That's cheating!

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
I've had my Compy for one week and I've used it every day. I've gone on longish treks and short hops to the local shop, (though that does involve a 15% hill). No matter what the trip I've always attracted comments (it's Cornwall, we get our entertainment where we can) and every single day one comment has included the phrase "that's cheating". The Compy is about as far from a stealth ebike as you can get without a neon sign but they can't help themselves.

Already I'm starting to get ratty with people who say it - is it a universal problem? Do I need a badge or a tee shirt? And what would it say? "F off, it's not cheating!" All suggestions welcome!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I tend to get in first and say I'm cheating, that takes away the first and usually only thing they can think of saying.

Reactions: jackhandy

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I tend to get in first and say I'm cheating, that takes away the first and usually only thing they can think of saying.
Indeed, I've said it a few times. Once into a headwind I overhauled a younger lycra clad chap and said. "Don't worry, I'm cheating, it's electric" His reply said it all. "Thank f***" he replied.

Reactions: Woosh and NZgeek

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Already I'm starting to get ratty with people who say it - is it a universal problem? Do I need a badge or a tee shirt? And what would it say? "F off, it's not cheating!" All suggestions welcome!
Just say " aye, I know" They have no answer to that. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I pass a cyclist and they look momentarily surprised, I immediately say "I'm cheating, it's electric" with a smile. That keeps them happy!

Reactions: Woosh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If it's a roadie who calls you a cheat, you could say:

"At least my cheating is not intravenous."

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I used to get that years ago when I passed someone peddling a sit up and beg bike up a hill on my quite expensive road bikes.

I think it's just something that pops into some people's mouths when you pass them. Better than the uptight sods who immediately started to race you when you just wanted to go at your own pace. Or the Lance Armstrong wannabes, who when they passed looked closely at your face to see if you were working hard and hoped you were so they could smile in a superior way.

Very competitive some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Its probably been mentioned before.. But dont the pro's cheat? Cosseted away in the pack being sucked along without expending any energy until they blast to the front looking as fresh as a Dai..... E-Biker!!

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
If I'm overtaking someone on a hill, I'll point at the battery and say "Don't worry, I've got some help". If it's someone being smart mouthed, I just reply "Yeah, I know but it really helps with the Emphysema.". Usually shuts them up.

Reactions: NZgeek

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
If I'm overtaking someone on a hill, I'll point at the battery and say "Don't worry, I've got some help". If it's someone being smart mouthed, I just reply "Yeah, I know but it really helps with the Emphysema.". Usually shuts them up.
Funny you should say that two guys half way up a hill the other day and one said to the other hey thats one of those electric bikes isnt it,i replied of course it is i dont ride up hill like this without one.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Once I've said I'm a cyclist in conversation, I'm rather fond of following it up with "I cheat, it's electric" delivered in good humour. Most people are then intrigued, and it starts off a very pleasant conversation about how good e-bikes are these days (advances in battery technology from lead-acid in particular!).

The small number of sniffy attitudes I've experienced have been, sadly, from bike shops.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The small number of sniffy attitudes I've experienced have been, sadly, from bike shops.
That's fear. They know nothing about the electrics and are frightened at the thought of having to deal with that aspect.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's fear. They know nothing about the electrics and are frightened at the thought of having to deal with that aspect.
I agree, though I suspect that fashionable "proper cyclist" snootiness also comes into it. I had an employee of a popular Birmingham bike store nearly suggest my Ave XH-3 was an expensive BSO on the basis of a seat locking post that wasn't working reliably.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, though I suspect that fashionable "proper cyclist" snootiness also comes into it. I had an employee of a popular Birmingham bike store nearly suggest my Ave XH-3 was an expensive BSO on the basis of a seat locking post that wasn't working reliably.
That's certainly true for many, especially the shops dealing with roadies. The fear element is most likely more important in the general bike outlets.

When Halfords quietly let slip that they were selling a Carrera SPARC e-bike in some outlets I popped into their major outlet in my area to see if they had one. The manager and cycle mechanic there there firmly insisted that Halfords didn't do electric bikes and wouldn't be doing at any time. My suggestion that they checked with head office was met with stubborn insistence that they didn't need to do that, I was wrong and that was that.

It was clearly a prospect they couldn't entertain so denial was their defence.
No doubt if eventually sent one they'd avoid trying to sell it and later insist there was no demand!