Swytch Kit

DavidN

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 14, 2020
Currently available for £450 instead of £799, seems pretty straight forward if you are not very tech minded, although it is a 3 month wait. What are peoples thoughts on this kit ?

Reactions: Woosh

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Will have very limited range...if it claims 50 km it means 30. 20 mph maximum speed (from assist) would make it illegal in Europe including UK. By careful component selection you could get a kit elsewhere & battery with more than double the capacity for little more than £300. So it's thumbs down from me

Reactions: DavidN

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's almost always available for less than the 'standard' price. Priced about right at the low price, much too high at £799. Quite a small capacity battery; remember battery capacity is one of the biggest costs of any kit. Reports on support seem to be that it is patchy (you need to dig deeper on that, just relying on a not very reliable memory). I wouldn't like the weight of even a small battery on the handlebars.

I would go for a kit from Woosh; for example https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf07kit which costs only a few pounds more (maybe less, not sure on Swytch postage charge). It is less neat with a downtube battery, but larger capacity battery and much better support.

If you went for Yosepower you could get a kit for a little less (along the lines jokskot suggests; his post crossed with mine.

Do NOT be tempted by the cheap direct drive units on ebay, mostly with big power ratings like 750w; heavy, inefficient for almost all real usage, and need an expensive battery. Search around this forum for more on that. Oh yes, and illegal for almost all real usage.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am working on a small battery solution after the feedback I've got for my CS kit for the Brompton.
It should be here by October.

Reactions: DavidN

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I have a Swytch kit. Nice kit, well thought out, reasonable price on offer. Often long waits (months) and support variable. My bike has been off the road for a couple of months awaiting a replacement controller. I like it (When working) but I wouldn’t buy another now Woosh have an alternative. For now, I’d get a kit without battery from Woosh and get a soft pack battery of my choosing from Jimmy at Insat International and put it in a small Brompton front bag.

Reactions: Eagleowl