The Dreaded Cut Out On My 3 Week Old Crossfire argh!!!

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
So I've only done 70 miles in 2 Saturday rides, went out today, 12 miles in, going up hill and the display died. I got it back on but it was locked in tour mode and seemed to take a few seconds to respond to my button inputs. I slid the display off and on which resolved that issue. However, I had no power, nothing going to the back wheel even after removed the battery a few times and slid the display off and on. I'm back home now, luckily there was only one hill which I had to push as I had done all the climbing outbound.

Current situation, still no power to the wheel but the display is working fine, also the walk assist isn't working.

Apart from taking it back tomorrow, has anyone got ant suggestions so I can ride it there?

Cheers

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i thought the no power issue was resolved by switching the switch on the battery itself off then on again

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
That did nothing, I've got a feeling it's the display. It has a lever you depress to slide it off but I can remove it without pressing the lever.

D

Deleted member 4366

The display contains the switch for the motor controller. It's a complicated arrangement that sends a command from the CPU inside the display to open a mosfet (electronic switch) that then powers the controller. If the CPU doesn't operate that switch, you can have what appears to be a normally operating LCD, but the motor controller has no power. You get the same if the connection between the mosfet and the controller is interrupted in any way.

So, check that all the LCD connections are clean and that it's properly located so that good contact is made.

I didn't realise that the LCD was irremovable. It could be the contacts that are causing all the cut-out problems, not the battery.

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
I've cleaned the contacts but still no joy. I noticed the indicator bar on the display that shows the immediate battery use goes up when I push the walk assist button even though the wheel doesn't turn. As d8veh says I thinks it's the display.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Only the newer models have a removable display (which can be switched to MPH).
Older models (with the animals) have a non-removable display.

The older display has been known to fail - the on/off switch can fail, leaving you with a bike which can't be swtiched on. In those cases, the display will be replaced with a new style one under warranty (as happened to my partner's one).

D

Deleted member 4366

I must admit that i don't like the idea of removable displays from a reliability point of view. The software can get disturbed if the contact to the battery wire is bad.

spiderno7

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2014
Sutton Coldfield
I've had a crossfire for over a month.... 400 miles, 3 battery cutouts. I never leave home without the battery key so I can disconnect the battery and reconnect to get it going again. I thought they had sorted it out but obviously not.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeighPing

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
This is more terminal than the bog standard cut out. Nothing would get it going, they checked all the connections and still no joy. They say it could be the hub, but it's only done 70 miles, I was going up a long hill when it died, don't know if that caused the issue.