Tern Vektron v Cube Compact or something else?

mochreach

Just Joined
Jun 5, 2020
Hi

I‘m Looking to get my first ebike and thought I had it all sorted but a test ride has raised some questions so I’m hoping folk more experienced than I could help steer me in the right direction.

I have following requirements:

• Not so bothered about looks as functionality – needs to be a reliable work-horse (unable to drive at the moment so looking for something to get me about, do shopping, carry sh*t around)
• Seating position must be upright as unable to tolerate leaning forward onto handle bars with all my weight through arms/hands. I currently have a Dutch Oma type bike (non electric) with this setup so I know it works for me.
• Rack big and strong enough so I can carry all my sh*t.
• Easily adjustable so other family members can use it
• Will be mainly cycling on cycle tracks, roads
• Easy to store/transport – foldable?

After looking around, I kept coming back to the Tern Vektron as on paper it looked like it would tick all my boxes. As test rides are difficult to get at the minute, I was about to just go ahead and buy on line but finally found somewhere I could test ride one. However, on going out on it, I found the seating position wasn’t quite right for me, I needed the handlebars both higher and closer towards me. Unfortunately, the guy demoing it for me didn’t really seem overly familiar with the way the Tern Andros stem works so couldn’t get it set satisfactorily. With other bikes I’ve seen, such as the Cube Compact, the stem can be raised/lowered independently of the handlebar position. But from what I can see all the Andros stem’s flexibility is at the handlebar and it can be adjusted to its maximum height but then I wouldn’t be able to bring it closer to my body and vice versa. Is this correct? I’m loathe to discount the Vektron just on the basis of the shop guy’s ignorance.

I did also try the Cube Compact Hybrid and I liked it as it was easily adjustable to give me a good riding position. The main potential drawback with it (apart from it not folding) was how much I would be able to carry on it as the rear carrier seemed pretty small.

So am I correct about the Andros stem on the Vektron? Anybody have any experience of the Cube Compact and it’s load carrying capability? Or are there any other bikes I could consider, given my requirements?

thanks