The delivery boys (and girls) are back

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
According to today's Telegraph, Waitrose in Poole has a number of delivery electric bikes (panasonic units)towing behind delivery boxes.

You may think you have heard something similar before. In the last two years Waitrose has offered in selective stores the possibility of borrowing a trailer that can be attached to the seat stem. You collect your food in the trailer without the bike - pay for it hook trailer to bike and you are away - the only problem is that you have to bring the trailer back in three days. There was nothing electric about that arrangement.

This is different. This is Waitrose staff filling up a trailer (axle attached and insulated) and delivering to you (If you are in Poole).

Apparently there are a number of staff who are very keen to volunteer as delivery staff on the bikes - mostly teenagers who have not got their license. Is this a way to get the young into electric biking?

Waitrose comments that it is cheaper and greener than putting a real van onto a congested road

It does seem to be an electric bike news day today!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes I'd heard of this initiative before, and I think it may be in more than one branch of Waitrose.

I must admit I'd have loved e-power as an 11 year old in the 1940s doing double paper rounds each weekday morning and evening and a butchers round on Saturdays using all steel heavy trade bikes in a hilly area.

E-bikes didn't exist then of course, and the 14 year old minimum could have been a hurdle. :(

Anyway I was already riding motorbikes in the trade at 14. :D