Swytch Max biker looking to add an extra battery

John Bucklebury

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2023
received my Swytch Max this year and love the ease of assembly. Less love for the range, about 10 - 11 miles. But at 14 stone I suppose reduced mileage is to be expected.

My medium term plan is to add a generic battery to give me more freedom to roam.

Presently chatting to Swytch about the failing voltage regulator.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
received my Swytch Max this year and love the ease of assembly. Less love for the range, about 10 - 11 miles. But at 14 stone I suppose reduced mileage is to be expected.

My medium term plan is to add a generic battery to give me more freedom to roam.

Well unless Swytch supply an 'extra battery' pack I would imagiine modifying the Switch Max\Controller to accept dual batteries, would void any warrenty.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Last time I looked, it was a standard controller, so you can connect any battery you want of the correct voltage. best way to do it is to put a nice easy connector between the Swytch battery and the controller, then put the same connector on your replacement/extension battery, so you can switch them over whenever you want.

Failing voltage regulator doesn't sound right. They either work or they're blown. How did someone come to that conclusion?

John Bucklebury

May 22, 2023
Last time I looked, it was a standard controller, so you can connect any battery you want of the correct voltage. best way to do it is to put a nice easy connector between the Swytch battery and the controller, then put the same connector on your replacement/extension battery, so you can switch them over whenever you want.

Failing voltage regulator doesn't sound right. They either work or they're blown. How did someone come to that conclusion?
Thanks for the reply.

The voltage regulator was my guess. Swytch keep asking for videos of the wheel being rotated backwards. Twice so far.

I am not sure how the battery/controller on the latest swytch is set up. The battery just plugs into the handlebar unit. So unsure how to split off the feed to the motor. Any help gratefully received.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the reply.

The voltage regulator was my guess. Swytch keep asking for videos of the wheel being rotated backwards. Twice so far.

I am not sure how the battery/controller on the latest swytch is set up. The battery just plugs into the handlebar unit. So unsure how to split off the feed to the motor. Any help gratefully received.
You have to look inside the bag.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have the latest version of Swytch kit. The battery is wrapped in tough plastic and is then secured to a unit which I assume has all the gubbins in it.
On the latest Swytch kit, is not the battery and controller all connected together and sealed in the case that mounts on the handlebar connector ?

John Bucklebury

May 22, 2023
Yes, everything is in a rather nice grey plastic tablet. It looks very smart

I would like to buy a cheap battery /controller that I can add to my bike to extend the 30k range.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, but I guess the case has a warranty sticker to stop people opening.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I thought the controller was in the black case\mount the battery fits to ?
It is. Somebody needs to open one so that we can see where to tap in. Also, tell us how many electrical connection points on the battery. It looks like two, but I can't find any clear photos. People always ask us for stuff, but they never give anything.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
On the battery connector, there appears to be two large pins (battery?) and 4 smaller ones.

The two large ones make sense, but the 4 smaller ones might suggest some form of intelligent interface between battery and controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I can't see anything that looks like a contact in the smaller ones, but I have nothing to show details.
Edit; I found another picture that shows something metal in the outer pins.

Many people got their kits with a charger that had a standard two-pole jack on it, which they could connect. Some were lucky enough to get an adaptor as well that apparently converts the jack to a connector that's the shape of the two connection points on the battery. That implies that there are no comms for charging. The connection pins don't match any standard connector, but you might be able to adapt an XT60 or XT30 by filing up the middle or cutting it into two halves.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/128jzwi

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm wondering if the pins are for pre-charging because without pre-charge, you'd get a frightning zap noise and spark when connecting the battery to the controller. On a normal battery, you don't notice it because the connection point is well-shrouded at the point of connection and it's away from your hands, but not on the Swytch. I also thought about a remote switch, like you get on some bikes, but then the charging wouldn't work with only two pins, so that can't be it.

Dav987

Jun 15, 2023

Hi John Bucklebury, I am trying to do the same thing. Did you get to any conclusion? I will try to purchase the XT60 or XT30 connectors and adapt them to check if they fit