kit first arrived the frame mounted sensor was an impossible fit. (fat frame, insufficient gap)
At the time Swytch were still responding to emails and they suggested the alternative V12 pedal sensor, promised to send me one in fact. At the same time I asked if it was possible to test the motor wheel as I had fitted the rest of the kit to the bike. With the old system after assembly you hold down the "walk" button on the battery which proves the motor. This was over two weeks ago, still no reply to the question or delivery of the new V12 sensor. In the meantime (sick of waiting by now) I removed an existing V12 from another bike. No reason at all for the lack communication, unless no ones home.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With swtych is simple , lack of good CS. The directors are the same as Panda ebikes again once they have your money the CS is poor.

Reactions: Laffin ebike

Alan Smith

Just Joined
Apr 11, 2023
Hello all, just and update on my Swytch problems. After a delay of over two weeks,
today I received an apologetic (ish) email from them offering to help. My reply has already been sent, so watch this space. Fingers crossed etc,

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
See you again in a fortnight or so :D.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
oh dear me - more sad stories of poor Swytch CS - a mate of mine on the recommendation of a family member ordered two Swytch kits which took something in excess of 6 months to arrive (and the kits didn't arrive all in the same delivery either with weeks betwen them).

Fortunately the kits work fine although being in Yorkshire, he has quickly discovered their limitations for their use vs his own fitness level.

I only hope they stay reliable as from the number of posts on here about poor CS, he's likely to die of old age before receiving a useful reply from CS.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I have purchased one of the new style Swytch bike conversions and it simply doesn't work.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. The battery lights up when attached but pedal assistance at all.
I have fitted a pedal sensor from one of our existing bikes, so that potential fault is eliminated.
Swytch themselves have not answered any communication for a few weeks now, I suspect they've gone bust.
However these are the 1st generation ones with the battery controls on the battery top.
In defence, generation 1 Swytch is quite adaptable, once sorted - I am happy now with mine on old tourer with separate Yose battery and 'cut-down' front bag with just display and controller inside. Battery (on rear pannier) linked to bag with heavy duty speaker wire. Faster, more 'portable' (lower overall weight) and less attractive to thieves than my new Decathlon 500e. Peter
PS Controller was replaced under warranty with same and Hall effect sensor bypass lead.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For what they are a generic kit mostly bar the battery connection, one can buy a decent hub motor and KT electrics for a lot less money.

Hammie

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2023
Hi everybody, I’ve got the big battery kit and was very happy with it. I’ve used it about six times since purchase (Motorhome). Plugged it in last night and the battery won’t charge? Anybody else have this problem? How long are the batteries guaranteed for?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds pretty typical of any battery not used much, either in sleep mode or a cell group has drained so low that the BMS won't allow a charge current.
One will need to use a meter to check the charge out put as well as the battery output, depending on the readings then may have to delve in to the battery to carry out further detailed voltage checks or get someone to do it for you.
If in warranty then try a warranty claim but likely the warranty will run out by the time they actually reply if at all.

Last edited:

Liz Reason

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2023
Customer service is dreadful. The tyre on the new wheel exploded mid-journey. The CS was - learn to change a tyre! This to my husband who's been fixing bikes since he was 8. After web searching, he discovered that it is possible for the inner tube to get minutely trapped between the tyre and the wheel. He watched a video and managed to fix it. But no thanks to Swytch.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Customer service is dreadful. The tyre on the new wheel exploded mid-journey. The CS was - learn to change a tyre! This to my husband who's been fixing bikes since he was 8. After web searching, he discovered that it is possible for the inner tube to get minutely trapped between the tyre and the wheel.
Getting a tube pinched happened to me - pumped up to full pressure and as I was packing my tools away - BANG - I nearly had to change my........ never mind BUT the tyre wasn't damaged at all.

Whose tyre was it and what exactly was the damage to the tyre - side wall split, tyre bead torn from carcase?

It's difficult to imagine why a good healthy tyre would explode - tubes yes, but a tyre?

Gill Wright

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
We couldn't get our pedal censors to work, and after a lot of googling found that the sensor has to be pointed to the centre of the magnetic wheel, if that helps?

Gill Wright

May 8, 2023

Gill Wright

May 8, 2023
We had the problem of not getting the pedal sensor to work, until I read that the sensor has to point to the centre of the magnetic wheel, re situated the sensor and it worked.