Temperature sensor

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I want to fit a remote temperature sensor to monitor my controller temperature.

Can anyone recommend a cheap compact digital thermometer with a thermocouple I can stick to my controller case? I'd like to mount a small digital display to the handlebars.

I do worry that my ezee controller gets too hot on long steep hills, it would be nice to see at a glance, especially with summer and warmer weather on the way :)

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Hmmm, interesting thanks. What voltage will this need though? Was hoping for something with internal battery.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Nice unit!

In the picture of the rear of the case on ebay, it shows a working voltage of 5v which you can pick up from the controller.

Or there is this lcd one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Sensor-LCD-Display-/180639733457?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item2a0ef796d1

I like the look of this one, really don't want to pfaf around with getting 5v from the ezee controller as it's all nice leads and connectors.

If I do get one should I be using thermal paste, or just glue the sensor to the controller case or something? Doesn't need to be particularly accurate (I don't even know the safe operating temperatures of an ezee controller when measured on the case), just needs to be consistent to show me when the temperature is higher than normal.

Thanks,
Ben.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Depending on the ESC a hose clamp around it to hold the sensor, undo a case screw and bend a piece of metal to clamp it on the case with the screw etc. basically make sure it is against the metal, heat sink compound would probably be over kill unless you have it laying around.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I'd of thought that motor temperature would of been more important, but as that can be a pita to fit a sensor... maybe just keep an eye on the current.

Mind you... by the time any run away is noticed its probably toooooo late :cool:

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Alot of people moan about ebay but where else can you get a sensor like that delivered to your door from the other side of the world with 2 batteries that cost twice that in the UK for £1.50?

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I'd of thought that motor temperature would of been more important, but as that can be a pita to fit a sensor... maybe just keep an eye on the current.

Mind you... by the time any run away is noticed its probably toooooo late :cool:

Motor just gets warm to touch, controller very hot.

Ben.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009

I really like the kit which is a MK2 Ezee. However I don't want to spend £100+ on a spare controller just in case this one blows, I'd rather keep an eye on the temperature and stop for a minute if it gets too hot.

I've done about 1500 miles on the kit through the winter with no issues. However, I sometimes take a route which has some horrendous ascents through the Surrey Hills and my concern is that when the weather gets warmer it will be a problem.

I'd much rather avert a potential problem than just keep going until something pops. Nice little temp guage is the way forward.

If the controller does blow I'll probably replace with infinion 12 fet programmable.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I was used to expecting controllers to run between warm and hot, but the one on my Esprit runs cold always, no matter the level of abuse.
So obviously it is possible to now build controllers that don't heat up on a mid~lower end bike, so the question is why don't more manufacturers do so?