The exciting new bike and the yet more exciting search for accessories!

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
I'm expecting my RadRhino to arrive any day now. Yes, I did bite the bullet and order it. I really liked the Woosh bikes, but for what I needed, the Radhino had a little advantage. I'll write a review once I've tried it.
upload_2018-4-7_12-54-41.png

One thing though, am I the only one who gets absorbed into looking for new, exciting accessories for a new bike? As much as I hate to admit it, but this seems like a pattern for me. The unused bits and pieces I've got left from previous bikes attest to this embarrassing fact.

Do you guys do the same, sometimes? Or, am I the only weirdo here? :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Hmmm! That looks like quite a heavy bike. Accessories will inevitably make it heavier. At least 1kg for a lock, 1/2kg for tools and puncture kit. 200g for a decent bell. That's already a 7% increase in the bike's weight. Approximately, each 1kg of added weight means a 1% increase in pedal effort on any hill.

On the other hand, you could accessorise to lose weight. Chuck the rack and mudguards (-1kg), fit standard rims and thin tyres (-1.5kg), lightweight crank-set (-1/2kg), rigid forks (-1kg), chuck the side-stand (-1/2kg), razor-blade seat (-1/2kg). It would go pretty well then.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: PeterCo

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Hmmm! That looks like quite a heavy bike. Accessories will inevitably make it heavier. At least 1kg for a lock, 1/2kg for tools and puncture kit. 200g for a decent bell. That's already a 7% increase in the bike's weight. Approximately, each 1kg of added weight means a 1% increase in pedal effort on any hill.
Yes, it's 32kg. I'll be carrying my daughter on it. I'm 83kg and she's 20kg. The bike max load is 125kg.

BTW, the bell is embedded into the left brake lever. I don't carry a puncture kit and my town is mostly flat.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Nice L1e-A. Will you register it or just take the risk?
For the time being, probably not. I only use it to take my daughter to school and park and to run errands. I work from home and almost never travel long distances or on motorways. I will probably go ahead and register if I start using it for commuting.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For the time being, probably not. I only use it to take my daughter to school and park and to run errands. I work from home and almost never travel long distances or on motorways. I will probably go ahead and register if I start using it for commuting.
Might be an idea to remove the rear number plate mount temporarily then. It kind of gives the game away, making it difficult to plead ignorance if stopped.

E Moses

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2016
UK
Might be an idea to remove the rear number plate mount temporarily then. It kind of gives the game away, making it difficult to plead ignorance if stopped.
You got me there. This is precisely what I intend to do. Not to mention, it's really ugly.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Cephalotus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 22, 2017
Germany
For the time being, probably not...
I have no idea about the rukes in UK.

What's the disadvantage of registering an ebike as an L1e-a vehicle in UK?

(In Germany the huge, HUGE advantage is the insurance and in the 5 years I rode my speed pedelec I never noticed any disadvantages. Okay, I always stop at red lights with it.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What's the disadvantage of registering an ebike as an L1e-a vehicle in UK?
Firstly an S class bike is not L1e-A, that;s only for up to 25 kph. S class are L1e-B, full moped class. For those:

Roads only, no use of any cycle path/track facility.

Motorcycle BS approved helmet to be legal.

MOTs at three years old.

Driving licence group Q minimum required.

CBT training to get that licence if not already qualified.

The helmet rule also applies to L1e-A.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
(In Germany the huge, HUGE advantage is the insurance and in the 5 years I rode my speed pedelec I never noticed any disadvantages..)
Isn't Germany the same as the Uk in that you aren't allowed to use cycle tracks?